• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

200 Missing Nigerian Girls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cashius X

@CashiusX_
Reaction score
Gotta say I'm surprised no one has made a thread on this yet. It's Finals Week at my school so I haven't had too much time to catch up on this issue and do my own research but just from hearing the background information on the situation it's pretty appalling. Here's a CNN report on the issue.

Nigerian authorities specified Friday that a total of 276 schoolgirls were taken last month by militants from a boarding school, but 53 of them escaped, leaving 223 still in the hands of their captors, police said.

Those numbers are higher than previously reported. Authorities had been saying about 230 girls were abducted in the dead of night at a high school in the country's northeast region -- a hotbed for the Islamist group Boko Haram -- and roughly 200 of the girls were missing.

Authorities quickly added Friday that the new figure for missing girls -- 223 -- could grow as police fill in spotty school enrollment records.
At a minimum, Friday's announcement provided a clearer picture of how many girls are still missing.

"After thorough investigation by the police and other security agencies we have been able to compile a list of 276 girls initially abducted from the school," said Lawan Tanko, the Borno state police commissioner.

"Out of this number 53 were able to escape while 223 are still being held by the kidnappers," Tanko said. "This list may not be exhaustive because there could be other missing girls excluded because their parents may not have registered their names, which is why we have made announcement calling on parents whose girls were missing at the school to come forward and submit the name of their missing children."

On April 14, armed men herded the girls out of bed and forced them into trucks in the town of Chibok. The convoy of trucks then disappeared into the dense forest bordering Cameroon.

Angry Nigerians contend authorities are not doing enough. They took to social media using hashtags #BringBackOurGirls and #BringBackOurDaughters to demand more from the government.

But Nigeria's Defense Ministry said it's committed to the search. Boko Haram's name translates to "Western education is a sin" in the local language.
The group especially opposes the education of women. Under its version of Sharia law, women should be at home raising children and looking after their husbands, not at school learning to read and write.

Human rights groups say the militants kidnap girls to perform chores and sexual services.

I'll provide more information on it in the coming days as I get off school because I really am interested in what happened. The worst part is that story is actually kind of old. It just took a while for international media to pick it up and realize how severe of a situation it was. Some sad stuff.

If you're really interested in this story I'd suggest doing some research on Boko Haram, an Islamic militant group that has a hub in Nigeria. I did a report on them last semester and once you find out what the group does and their history the situation starts to make more sense.

#BringBackOurGirls

Last edited:
Just a fucked up situation overall, and another one showing the dark, twisted side of religion. The government over there clearly has not done enough to bring these girls back. They're "committed to the search" but haven't turned up anything since these girls went missing weeks ago. Now, the leader of the group is saying that he's going to be selling these girls off because it is his so-called duty from Allah to do so, and nobody is any closer to finding these poor, innocent children.

Here's hoping someone competent steps in, finds these girls, and puts a hot 7.62 right between Abubakar Shekau's eyes.

First thing that came to my mind was that DaveK was somehow involved.

LINK: http://rt.com/news/221347-nigeria-insurgency-islamic-attack/

Boko Haram, the extremist Islamic group that wants to enforce Sharia Law across Nigeria, has inflicted mass casualties in northeast Nigeria. Some reports put the number of fatalities as high as 2,000.

Amnesty International, communicating with experts on the ground in Nigeria, has said the assault on the town of Baga could be the deadliest attack by Boko Haram since the extremist group surfaced in 2009.

“The attack on Baga and surrounding towns looks as if it could be Boko Haram’s deadliest act in a catalogue of increasingly heinous attacks carried out by the group,” said Daniel Eyre, Nigeria researcher for Amnesty International.

Amnesty International has quoted some sources that say the town has been razed, with as many as 2,000 people killed. If true, that would mark a “disturbing and bloody escalation of Boko Haram’s ongoing onslaught against the civilian population,” Eyre added.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is way crazier and I am also surprised that I did not hear about this via the news channels (although I only have local channels)

Well see... it's really the French and racist cartoons that's to blame.

@gourimoko

@gourimoko

Well nah, it's all Muslims, Islam, Africa, Bin Laden, Hakeem Olajuwon and Malala Yousafzai that's to blame. Let's vaporize them all and finally bring on world peace.

@everyone

@gourimoko

JSS, when did I blame the French or racist cartoons for the Charlie Hebdo killings?

All I said was that I'm not surprised.

JSS, when did I blame the French or racist cartoons for the Charlie Hebdo killings?

All I said was that I'm not surprised.

That's not all you said. Your entire argument in a thread relating to an Islamic extremists terror attack is about how the French brought this onto themselves unsurprisingly by angering a group of people with cartoons. You're fighting against the cartoons more than for the actual people who died. It's very interesting.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this. You seem to think this only happens in Arab countries and that Arabs are under attack.

How come you won't admit Islamic extremism is a much larger problem and effects much larger portions of the world? Do you blame the white man for these problems too? It's for the better if we just sit back and leave these people alone so that they are enslaved, slaughtered, and punished without impunity for doing nothing wrong, no?

For someone who considers themselves a liberal, you're nothing of the sort.

That's not all you said. Your entire argument in a thread relating to an Islamic extremists terror attack is about how the French brought this onto themselves

Whoah... wait a second.

Is my argument that "The French" brought this onto themselves, or that Charlie Hebdo knew what they were doing and that I'm not surprised by these attacks.

As I recall, "my entire argument" was that I AM NOT CHARLIE; and France is a multicultural melting pot just like the United States (more so the USA in early 1970s).

I seem to recall making the express argument that folks, like YOU, throwing around the term "French" were excluding MILLIONS of native born French people.

So yeah, that's not my entire argument.

unsurprisingly by angering a group of people with cartoons. You're fighting against the cartoons more than for the actual people who died. It's very interesting.

Again, my first few posts in the thread basically say "this was a terrible attack, and cannot be justified." It's obligatory.

These terrorist attacks are terrible -- but -- let's not forget who and what Charlie Hebdo is and what they represent. I am not Charlie. Fuck Charlie.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this. You seem to think this only happens in Arab countries and that Arabs are under attack.

I don't know what you're talking about "I seem to think."

I've made the argument that most Muslims aren't Arabs, but the constant portrayal of Arab Muslims as barbarians is a racist stereotype.

Reading your post, I don't think you actually understand my positional at all. And I mean that honestly... You're a smart guy JSS, I don't know why my point eludes you.

How come you won't admit Islamic extremism is a much larger problem and effects much larger portions of the world?

Larger than what?

I'll answer a question that makes sense. But larger than what exactly?

Do you blame the white man for these problems too?

Is this racist goading now?

When have I ever "blamed the White man?"

To do what you're accusing me of would in itself be racist.

I've made the point that I do not lump all White people together.... I've made this point numerous times in multiple threads.

So wtf are you talking about? Or to you, Charlie Hebdo represents your idea of "the White man?" Because if so, I think that'd speak more about you than it would me.

For the record, whenever anyone has asked me what the most insidious problems are to Americans my list has never changed

1) The Military Industrial Complex
2) The loss of personal liberties since 2001
3) Lack of healthcare
4) Lack of education
5) Campaign finance reform
6) The militarization of local police departments

No, nowhere on there is radical Islam. Is it on my list somewhere? Yes, assuredly. But it's not more important, as I see the world, than any of the above issues.

Solve problems #1 and #5 and the world would be a very different place. And understand, I have absolutely no problem explaining to you IN DETAIL what I mean by this. I just don't think you understand the nature of the problem.

It's for the better if we just sit back and leave these people alone so that they are enslaved, slaughtered, and punished without impunity for doing nothing wrong, no?

Absolutely YES. Leave them the fuck alone!

I am an Arab. I can tell you with 100% confidence, we are better off removing ourselves from the equation in the Middle East completely. America, as we are, has no place there and cannot. Our values are not compatible, our societies are not compatible.

We say we want them to be democratic, but then if they are democratic they'll want Sharia in many countries by popular vote. Then they'll want to raise an army and build nuclear power plants, and then they'll want to isolate and oppose the interests of the regional foe, Israel.

But, we want democracy for them right?

Simply put, as it stands, a workable alliance with a truly democratic Arab state is next to impossible at this point as it would contradict our present alliances.

For someone who considers themselves a liberal, you're nothing of the sort.

How has anything you've said spoken to my liberal nature?

Nothing I've said is any different than you would find on liberal news outlets. Hell, you could just listen to The Young Turks. Can you find a single thing that I've said here that they would contradict?

Last edited:
Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly_zps0aefadca.jpg

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."