• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Scott's agent: "agreed to essential terms, details to be worked out"

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would you prefer as the Next Coach

• Byron Scott

Votes: 79 19.5%
  • Brian Shaw

Votes: 225 55.6%
  • Either one is fine

Votes: 88 21.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Windy: Offer to Shaw or Scott could come soon

I prefer Shaw for a few reasons. He is a former NBA player who seems to be well respected by his players (Shaq/Kobe), he has worked under the best coach in NBA history, he is well versed in the triangle offense, and he seems to "get" players. What I mean is that he understands what players go through and I think he can relate to them on level Mike Brown could not (due to MB lack of playing experience). Shaw would need to surround himself by quality assistants. I wouldn't mind Scott but I feel as if we already know what we're getting from him and that his teams implode after 3-4 years. Knowing Gilbert the risk taker, I think he would be willing to risk on an unknown like Shaw, than a safer pick in Scott.

I'd also love to see whatever coach that comes here bring along a good big man coach with him... I've also thought guys like Kareem, Ewing, Ray, etc., have played a big part in helping the development of the bigs in LA, Orlando and Boston... While it isn't absolutely 100% necessary, it would be nice to have a coach who could really work with the bigs considering how important bigs are in this league and how much someone like that can really help...
I remembered listening to Jabar on Mike and Mike and they (and he) were stunned no one has offered him a job..they though it was his height that had something to do with it..ugh..having him work with our bigs would be excellent..

I remembered listening to Jabar on Mike and Mike and they (and he) were stunned no one has offered him a job..they though it was his height that had something to do with it..ugh..having him work with our bigs would be excellent..

Doesn't Kareen serve in this role w/ the Lakers? I'm pretty sure they brought him on to work with Bynum.

I think we're stuck waiting on Phil for both of those guys.

Give me BILL. I'm surprised with Gilbert's Detroit background that we haven't heard more about him.

My only concern with Bill is the way these athletes are pampered these days, he's going to start rubbing players the wrong way and his act will get old real quick.

Yes, the guy is appealing but would a good team of NBA players truly respect him never having been a head coach? Or would he be another Brown kind of thing? Do the Cavs really want yet another coach who has never coached before?

If LeBron respects him, the team will respect him. If Shaw can teach the triangle, LeBron will buy into it 100% and that will then lead to everyone else buying into it. My feeling is that the triangle is really hard for everyone to buy into unless you have a dominant figure (Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, Kobe) willing to put the time in to understand the system inside and out so he can help the other players out on what they need to do.

Lets get that contract in front of Shaw. Throw some MLE at Shannon Brown, who can help expedite the Triangle learning curve. Resign Shaq and Z (good components for the Triangle), along with that "other guy " and, call it an off-season...

Lets get that contract in front of Shaw. Throw some MLE at Shannon Brown, who can help expedite the Triangle learning curve. Resign Shaq and Z (good components for the Triangle), along with that "other guy " and, call it an off-season...

I would take Shannon Brown back for sure. He still has incredible athleticism and his game has improved by leaps and bounds since he left Cleveland. He would be our starting 2-guard for sure.

Naw. I believe Scott thinks LeBron is staying and I also believe Scott wants the job. If Jackson gets the okay to proceed from his Docs, Jackson will remain coach of LA. I also think the Cavs will interview Shaw again but will then offer the job to Scott THIS WEEK. Scott will accept. Gilbert is going to be the aggressor with this even he does not know "for sure" that LeBron is staying... I think he does know though... Scott will be our coach this week. If Doc Rivers retires, Shaw just might be the next coach of Boston.

This Chicago stuff is funny to me as well. This Tom Thieb guy who was the assistant at Boston did not seem to be the choice of the Celtics to take over if Rivers retired anyway. Why is that? World Wide Wes and Thieb were connected and Thieb is now the coach of the Bulls. Does anyone believe LeBron is all smiles just because Thieb is coaching the Bulls? Hell no. In fact; I'd say that's a big o'l minus to LeBron.

All signs for me point to Scott being offered and then he accepts as coach of the Cavaliers. LeBron stays.

I agree that Gilbert is being the aggressor in the HC search which leads to my suspicion that there may be ambivalence about Scott. It seems to me that since they've already met with him 2-3 times, Gilbert would've went after him with a contract by now. Even if Scott was hedging about the possibility of Phil leaving, Gilbert would've upped the ante. The fact that he didn't move aggressively in offering a contract leads me to believe that Scott may be viewed as a solid fall-back option but they're not in love with him.

Shannon Brown is still horrible.. He takes questionable shots and even with the athleticism, he is not a very good defender..

The triangle should not be factor regarding whether Brian Shaw should get the job. It's not like it is the best offensive system in league and there is reason why only Phil Jackson teams have been successful with it.

Last edited:

Don't want Shaw. I want Byron.

Shannon Brown is still horrible.. He takes questionable shots and even with the athleticism, he is not a very good defender..

Shannon Brown was never horrible. The way he was underutilized, and the length of the leash that Mike Brown kept him on were. Any shot taken by someone not named Kobe could be deemed questionable. Shannon plays like a Man. Runs the fast break and finishes at the rim like a Man.

samickFanHouse: Cavs coaching search is nearing an end, sources say, with Brian Shaw scheduled to meet in Cleveland this afternoon and tomorrow morning.

samickFanHouse: No offers have been made to Shaw or Byron Scott, with a decision expected before Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."