• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2013-2014 MAC Basketball Preview

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'd love to see team previews from fans of schools around the MAC so I'll start:

940x.jpg

2012-2013 Results - 26-7 overall, 14-2 in the MAC; Lost to VCU in NCAA Tournament

Notable Departures: Zeke Marshall, Alex Abreu, Brian Walsh, Chauncey Gilliam

Notable Additions: Quincy Diggs, Nyles Evans, B.J. Gladden, Aaron Jackson, Kwan Cheatham, Isaiah Johnson

Projected Starting Lineup:

C-Pat Forsythe
PF-Demetrius Treadwell
SF-Nick Harney
SG-Quincy Diggs
PG-Nyles Evans

Projected Key Reserves:

C-Isaiah Johnson
F-Jake Kretzer
G/F-Reggie McAdams
G-B.J. Gladden
PG-Carmelo Betancourt

2013-2014 Schedule:

Key OOC Matchups: St. Mary's, Middle Tennessee State, Oregon State, Iowa State, South Carolina

Notes:

While the Zips will certainly miss Zeke Marshall, they continue to reload instead of rebuild and will be a favorite to play in Cleveland on Saturday night once again in 2014. Demetrius Treadwell, the 2013 MAC Tournament MVP, leads the way as a legitimate MAC Player of the Year candidate. "Tree" recorded a double-double in every MAC Tournament game and was one of the few Zips who played well in the NCAA Tournament. Treadwell is an absolute monster down low with a high-motor and an intensity that ignites his teammates. He is set to have a breakout season.

Quincy Diggs will return to the Zips after serving a one year university suspension for off-court issues. "Q" was 2011-2012 MAC 6th Man of the Year and, according to insiders, is coming back with a new-found focus and maturity. Diggs has the ability to take over any game against any opponent, but has also been known to disappear in some games. The Zips will need his senior leadership this year to be successful.

Pat Forsythe has the biggest shoes to fill, replacing Zeke Marshall as starting center, but the sophomore is fully capable of being a high-impact player. If he can simply provide interior defense and rebounding, it should be enough.

The two biggest question marks are Nyles Evans and and Nick Harney. Evans, originally from Canton and once recruited by the Zips, transfers from Brevard Community College in Florida. The 5'11" point guard has actually played against several current and former Zips in summer leagues, including matching up against Alex Abreu. With Abreu gone and Betancourt looking more like a change-of-pace backup, the Zips will need Evans to produce.

Harney is an enigma. Some games, he's one of the Zips top performers. Other games, he makes little-to-no impact. The talent is there - aside from Treadwell, he may be the most physically gifted Zip on the roster. Unlike Tree, Harney still struggles with focus and playing to his capabilities. If he takes the next step this year, he could become an All-MAC performer.

My Predicted MAC Finish: Regular Season and MAC Tournament Champion

As the season approaches, I'd love to see a preview of some other schools. I know we have some Kent State, OU, Toledo, and BG folks on here.

Found this OU-related quote to be of interest:

“Last year, we had those seniors so it was tough to get them to buy in to what [coach] was doing,” Taylor said. “But with our younger guys, and now that we’re older and it’s his second season, it can only help us out if we pay attention to what he’s talking about.”

One of the major question marks with OU's team last year seemed to be how they'd adjust moving from Groce to Christian. Taylor seems to suggest the transition wasn't a smooth one.

solid preview, sgm. I don't really have anything to add and am looking forward to hear about other teams as well.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."