• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 Minor League Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AZ_

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Kicking this thread off with the Indians Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America:

2015 Cleveland Indians Top 10 Prospects

TOP 10 PROSPECTS
1. Francisco Lindor, ss
2. Bradley Zimmer, of
3. Clint Frazier, of
4. Justus Sheffield, lhp
5. Mike Papi, of/1b
6. Tyler Naquin, of
7. Francisco Mejia, c
8. Erik Gonzalez, ss
9. Bobby Bradley, 1b
10. Cody Anderson, rhp
Though the Indians missed out on an encore playoff appearance, they showed in 2014 that they shouldn’t be fading from the conversation either.

A poor April ultimately doomed Cleveland’s postseason aspirations, but they did play well enough the rest of the way to finish 85-77, marking the first time the franchise has had back-to-back winning seasons since its 1995-2001 heyday. Righthander Corey Kluberand outfielder Michael Brantley enjoyed breakout years, the former going 18-9, 2.44 with 269 strikeouts to emerge as the staff ace while Brantley hit .327 with 20 homers and 23 steals.

Brantley and Kluber were both trade acquisitions, as were several of the Indians’ other significant contributors, like catcher Yan Gomes and first baseman Carlos Santana. Still, the farm system had its fingerprints on the team’s success as well.Third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall, Cleveland’s first-round pick in 2008, enjoyed his best offensive season, hitting .280 with 13 homers.

Rookie Jose Ramirez took over the everyday shortstop role down the stretch after the Indians traded Asdrubal Cabrera to the Nationals.

Homegrown arms Cody Allen and Kyle Crockett, the first 2013 draftee to reach the majors, played key roles in the bullpen, while lefty T.J. House, a big-money high school signee back in 2008, finally broke through to the big leagues and gave the rotation a boost by going 5-3, 3.35 in 102 innings.

Whether Kluber and Brantley’s big 2014 seasons end up being anomalies is a question that will have to be answered, but the Indians do appear set to remain competitive.Most of the team’s core is on the right side of 30—Nick Swisher, at age 33, was Cleveland’s oldest regular in 2014—led by Brantley (27), Chisenhall (26), Gomes (27), Santana (28) and second baseman Jason Kipnis (27), who had a disappointing season but is still just a year removed from being an all-star in 2013.

Top prospect Francisco Lindor, a shortstop, should make the leap to the majors at some point in 2015, and the Indians have a strong crop of position players in the pipeline they can continue to build around. Along with Lindor, they have other quality hitters in the upper minors like shortstopErik Gonzalez and outfielders Tyler Naquin and James Ramsey, the latter a trade acquisition from the Cardinals for Justin Masterson.

Taking advantage of owning three of the first 40 picks in the 2014 draft, the Indians added a pair of impact college bats, San Francisco’sBradley Zimmer (21st overall) and Virginia’sMike Papi (38th), both of whom could move through the system quickly.Though the Indians turned to the college ranks for Zimmer with their top 2014 pick, they have largely gotten away from their tendency to lean on collegians at the top of the draft, starting with when they took Lindor in the first round out of high school in 2011. Looking at their track record, it’s easy to see why.

The Indians took college or junior-college players with their top pick every year from 2002-10, and only one of those players, Chisenhall, has made any meaningful impact in Cleveland, though at least righthander Jeremy Guthrie (2002) has found success elsewhere.

The Indians signed more high school players (nine) than any American League team in 2014, highlighted by No. 31 overall pick Justus Sheffield. The 18-year-old lefthander’s development will be particularly important, for the Indians system isn’t with bursting impact arms.

First thing that jumps out at me is the absence of Mitch Brown, I'd think he was an obvious choice for the top ten.

Urshela not included - is that a surprise?

Remember when Paulino and Rodriguez were up and comers with Lindor?

Urshela not included - is that a surprise?

Remember when Paulino and Rodriguez were up and comers with Lindor?

Not to me, I'm not convinced Urshela is more than an outlier year. Though in fairness, I saw him live just once last year.

If he comes out and continues doing it this year, I'll be on board.

Not to me, I'm not convinced Urshela is more than an outlier year. Though in fairness, I saw him live just once last year.

If he comes out and continues doing it this year, I'll be on board.

Boobie - care to give your top 10?

Hey boobie, I'm not that knowledgeable about baseball but what are reasonable expectations to have about Lindor's career and in the next year? Everything I've read seems to say that he'll be a perennial gold glove candidate, but will his bat ever come around to prime Jeter levels?

Hey boobie, I'm not that knowledgeable about baseball but what are reasonable expectations to have about Lindor's career and in the next year? Everything I've read seems to say that he'll be a perennial gold glove candidate, but will his bat ever come around to prime Jeter levels?

I've got on record here before saying that he's a perennial All-Star type player.

Jimmy Rollins is a good comp, he's got a bit less speed and little better hit tool as a prospect. But in terms of an impact player, he profiles well with J-Roll because of the intangibles he has and the effect he has on his teammates as a spark through any facet of the game.

He just does everything well, and his ceiling is as high as it gets.

B2GXP3-IQAA_l-7.png

Is it time to let go of the thought of LeVon Washington?

Zimmer is #2?

I'm not really super informed with our farm system, but I didn't know that Bradley was THAT highly regarded.

Zimmer is #2?

I'm not really super informed with our farm system, but I didn't know that Bradley was THAT highly regarded.

He's ahead of Frazier on my list, too. His strikeouts are too concerning, like Zimmer's patience better and a 10% walk rate in his first action this year.

He'll move quicker, and though he doesn't have Frazier's ceiling he's a more than adequate prospect in what's becoming a pretty deep system.

b00bie's Top 15:

1 - Francisco Lindor - SS - AAA

Not much needs to be said here, a top five prospect in baseball. All-around player who will develop more power than people give him credit for.

2 - Bradley Zimmer - OF - Low A

A little bit of Hunter Pence in his game, tall and awkward looking dude but can absolutely hit. Showed patience early in his career (10%), and as he grows into his lanky frame he's got the potential for 65-70 power in him. I think he's a guy who jumps out early in 2015 and they start to accelerate his clock a bit.

3 - Francisco Mejia - C - Low A

Probably a bit of a surprise to some, but guys like Mejia just don't grow on trees. Switch-hitting catcher with plus plus defensive tools and a MLB caliber hit tool. Better from the left side thus far in his career, put up a respectable .747 OPS with Mahoning Valley this season. His defensive prowess gives him a clear path to the big leagues, he's really got everything you look for back there. Good receiver, quick release, good arm.

4 - Clint Frazier - OF - Low A

If he gets his contact rate under control, the sky is the limit for Frazier. He struck out 161 times in 542 plate appearances, very scary numbers even given the level he's at. Aside from that, there isn't much not to like about his game. Runs well, defends well, OK arm, great baseball IQ.

5 - Bobby Bradley - 1B - Rk

Burst onto the scene in the Arizona League, leading the circuit in just about every major category as a kid just out of high school. There wasn't much lull in his numbers, he just flat out dominated that league and despite his youth I'm comfortable bumping him up the list. Legit left-handed power threat at a corner position, something this organization has sorely lacked for years in their system.

6 - Erik Gonzalez - SS (now, future 2B/3B/OF) - AA

The Indians put him on the 40-man at the end of last season, a bit of a surprising move but indicative of how they view him. He didn't disappoint, hitting .309 with 34 extra-base hits and 21 SBs between two levels. Doesn't really have a position, and is blocked at SS in the big leagues and minor leagues.

7 - Mike Papi - 1B/OF - A

Didn't get off to a great start after a good season leading Virginia to the NCAA Tourney. Hit under .200 but still managed an OBP over .300 because he's got really good plate discipline and knows how to work the count. Doesn't benefit from wider minor league strike zones. Smooth stroke with power potential, another corner position player who most likely ends up at 1B or LF.

8 - Justus Sheffield - LHP - Rk

Pretty good stuff for his age, showing a good changeup and topping out around 94-95 with his fastball. His stature scares the hell out of me, just 5'10 and under 190 pounds. Not sure he'll have the body for big innings but until that actually happens he's the Indians best pitching prospect.

9 - Adam Plutko - RHP - A

Trevor Bauer's teammate at UCLA, Plutko doesn't have the same stuff but can really pitch. Profiles as a back end starter who gets by with a 90-92 fastball and decent secondary stuff matched with an off the charts pitching acumen. I think he makes a nice jump in 2015, and I'm higher on him than most.

10 - Mitch Brown - RHP - A

Quietly had a breakout season at Lake County, posting 127 strikeouts in 138 innings. Walk rate took a dive, but still needs improvement (3.6 BB/9). Good sink on his fastball, runs it up around 94.

11 - Luis Lugo - LHP - A

Posted a fantastic 10.4 K/9 at Lake County, but had the tendency to get hit around a bit. Has a big frame and I think he can add a few MPH as they work out some...eh...sketchy mechanics. Long stride toward home affects the velo, but using the 4 and 2 allows him to keep hitters off balance before dropping them with a potentially plus curve and changeup.

12 - James Ramsey - OF - AAA

Draws some Jason Kipnis comparisons for me because of his leadership and gritty style of play. Not the fastest or most powerful, but has a pretty good feel for hitting.

13 - Tyler Naquin - OF - AA

This guy has just never impressed me as a prospect. The organization likens him to a David Dejesus type, and I think that's somewhat accurate. He has no real power, good but not great speed and plus defense. If he can return healthy this season and grow into his frame a bit maybe he adds more power and becomes a more promising prospect. But for me he's got a ceiling of a fourth outfielder, better suited for an NL club.

14 - Cody Anderson - RHP - AA

Had the potential to really break out in 2014 but struggled mightily. He may not be fully healthy, but when he is he can command his sinking fastball well and gets a ton of ground ball outs.

15 - Joe Wendle - 2B - AA

Injury shortened season for Wendle, who got off to a pretty terrible start anyway. I think he ends up becoming a pretty good utility player who will play 2B/3B and the outfield. Skip Schumaker is a good comp for me.

Next five:

Giovanny Urshela - 3B - AAA
Yu Cheng Chang - SS - Rk
Jeremy Lucas - C - High A
Jesus Aguilar - 1B/DH - AAA
Casey Shane - RHP - Rk

This guy is going to make next year's top prospect list if he's healthy.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."