1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

2012 Cavs Summer League

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by wuck, Mar 22, 2012.

1. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

From the PD.

So refreshing to hear this kind of thing from the team's youngest and best player. :thumbup:

---
    Summer camp:

Some high draft picks do not want to attend the NBA's summer league after they have established themselves. Irving is not in that category

"Even if Coach Scott didn't want me to go, I was going to be there anyway," Irving said.

Scott believes it would be good for rookies Irving and Tristan Thompson to play together, even if it's only for a few games. Irving went a step further: With as many as four draft picks joining the team in July, the newbies will have a chance to play with the starting point guard.

Due to the lockout, neither Irving nor Thompson took part in last year's summer league in Las Vegas. Irving said he knows it can be an anxious time for young guys trying to make a favorable impression.

"I'm going there to cool everybody down," Irving said. "[I'll] be the cool guy down there."

He grew up watching the summer league, Irving said, and one of his favorite memories is the camera panning the crowd and catching a napping Scott, a clip that can be found on YouTube.

• Like Like x 30
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. IWantAKouki

IWantAKouki Kouki, Not Cookie.

[video=youtube;OAkl1LTHTa0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkl1LTHTa0[/video]

• Like Like x 9
  3. Believeland-OH

Believeland-OH In the Rotation

The Cavaliers at the moment have quite the potential Summer League roster:

Kyrie Irving
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    Donald Sloan
    Manny Harris
    Samardo Samuels
    Luke Harangody
    Semih Erden
    Ben Uzoh*
    Mychel Thompson*

This team is ridiculously young at the moment.

4. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

Our team is fairly young, but no team in the NBA plays its vets more than we do:

[​IMG]

I doubt that Harongody, Erden, Uzoh, or Mychel Thompson make the roster at the start of the season. We'll have at least two if not more rookies coming in on top of some possible free agent signings that are purposely going to replace these guys. I'm hoping that we can actually make that chart form a downward slope next season for the Cavs where we play younger than our team actually is. I wouldn't mind all rookies and sophomores/third-years starting. I'm sick of guys who only have a few years left in them (some really have nothing left and are pretty much dead weight like Parker) who still get big minutes. It'd be nice for there to be only a 5-year difference (if that) in age between the starters instead of a 10-year or 15-year. That's when you get to the point where you have to constantly find new starters for your team and get stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity. It was frustrating watching LeBron surrounded by "veteran presence" that rotted away because there was never enough talent on the team. On top of that, none of our young guys get any play time.

5. KI4MVP

KI4MVP formerly LJ4MVP

That chart was last updated 1/8, we had only played 7 games up to that point. I'm sure the average has come down quite a bit since then. Kyrie plays more, Andy's has missed 19 games, parker has missed 13 games, Tristan is playing more. We only have 3 players on the roster older than 25, one is out hurt, the other two have expiring contracts in a season we have 4 draft picks.

6. NtG

NtG El CampeĆ³n

best summer league team ever?

• Like Like x 1
  7. trapalizer

trapalizer Banned

greatest summer league team ever.

8. trapalizer

trapalizer Banned

ugh ugh ugh beat me to it lol

9. SOA

SOA Banned

don't know if I would say that I remember the Lebron/Boozer summer league team absolutely rolled people

also I don't see Uzoh and Mychal Thompson as a lock in them playing on our summer league team next year

but a team with
    Kyrie Irving
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    Donald Sloan
    Manny Harris
    Samardo Samuels
    and 4 draftees will be fun to watch

10. JAY1977

JAY1977 inspired to play ball

After the last draft I get the impression that Grant wants nothing to do with second rounders and if he can not move the 2nd round pick/s just randomly pick a player that will never be with the organization regardless. 2 rookies is hard enough to include into a teams roster let alone 4. I have no quams with this but I will not watch the 2nd round of the draft for nothing again like last year.:chuckles:

11. trapalizer

trapalizer Banned

What? How can you even think that, that trade they did with Orlando was really smart, who would have thought that Dwight would reup, I sure as hell thought Orlando would become a bottom feeder and that 32nd pick would have became 2 mid 30s picks in much better drafts.

12. Lionheart

Lionheart Sixth Man

Hopefully, if roster spots permit, Milan Macvan comes over and plays.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cavatt

Cavatt NBA Starter

Wow that can really help the young guys coming in. Glad Kyrie realizes the affect he can have on his teammates

14. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

It's pretty hard to stay awake for the games in Vegas after an 8am bender--

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  15. Jon

Jon ~

I got the impression the players we had targeted in the second round were off the board. We may use them to trade up or trade in to the future, but 2nd round picks do not have to be guaranteed - so if there's a player we want to take a look at I think we'll use the pick. I agree we may get to the point we have more picks than we have roster spots we want to fill with them.

In other words, I suspect I'll still be watching the 2nd round this year. Of course I DVR it ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. AMC

AMC Mmhmm.

Spur of the moment idea about the summer league, but I was thinking they should make some sort of summer league playoff. Have single game playoff games between the best 8-10 teams and crown a champion team.

Would make it way more competitive.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

Don't they do something like that that already with the two best teams?

18. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

I will take it a step further. Have the higher seed host the final 4 games, and the title game. Could you imagine in the Q in July when Irving is named MVP of the summer league. Place would be crazy!!!!!!!! Sell tickets, and include the Cav Girls and Scream team like a regular home game!

19. TrueCavsFan2

TrueCavsFan2 Draft Day... A. WIGGINS!

Guys, I love these ideas, but it is the Summer League.

20. sailfish

sailfish Sixth Man

I don't think Scott is sleeping there. At 0:11 you see him move his head. Then, while it looks like his eyes are closed, I think he's actually glancing down at a piece of paper. Later in the clip he clearly has his eyes open.
    I imagine he gets ribbed pretty good for this, whether he was sleeping or not.