• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2016 Browns Mock Draft Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MoFlo

Hall-of-Famer
RCF Honored Elder
Reaction score
Matt Miller Bleacher Report:

5.) The Pick: QB Jared Goff, California
No more messing around, Cleveland. It's time to draft a franchise quarterback.

Jared Goff isn't perfect. He's not the Andrew Luck- or Peyton Manning-level prospect some want him to be. But he has rare poise and footwork in the pocket and very good accuracy all over the field. His arm strength won't wow you and he won't rush for big gains, but the Browns have too often passed over the smart quarterback for the exciting one (Johnny Manziel over Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr?).

It's time to make the smart move, draft a rock-solid quarterback they can truly build around and start thinking long-term for a change.

36.) WR Tyler Boyd, Pitt

68.) DL Charles Tapper, Oklahoma

Rob Rang CBS Sports:

3.) Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis: The Browns' annual top 10 selection is likely to continue until a franchise quarterback is found. Lynch is flying up draft boards as scouts are enamored with his combination of size (listed at 6-feet-7, 230 pounds), mobility and arm talent. He has made steady progress throughout his career and may be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Dane Brugler CBS Sports:

3.) Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis: The Browns are desperate to find the right answer at quarterback and will be doing their homework on all the passers in the 2016 class. Lynch has the size, athleticism and arm talent that translates well to the pro game and he continues to get better with added experience.

Walter Football:

7.) Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

The Browns weren't in position to draft a quarterback in my previous mock, but they definitely are now - and it definitely helps that there currently appear to be three top-10 signal-caller prospects again in the wake of Paxton Lynch's amazing season.

We haven't spoken to our NFL sources about Lynch yet, but unless he struggles to close out the year, I have to believe that he'll grade out as a top-10 prospect. Even if he doesn't, teams get desperate and reach for quarterbacks. The Browns obviously need one, as Johnny Manziel is an idiot who has no future (or present) in the NFL.

37.) William Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

The Browns have to use an early-round pick on a receiver eventually, right? They can't keep going with retreads.

68.) Joshua Perry, DE/OLB, Ohio State

It wouldn't hurt if the Browns added another pass-rusher, given that their edge players all are having issues getting to the quarterback this season.

These are the most recent updated mocks. I'll update with a new post as the mock drafts update.

49793684.jpg

Who still argues that 2nd win of the season was more valuable to building a team than flat-out tanking to actually secure the #1 pick in the draft?

Goff or Lynch... we can only hope.

One of the worst things about this season for me is that watching this team, I never find myself thinking that we're going to be good soon. For the most part (with a few exceptions) we're either older and declining or young and crappy. We're just treading water.

Both of those guys are so talented that either would instantly change that for me. Need to keep the tank going strong.

What's funny/depressing is that for all his warts, McCown's play this season has been better than any other QB since the return by a pretty wide margin.

My biggest fear is that the front office/ownership passes on Goff/Lynch/whoever because they refuse to let the Manziel dream die.

What's funny/depressing is that for all his warts, McCown's play this season has been better than any other QB since the return by a pretty wide margin.

My biggest fear is that the front office/ownership passes on Goff/Lynch/whoever because they refuse to let the Manziel dream die.

Worse yet, they'll fire Pettine and bring in a coach who thinks he can win/fix with Manziel.

SI.com - Burke: (somehow we are drafting 14th)

Shawk Oakman, DT - Baylor

"The Browns still cannot stop the run with any degree of consistency. If those problems still lingered with the 335-pound Danny Shelton and Oakman's imposing 280 pounds paired together along the line, there might not be any answers. Oakman seems destined for a 3–4 five-tech spot."

He had us passing on Cook and Lynch wasn't even in the 1st round? :chuckle:o_O

Maybe we shouldn't get this guys drafts anymore.

"The Browns still cannot stop the run with any degree of consistency. If those problems still lingered with the 335-pound Danny Shelton and Oakman's imposing 280 pounds paired together along the line, there might not be any answers. Oakman seems destined for a 3–4 five-tech spot."

Did you check the last update? That could've been a month ago

If we are looking to get little to no value out of our 1st round pick, Oakman would be an outstanding choice.

Mock 2.0 - The Blow It Up Edition:

Staff:
GM - Nick Caserio
Head Coach - Josh McDaniels
Offensive Coordinator - Bill O'Brien
Defensive Coordinator - Dean Pees (if he's let go by Baltimore)

Departures:
Tashaun Gipson - Not resigned, likely wants to move on
Craig Robertson -- Greener pastures ahead for him as well
Tramon Williams - Cut
Rob Housler
Robert Turbin
Dwayne Bowe - Cut
Alex Mack - Opt Out
Jim Dray
Taylor Gabriel - Cut
Randy Starks - Cut

Trade:
Joe Thomas - 1st and 4th round pick
Johnny Manziel - 5th round pick
Karlos Dansby - 6th round pick
Paul Kruger - 6th round pick

Re-Signed:
Mitchell Schwartz
Gary Barnidge

Free Agents:
Kelvin Beachum - 4 yr/$50M - Lost this season to an ACL, the Browns swoop in and take the Steelers LT by gambling on his recovery. One of the best LTs in the league.
Haloti Ngata - 1 yr/$8M
Ryan Wendell - 1 yr/$1.5M
Craig Stevens - 1 yr/$3M

Draft (links included):
1 - Jared Goff - QB - California - Not much needs to be said here, the Browns need a guy like this to build a franchise around.

1 - Jaylon Smith - LB - Notre Dame - The versatile defender and difference maker that this team desperately lacks. They can move him all around the defense to make plays. Adept at shedding and making plays, future Pro Bowler.

2 - Josh Doctson - WR - TCU - He should absolutely be a first rounder, but maybe he doesn't blow up the off-season and Cleveland gets lucky. Great size and body control, superb hands. Raw route running, but workable as a rookie because of his physical gifts. (Alt. pick: Tyler Boyd - WR - PITT)

3 - Jason Spriggs - OL - Indiana - Great first step and technically sound, especially in the run game. Indiana has been good offensively for two years now, and they've done a large chunk of that running behind this guy. Needs work in pass pro, but this guy has all the makings of an All-Pro type OL at either tackle spot.

4 - Bryce Williams - TE - ECU - One of my favorites in this draft, he's a 6'6 250 pound TE with WR skills. Teach this dude to block efficiently and he's

4 - Jonathan Allen - DL - Alabama - Athletic as hell and built like a brick shithouse, this is a guy that could rise. For now, I'll keep him here. He'd add some depth and versatility to a line that badly needs it. Crazy play here.

5 - Antonio Morrison - LB - Florida - Still not fully recovered from an injury late last year, it may push him down. It was his second major injury, but when this guy is on the field he's just a stud.

5 - Tre Madden - RB - USC - Last year I had Antonio Andrews as my late round RB, and he's starting for the Titans. Hope to hit gold again with this guy. Slowed by injuries in his career, he's a physical runner that is splitting carries with some other talented USC backs. Could bump Crowell from a roster spot.

6 - Deiondre Hall - CB - Northern Iowa - Long, lean and fast enough to cover guys on the outside. Not afraid to hit, could develop into a solid contributor in time.

6 - Jaime Byrd - S - USF - Ballhawk that finds the football and tackles well. This is the type of guy who someone drafts late that ends up starting for someone. A bit undersized.

6 - Ryan Switzer - WR - UNC - Fearless dude who makes plays. It's what he does. Undersized white guy who returns punts, kicks, runs the ball, catches everything and is quick as hell. An offensive coordinator is going to find a place for this guy.

7 - Travis Britz - DL - Kansas State - Tough guy type, but really good against the run. 6'4, 290-pound guy is still athletic enough to play outside in the 3-4. Just watching him, just seems like the kinda guy you want on your team.

Offense:

QB - Jared Goff -- Josh McCown -- Austin Davis
RB - Duke Johnson -- Isaiah Crowell -- Tre Madden -- Malcolm Johnson
WR - Josh Gordon -- Josh Doctson -- Brian Hartline
WR - Travis Benjamin -- Ryan Switzer -- Andrew Hawkins
TE - Gary Barnidge -- Bryce Williams -- Craig Stevens
LT - Kelvin Beachum -- Jason Spriggs
LG - Joel Bitonio -- Ryan Wendell
C - Cam Erving
RG - John Greco
RT - Mitchell Schwartz

DE - Desmond Bryant -- Xavier Cooper -- Travis Britz
NT - Danny Shelton -- Jaime Meder
DE - Haloti Ngata -- John Hughes -- Jonathan Allen
OLB - Armonty Bryant -- Keke Mingo
ILB - Chris Kirksey -- Antonio Morrison
ILB - Jaylon Smith -- Tank Carder
OLB - Nate Orchard -- Scott Solomon
CB - Joe Haden -- Justin Gilbert -- Charles Gaines
CB - Pierre Desir -- Deiondre Hall
CB - K'Waun Williams
FS - Jordan Poyer -- Jaime Byrd
SS - Donte Whitner -- Ibraheim Campbell

K - Travis Coons
P - Andy Lee
LS - Hughlett

What draft site are you using for your picks? I kinda want to do one, but I'm not sure what rankings or mock drafts are good to base it off of.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."