• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2014-15 Off-Season Thread (Moss Acquired - Page 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AZ_

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Francona and Chris Antonetti on now for their season wrap up press conference.

Sandy is welcome to go get that well deserved Managerial role, but I want Calloway protected by at least 4 snipers at all times to prevent anyone of even thinking of interviewing him for a managers job. He needs to be our Dave Duncan.

Those quotes would indicate a few things.

1. They recognize how much money it would take to sign a true power bat clean up hitter on the FA market. or the steep price of trading for one. They would like to add one but are trying to temper expectations that it will get done.
2. They recognize how much good cheap pitching they have locked in.
3. As they scramble certain players positions next year, hopefully a huge emphasis will be placed on range and defensive acumen to complement 5 strikeout starters and make sure that balls that do get hit are caught and fielded correctly.

If Callaway is truly the wizard he seems to be so far, then we need to keep him here for a 10 year stretch or longer. Look at 1986-1995 Oakland and 1996-2011 St Louis. Dave Duncan was the constant their and almost every year, regardless of payroll fluctuations and transitions with generations of on field players, they always had pitching staffs that kept them in the pennant race almost every season.

Sandy is welcome to go get that well deserved Managerial role, but I want Calloway protected by at least 4 snipers at all times to prevent anyone of even thinking of interviewing him for a managers job. He needs to be our Dave Duncan.

how many managers in baseball are former pitching coaches? Bud Black and Farrell? Does Callaway even want to manage? Just isn't a jump that happens often I don't think. Prove me wrong. I think it is more an issue of compensation and ultimately what Callaway wants to do, stay as a right-hand man pitching coach or venture out on his own.

how many managers in baseball are former pitching coaches? Bud Black and Farrell? Does Callaway even want to manage? Just isn't a jump that happens often I don't think. Prove me wrong. I think it is more an issue of compensation and ultimately what Callaway wants to do, stay as a right-hand man pitching coach or venture out on his own.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for and counting on in terms of Callaway being here long term. My post was mostly tongue in cheek in nature.

1) Too much of a wet blanket on day one of the offseason. Hopefully it's just tempering expectations. I don't think anyone is expected the '95 Indians lineup, but adding an impact bat or two shouldn't be out of the question. Beltre and Victor should be the first targets, with guys like Chase Headley, Aramis Ramirez, Evan Gattis, Allen Craig, Michael Cuddyer, Melky Cabrera, and Nick Markakis as backup plans.

2) I think Sandy will get a manager job this offseason. I also think Giambi slides into Sandy's spot with the Indians.

3) I'm still calling Josh Beckett to Cleveland.

I get the Beckett thing because of Tito.

Dude hates Cleveland though, like a lot.

But if he goes to Cleveland he can stuff his fat face with Hot Sauce Williams and pound Dortmunder's all game long.

Victor maybe?

What I'd give to shed Swisher. I'd love to bring in a guy that can play 1b, dh, and 3rd in a pinch.

I think Aviles comes back, but I'd prefer to see Lindor. It'll be an interesting offseason.

Dies anyone know if we will be getting sizable dollars from the tv deal?

Based on?
I dont know too much about his personal thoughts about the city itself. but from 2007-2011 there were plenty of jawing and scuffles between the Sox and Indians, usually with Beckett involved.

Based on?

Personal experience.

Victor maybe?

What I'd give to shed Swisher. I'd love to bring in a guy that can play 1b, dh, and 3rd in a pinch.

I think Aviles comes back, but I'd prefer to see Lindor. It'll be an interesting offseason.

Dies anyone know if we will be getting sizable dollars from the tv deal?

Victor is going to be out of reach, probably 3/50 or so. Would be surprised if they bring Aviles back, though they may try and do it on a reduced salary.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."