• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2014 Free Agency Period: News and Discussion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soar

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Alright, Lebron, Gortat, Ariza, Frye, etc are filling up every thread on the board.

It is time to have one place to discuss these guys from a Cavs perspective.

What are our biggest needs and why? How do we solve them?

Post the rumors, post the thoughts, post the news. It will be a crazy time. Let's go:

But first a depth chart as of now:

PG: Irving/Jack/Dellavedova

SG: Waiters/Hopson/Karasev/Harris

SF: Wiggins/Felix

PF: Thompson/Bennett/Powell

C: Varejao/Zeller/Haywood

FA: Miles, Deng, Hawes

<iframe width="350" height="240" src="//w2.countingdownto.com/583130" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://countingdownto.com">countingdownto.com</a></p>

Seems like a good place to put this:

The Grizz pick was hopefully going to be one of our better assets to navigate FA.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Randolph re-signing w/Grizz bad news for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cavs?src=hash">#Cavs</a> who have future 1st coming if MEM misses playoffs. Cavs were hoping Grizz would be rebuilding</p>&mdash; Jason Lloyd (@JasonLloydABJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLloydABJ/statuses/482617816622059520">June 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How about free agents other than LeBron? Well, I guess every thread is about him anyway, so I guess another one isn't going to hurt anyone.

How about free agents other than LeBron? Well, I guess every thread is about him anyway, so I guess another one isn't going to hurt anyone.

Moving past the unlikely Love/Lebron paradigm, who are some FA's/trades you'd like us to pursue?

I think Gortat fits in unbelievably well with this roster. I also am very convinced Waiters will likely be moved this off-season.

For me everything is totally on hold until those Heat scrubs decide what they're doing. Can't even talk about or think about anyone other than LBJ/KL until we eliminate them from the process or sign them. If we can't get them I'd just stick with what we have on the roster and roll like that. Maybe trade Jack, but I dont know what for other than cap space.

I feel like Gordon Hayward could be a big target for us. He is a RFA, so it is more complicated, but he seems to be the versatile well rounded player Griffin and Blatt are going for.

Chandler Parsons too but I won't hold my breath.

Moving past the unlikely Love/Lebron paradigm, who are some FA's/trades you'd like us to pursue?

Without LeBron I would still kick the tires on Love, just not for what they think they are going to get for him since it would almost certainly be a rental. Thompson, Filler, and a couple future #1s would be all I would want to go.

Short of that, I wouldn't mind a guy like Channing Frye to split time with Bennett at the 4. Otherwise we need a center but good luck finding one outside of the draft. Winning the lottery took the desire to make huge moves away from me. If we are developing another #1 pick, we might as well develop the other young players we already have.

I wonder a few things about Gortat:

-should we want him
-does Blatt's rep in Europe have any influence on Gortat
-now that Martell Webster is out for 5 months, do the Wizards go even higher to keep Ariza and does that open the door for us and other teams on Gortat.

The biggest problem in free agent when pursuing players that have multiple options and want to win, is that players rarely look as hard as what could be as what was. So regardless of our new direction, unless we make a bold first step via trade(like Love) most players just see us as a 33 win team.

For me everything is totally on hold until those Heat scrubs decide what they're doing. Can't even talk about or think about anyone other than LBJ/KL until we eliminate them from the process or sign them. If we can't get them I'd just stick with what we have on the roster and roll like that. Maybe trade Jack, but I dont know what for other than cap space.

I would think both Parsons and Hayward, but especially Hayward, only become targets if we do move Dion. Otherwise, where is the fit?

I would love to get Gortat, I wanted to go get him when he was still in Orlando. But he is going to be expensive, and I doubt he would consider us anyway.

I would love to get Gortat, I wanted to go get him when he was still in Orlando. But he is going to be expensive, and I doubt he would consider us anyway.

Same. I see him either staying in Washington or going to a true contender. Think him here is a pipe dream unfortunately.

Outside of Bron, who I seriously doubt leaves Miami, here a few lower profile guys that might fit in and can actually play:

Jordan Hill could be interesting if either/or Andy and Tristan are dealt. Patrick Patterson could also fill that vet bridge PF role until Bennett is ready to start fulltime.
Pau might be an option now that Memphis has committed to ZBo.
A vet PG like Hinrich if Jack is dumped. Depends on how comfortable they are with Delly in that role.
Really liked what I saw from Xavier Henry last year. Could be a nice, cheap SF option.
Parsons would be great but he's probably going to get overpaid and I bet Houston ends up matching any offer.
Frye would be a nice fit at the right price.

I'm guessing they would have at least some interest in keeping their own FA's Miles and Hawes depending on the cost.

Things could change but at this point assuming they will be more active on the trade market than in FA.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."