• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Side X Sides and ATVs

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TheISHT

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
I have never really went trail riding or anything before and I wanted to get some people's perspective on what kind of ride they have and where they go.

I was gonna get a RZR because they are 50 inches and can go on trails in Ohio and PA, but the Can-AM Commander came out, and it's 59 inches.

My question is if I got the wider Commander are there trails you can go on in Ohio and PA?

Does anyone own a RzR? I'd think people that ride ATVs alot would know if it's worth it to get one of these things for this area. I think there alot more popular in areas with Dunes.

Any info is appreciated and opinions on what to get between the two is appreciated.

CanAm-Commander1000X-501.jpg

OR

2010PolarisRZR_WalkerEvans.jpg

Last edited:
I got fourwheeling all the time and I ride a Can-am Outlander 800. I usually go riding in southern ohio and West Virginia. They have been redoing a lot of the trails at Wayne National Forest (southern ohio) and making them wider because of the growing population of side by side riders. You can fit on most of the trails but there are little bridges everywhere that are may be 50 inches wide and most of the guys I talked to were saying how they barely fit on the bridges.

West Virginia for the most part has wide trails. They have 3 levels of difficulty and the lowest level are basically truck routes so there is enough room for a small truck. Even the other two levels of difficulty are probably wide enough for side by sides.

One place I wouldnt recommend any side by side is Michigan. The trails, I dont have any experience with dunes, are exactly 50 inches and that doesnt account for little tree stumps on the side. These stumps dont look like much until you unsuspectingly hit one and it jerks your quad off the side of the trail. I never would have guessed little tree stumps would cause such a problem but they are the most annoying things in the world.

I saw a lot of RZRs last time I went to Wayne about a month ago and as I said, they are making trails wider now for side by sides. Most of wayne was made wider and is very side by side friendly, except for bridges.

For my preference, I prefer my ATV over a side by side any day because I feel like I have more control and can get over more obstacles. There is one trail in Wayne National called Dorr Run and I would never recommend any side by side going on that trail. Those are the toughest trails down there and I have no idea how a side by side would get through it.

Also, I would recommend the Commander based on the fact that it is a Can Am product. Can Am builds the best of the best, they are the Mercedes of ATVs. The independent suspension is IMO the best in the business. Being 59 inches is a problem but I do think that in the close future all trails will be have trails wide enough for side by sides.

Thats just my 2 cents.

My stepdad has an Outlander 800 2-up, it's a beast. I like Can-AM over everything else, I'm just concerned over 50 inches vs 60 inches. If I buy somethink for 14K I wanna be able to ride it.

Last edited:
My stepdad has an Outlander 800 2-up, it's a beast. I'm like Can-AM over everything else, I'm just concerned over 50 inches vs 60 inches. If I buy somethink for 14K I wanna be able to ride it.

Yeah my dad also has the Outlander Max 800. Yeah I could definitely understand not buying the Commander. Its the price of a car and that 10 inches makes a huge difference. I think I would wait a little bit before making a decision. Maybe scope out some of the trails for yourself and try to gauge how trails are evolving for side by sides.

Its a bit of a gamble but when I first started riding about 7 years ago most trails were barely wide enough for out quads because we were 48 inches wide and now all the trails ive ridden are wide enough, except for Michigan of course.

I'd also ask some people who ride side by sides, maybe there is someone on this board, because I am pretty much a quad guy.

I was hoping there would be some people on this board that ride. I might wait until next year just in case Can-Am makes a sport version of the commander.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."