• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2019 Cleveland Indians Opening Day Roster

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Pitchers and catchers report in less than a month and full squad is due for the Indians exactly one month from today, so even with several holes on the team and over 200 free agents still unsigned, it's time to start looking at how the Cleveland Indians Opening Day Roster may shape out. As we get closer and, as the Indians hopefully add a few more pieces, I'll continue to update.

PROJECTED 25 MAN ROSTER

C-Roberto Perez
C-Kevin Plawecki
1B-Jake Bauers
1B-Carlos Santana
2B-Jason Kipnis
SS-Francisco Lindor
3B-Jose Ramirez
IF-Max Moroff
OF-Leonys Martin
OF-Tyler Naquin
OF-Jordan Luplow
OF-Greg Allen
SP-Corey Kluber
SP-Carlos Carrasco
SP-Trevor Bauer
SP-Mike Clevinger
SP-Shane Bieber
RP-Adam Cimber
RP-Nick Goody
RP-Jon Edwards
RP-Dan Otero
RP-Tyler Olson
RP-Cody Anderson
RP-Jefry Rodriguez
CL-Brad Hand

OTHER POSSIBILITIES

C-Eric Haase
1B-Bobby Bradley
IF-Yu Chang
IF-Eric Stamets
OF-Oscar Mercado
OF-Brandon Barnes
OF-Daniel Johnson
P-Justin Grimm
P-James Hoyt
P-Rob Kaminsky
P-A.J. Cole
P-Neil Ramirez
P-Sam Hentges
P-Chih-Wei Hu
P-Jean Carlos Mejia
P-Adam Plutko
P-Ben Taylor

EXPECTED TO START ON THE DISABLED LIST

OF-Bradley Zimmer
P-Danny Salazar

If we trade a starter, who becomes our fifth starter?

And is it normal to only carry 4 outfielders? I thought most teams had 5.

If we trade a starter, who becomes our fifth starter?

Could be Plutko, but it's been said the Indians are requiring a ML-ready SP in any deal for Kluber/Bauer.

And is it normal to only carry 4 outfielders? I thought most teams had 5.

Just a guess on my part, but I think they'll carry an extra RP early on. Your regulars don't need days off early on, and carrying the extra pen arm gets you an extended look at another guy.

Reactions: Lee
Is plutko ready?

He did alright last season. I think we will still bring in other veterans like a Shields/Pomeranz etc to compete as well with Beiber for the last starting spot anyways. If we trade Kluber/Bauer I wouldn’t have a doubt we would bring in a fair amount of guys to compete for the last spot.

Plutko I am pretty sure is out of options, so he’s got to make the team otherwise we have to try and get him through waivers. So this is a make or break season for him with this organization like Merritt was like year (sadly he is with Tampa now). Not sure if guys like Edwards, Taylor etc have options or not as well.

Side note: it’s possible we start the season with Bieber in the minors not because he he deserves to be, but because we don’t need out 5th starter right away. He may not pitch at all the first week or two of the season if he is with the big league club.

Last edited:
Early camp battles:

Catcher spot between Haase and Plawecki

Bullpen: The only one on that BP list above that is guaranteed a spot is Hand, everyone else is trying to get one. We should and probably will have more veterans to compete.

Utility INF: at the moment it is NRI Freeman, Stamets and Moroff competing for the utility infield spot. None can hit, so we may look to upgrade that position soon.

We don’t know yet if Ramirez is at 2nd or 3rd, but if he’s at 2nd, Kipnis is in the OF and you will have a guy like Chang looking to make the roster at 3rd, with likely some veteran mixed in to compete with him.

OF isn’t set at all either.

So essentially on paper even though we are likely going to be division winners, only 11 players essentially have guaranteed spots, Our rotation, Hand, Martin, Santana, Ramirez, Lindor, Perez. No one else is set in stone (Kipnis is owed a lot, but if he has a bad spring, I wouldn’t even think they would be opposed to trading him for a dollar store pb&j sandwich/cutting him).

Early camp battles:

Catcher spot between Haase and Plawecki

Bullpen: The only one on that BP list above that is guaranteed a spot is Hand, everyone else is trying to get one. We should and probably will have more veterans to compete.

Utility INF: at the moment it is NRI Freeman, Stamets and Moroff competing for the utility infield spot. None can hit, so we may look to upgrade that position soon.

We don’t know yet if Ramirez is at 2nd or 3rd, but if he’s at 2nd, Kipnis is in the OF and you will have a guy like Chang looking to make the roster at 3rd, with likely some veteran mixed in to compete with him.

OF isn’t set at all either.

So essentially on paper even though we are likely going to be division winners, only 11 players essentially have guaranteed spots, Our rotation, Hand, Martin, Santana, Ramirez, Lindor, Perez. No one else is set in stone (Kipnis is owed a lot, but if he has a bad spring, I wouldn’t even think they would be opposed to trading him for a dollar store pb&j sandwich/cutting him).

Generally we agree but I really do believe that Cimber Goody Otero and Olson are set

Generally we agree but I really do believe that Cimber Goody Otero and Olson are set

Goody, we don’t know how he will be off of surgery, but to me any of those guys have a bad spring, they may not make the roster if someone out duels them for the position.

It is their position to lose but it no way shape or form guaranteed to them.

PROJECTED 25 MAN ROSTER

C-Roberto Perez
C-Kevin Plawecki
1B-Jake Bauers
1B-Carlos Santana
2B-Jason Kipnis
SS-Francisco Lindor
3B-Jose Ramirez
IF-Max Moroff
OF-Leonys Martin
OF-Tyler Naquin
OF-Jordan Luplow
OF-Greg Allen
SP-Corey Kluber
SP-Carlos Carrasco
SP-Trevor Bauer
SP-Mike Clevinger
SP-Shane Bieber
RP-Adam Cimber
RP-Nick Goody
RP-Jon Edwards
RP-Dan Otero
RP-Tyler Olson
RP-Cody Anderson
RP-Jefry Rodriguez
CL-Brad Hand

This is my projected 25 man roster for opening day!

PROJECTED 25 MAN ROSTER

C-Roberto Perez
C-Kevin Plawecki
1B-Jake Bauers
1B-Carlos Santana
2B-Jason Kipnis
SS-Ryan Flaherty
3B-Jose Ramirez
IF-Max Moroff
OF-Leonys Martin
OF-Matt Joyce
OF-Jordan Luplow
OF-Greg Allen
SP-Corey Kluber
SP-Carlos Carrasco
SP-Trevor Bauer
SP-Mike Clevinger
RP-Alex Wilson
RP-Adam Cimber
RP-Cody Anderson
RP-Jon Edwards
RP-Dan Otero
RP-Tyler Olson
RP-Oliver Perez
RP-Tyler Clippard
CL-Brad Hand

Bieber starts in the minors to keep him game ready, Lindor starts the season on the DL. Its a Gamble going with Flaherty since he hasn't been a great hitter, but I think he replaces Lindor until he is healthy, then we cut Moroff if Flaherty is still doing well. Anderson gets sent to the Minors to call up Bieber and I will stay with 13 pitchers since Martin and Allen both can play all 3 OF spots and Flaherty can play out there as well. Salazar and Zimmer get moved to the 60 day DL, while Ramirez and Taylor get outrighted/cut.

Opening day lineups:

RHP/LHP
Allen/Allen
Kipnis/Luplow
Ramirez/Ramirez
Santana/Santana
Bauers/Bauers
Luplow/Kipnis
Martin/Perez
Perez/Martin
Flaherty/Flaherty

Ugh... anyway you look at who will be on the roster, that just looks ugly to me. We need a RH batting OF so we can get Martin out of the lineup against Lefties.

That lineup. Woof. Though I will say I think Joyce will make the roster and platoon in right field.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."