• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Saving the MLE for a rainy day?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jon

~
Reaction score
I don't know if this is feasible or desirable, but during the course of the season, if someone we are interested in is released or becomes available ... is there any reason we couldn't offer them part of the MLE or perhaps the bi-annual and get an advantage over teams which can only offer the minimum?

There's no telling who's going to step-up (or decline) this season or who might suffer a season ending injury. Perhaps there's an advantage to hold on to the MLE until we know what we need?

I don't *think* we can use it to balance a trade, or that alone would be useful, but typically during the course of a season there are players who are outright released (Tim Thomas, Alonzo Mourning, Chucky Atkins, etc).

Well Jon, this becoming more and more an option. With little quality left out there in the free agent market, it is difficult to see us utilising the entire MLE. I assume that you can use the MLE at any stage of the season, but I would appreciate any clarification there.

Always good to have flexiblity I suppose, especially if an unexpected injury occurs (that is any injury to a player not named Larry). However we would like to see something this offseason.

Ferry could want some flexibility for next summer, when the FA class is at it's best.. But, he is probably waiting back, for a players' value to go down until a certain point..

Give me Sprewell for the MLE!

Just kidding....well kinda...this is the most boring offseason ever.

He could give a released player the full MLE for just the rest of '06/'07. Assuming it'd be pro-rated, the actually $$$ out of hand would be far less then the $5.5M MLE, and as long as he doesn't sign them beyond '06/'07 (which might be another option), it wouldn't effect our luxury cap situation '07/'08.

There's gotta be some sort of upside to making no moves! :O

This year's FA class was the worst in memory. Next year's will be awesome. Ferry isn't going to spend money just to spend it. We don't need more Damon Jones's on the team. Next year you will be thankful.

I can't see the MLE getting used this offseason. There's really not much left to use it on. The remaining players could get signed for the BAE or the veteran minimum.

Next year's FA market is potentially better but most of the players who could help the Cavs the most will likely cost more than the MLE.

JonFromVA said:
I don't know if this is feasible or desirable, but during the course of the season, if someone we are interested in is released or becomes available ... is there any reason we couldn't offer them part of the MLE or perhaps the bi-annual and get an advantage over teams which can only offer the minimum?

There's no telling who's going to step-up (or decline) this season or who might suffer a season ending injury. Perhaps there's an advantage to hold on to the MLE until we know what we need?

I don't *think* we can use it to balance a trade, or that alone would be useful, but typically during the course of a season there are players who are outright released (Tim Thomas, Alonzo Mourning, Chucky Atkins, etc).

Starting January 10 of each season, the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual, Larry Bird, Early-Bird and Non-Bird exceptions begin to reduce in value. For example, if there are 180 days in the season, then these exceptions (if they are still unused) reduce by 1/180 of their initial value each day starting January 10. If a team uses their $5 million Mid-Level exception on February 1, then the exception is actually worth $4,361,111.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#20

I assumed the salary would be pro-rated based on how far in to the season, but that clause means a player could play 2 months for someone else and still receive the full MLE from us.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."