• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tyson Chandler to exercise ETO?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smooth

Get Royce or Die Trying
Staff member
Reaction score
If he does this, he should jump to top of our FA list:

Chandler a Free Agent in 2010?
June, 11, 2010
By Chad Ford

It looks like I may need to add another name to my Top Free Agent List this summer.

A source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Bobcats big man Tyson Chandler is seriously considering exercising an early termination option on his contract this summer. If Chandler terminates his contract early, he'll forfeit the remaining $12.6 million he's due from the Bobcats and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.

Chandler, who is now 27 years old, had his best year during the 2007-08 season averaging 11.8 ppg and 11.8 rpg while shooting a scintillating 63 percent from the field. At the time he was considered one of the best defensive centers in the NBA. However, Chandler has struggled with injuries the last two seasons in New Orleans and Charlotte. The same source said that Chandler is now totally healthy and working out in California preparing for the 2010 season.

"He's gotten all of his issues taken care of," the source said, "and he's gearing up to have a big year next season. I think you're going to see the same Tyson who played so well for the Hornets a few years ago."

Chandler almost became a member of the Thunder in February of 2008. The Hornets traded Chandler to Oklahoma City to get under the luxury tax, but Thunder GM Sam Presti rescinded the trade when the Thunder's team doctor became concerned about an injury to Chandler's left big toe. The toe never became an issue, but minor ankle and foot issues nagged him all year last year. Both issues started to clear up by the end of the season.

Now that the injury is behind him, Chandler is looking to seize an opportunity. With so many teams under the luxury tax next season and only five or six top tier free agents out there, a number of teams are going to be left with lots of money to spend this summer. Not everyone can land LeBron or Dwyane Wade. The other thing working in Chandler's favor is that there aren't really any true centers in free agency this summer and a number of teams with cap space including the Thunder, Knicks, Timberwolves, Wizards and Heat need a center badly.

Pair those two factors together and Chandler could be in a for a big payday this summer. While it's unlikely he can get a starting contract at $12.6 million per year, he should be able to snag a 4 or 5 year deal in the $10 million per year range and get some security before the collective bargaining agreement changes next summer.

If Chandler exercises the termination option in his contract, it will leave the Bobcats with just Nazr Mohammed and DeSagana Diop, in the middle. However, getting Chandler's $12.6 million off the books next year would give the Bobcats between $6 and $7 million in cap room this summer to try to replace him.​

I think the Thunder will throw $7-8 million at him. He'd be a perfect fit for that team. I wish we could somehow sign him for the MLE, but we're not getting any free agents until LeBron re-signs. And he'll make more than the MLE.

Saw this earlier. I think it would be a mistake for Chandler to opt out this year not because he won't get paid (he'll get a nice deal that will guarantee him money), but because he could increase his value by having a bounce-back year and hitting the market in 2011.

Wow...talk about taking a pay cut. He's worth about the MLE in my estimates.

Haywood is probably about the only center with talent (in the class of players below the FA prizes) on the FA market. Camby signed a two-year extension that pays him about $8M this year and $9M next year with the Blazers. At 27, I think Chandler can do a longer-term deal with similar numbers. His injury history may scare some teams, but you know some GM is going to take a chance on him, especially if they think they could sign him in that $7-8 M/year range.

Last edited:
Tyson will get about 10 mill a year. He is a legit beast defensively and on the boards when healthy and he is still young. Only way we can get him is through a S&T and i am not sure we have anything the bobcats want unless they want mo. That said, i would trade mo for him in a heartbeat. Need a legit center on this team.

I agree some team will take a chance on him. I may have undercut his value a bit at the MLE. Andy V is worth about $8 mil a year, right? I guess Tyson is around that area with 8pts 9 rebs a game, his size, his youth, and his defense. He did play on Team USA and actually played well.

Last edited:
It would be great if the Cavs could somehow acquire him.

I think there will be certain teams who want him. I think Miami needs a center, so does the Thunder (they had tried to trade for him before). Both teams have cap space to go after him. Miami will obviously go for Lebron, Bosh, Amare, or a couple of others before going after Chandler.

Hmm, wonder if we could implement some sort of sign and trade involving Mo, if Chandler is in fact healthy. I don't think the Bobcats have been happy with Felton.

One thing is for sure, it is harder to find a quality big man like Chandler than it is a quality PG like Mo. I'd rather be playing Boobie at PG than Andy at C, for instance.

I agree some team will take a chance on him. I may have undercut his value a bit at the MLE. Andy V is worth about $8 mil a year, right? I guess Tyson is around that area with 8pts 9 rebs a game, his size, his youth, and his defense. He did play on Team USA and actually did play well.

I'm sort of with you on value because I think CP3 inflated Chandler's a ton. Chandler is nothing more a big athletic body. He's a good rebounder, but he has no offensive game. Not to mention, he's averaged more than 1.5 blocks per game in a season twice in his career (averaging 1.1 in his best NBA season in NO). Not trying to say that blocks are a great indicator of defensive prowess, but I would think that to get this rep as a great defender at the center spot, the ability to turn away shots with greater regularity would be a stronger point of his game. To put it in perspective, Varejao blocked .9 shots per game this year, while Chandler has averaged close to 1.1 blocks over the last three seasons.

IMO, Varejao actually does the little things to help a team win games and actually deserves that contract. Chandler has always and will always be a project player that will show you flashes on one night and play mediocre the next.

A defensive beast at C is exactly what we need to pair along with Antawn in order to get by in the front court. If there was a way to S&T for him, I'd be all for it.

A defensive beast at C is exactly what we need to pair along with Antawn in order to get by in the front court. If there was a way to S&T for him, I'd be all for it.

I JUST got where your username is from.

Best book ever.

I'll pass. Can't score, can't shoot and doesn't fit next to either Varejao nor Hickson.

I'll pass. Can't score, can't shoot and doesn't fit next to either Varejao nor Hickson.

He fits next to Jamison though...

Who do you propose we bring in that can both guard Dwight Howard reasonably well and fit next to AV and/or Hickson?

He fits next to Jamison though...

Who do you propose we bring in that can both guard Dwight Howard reasonably well and fit next to AV and/or Hickson?

Who said he can guard Dwight Howard? Every time I turned on the Charlotte-Orlando series Chandlers was getting double and triple help and was in foul trouble.

Id rather have Jermaine O'Neal as a stopgap or as part of a tandem with someone else and make Howard play some defense.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."