1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

22nd and 37th Pick Discussion

Discussion in 'Browns Talk' started by AZ_, Apr 20, 2012.

1. AZ_

AZ_ Hall-of-Famer

Let's assume that the Browns select either Morris Claiborne or Trent Richardson with their first round pick. Those are seemingly the consensus favorites to be Browns if they keep the 4th pick.

Now, with that in mind, let's discuss what direction you would head with following two picks.

For the sake of argument (specifically mine), let's take Brandon Weeden out of the equation as well. I don't want this thread to get derailed like all the others.

Who you got?

4 - Trent Richardson
    22 - Cordy Glenn - OT - Georgia
    37 - Reuben Randle - WR - LSU

4 - Morris Claiborne
    22 - Doug Martin - RB - Boise State
    37 - Bobby Massie - OT - OleMiss

• Like Like x 2
  2. SuperSurge

SuperSurge Slice & Dice Staff Member

Would people be oppsed to drafting another RB later even if we picked Richardson? Say taking Pead later on (3rd round or later)?

As far as your two choices, I like the Claiborne, Martin, and Massie combo. Although I am slightly more in favor of Richardson over Claiborne...

3. Shakalu M.D.

Shakalu M.D. Its Happening!!!!

That's pretty much how I see it playing out too. We have a ton of picks and I wouldn't be totally surprised if we used some of them in an effort to move up from 22. If Tannehill does randomly fall past Miami then I think we may move up to grab him. If not, I could see us going Trent and then making a move up to try and get Floyd.

4. cdt

cdt Oh My God! Staff Member

It's weird to say, Boobie you read my mind...

Cordy Glenn is a monster, how great would this be......

Jim Donavon: "Colt McCoy with a handoff to Richardson he fakes left, heads right. Glenn with a menacing block on Woodley, Richardson breaks a tackle he's got one man to beat, ohhhhh what a stiff arm on Polamalu he's still going. Richardson will not be denied 10...5...touchdown! Richardson with a 37 yard run and the Browns take a 10-3 lead!"

I'd love a big mauling RT to plug in and have our 5'9 RB just gash the defense ripping off 7 and 8 yard gains as the Steelers aging defensive line is getting manhandled by the Browns offensive line.

Alright and at 37 I would also like Reuben Randle. Nice big target at 6'4" and a perfect fade to the back corner pylon kind of guy. I wouldn't mind Stephen Hill as I've heard he may be slipping a bit. I know it's an extremely impossible longshot with having to slip past the 49ers and then the Colts and Rams but Coby Fleener would be a helluva pickup. Watson is aging and one concussion away from being out for extended time. Evan Moore can't get on the field, Alex Smith is strictly a blocker and Cameron is a project. If Fleener is head and shoulders the BPA and better than the receivers out there I'll take him.

5. AZ_

AZ_ Hall-of-Famer

Not at all.

One guy I'd like to see the Browns take is Tauren Poole from Tennessee around the 5th or 6th.

He would bump Ogbonaya off the team, and provides a safety net for the oft-injured Hardesty and Brandon Jackson.

6. cdt

I've said it all along with taking Richardson, I'd love Pead, LaMichael, or even a big bruiser to pair with him. Montario as the 3rd back or B-Jax.

I'm fine with 2 RBs or 2 WRs and a T with the first 5 picks. Offense heavy, the last two drafts have been defense heavy, we'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AZ_

AZ_ Hall-of-Famer

At this point I think it all depends on whether or not Glenn lasts until 22.

He is the dominant run blocker on the right side we've been waiting for. His floor is probably as an above average right guard, but he's going to get the start at tackle.

If the Browns could get him to slim down and quicken up his feet just a bit, this kid has Pro Bowl potential at right tackle as his ceiling.

Randle is a guy who you just plug and play, a three-year starter at an SEC school who would be a top 15 pick if he didn't have Jordan Jefferson throwing to him IMO. Really hindered his game film, but the kid starting opposite Greg Little...with Norwood and Cribbs in the slot? That's legitimate.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Soda

Soda Bania'd

Richardson and Glenn make it worth it to me. I would prefer to take a different WR, perhaps even one ranked lower than Randle. I feel like Randle and Little do not compliment each other well. Not enough speed. If I have confidence in anything Heckert it is that he'll look for a receiver with hands first, then speed.

9. cdt

Unfortunately a month ago I would feel confident saying Glenn and Randle would be there, however I've seen several recent mocks where Cordy goes to the Chargers or another team in the later teens. I wouldn't be upset with a slight trade up for him. I feel like he's the best fit at T for the team and would be a perfect compliment to selecting Richardson at 4.

Randle I've started seeing go in the later 1st and early 2nd which would be unfortunate. I think he's a definite possibility to the Texans in the 1st as well as the Colts in Rd 2 and the Rams again in the 2nd unless they grab Blackmon in the 1st.

I really don't want Kendall Wright at 22, I'm just not impressed with him and the negative things we've all been hearing. 5'10 and he doesn't have elite speed? I'll take my chances elsewhere. I just really hope we don't sabotage this team by selecting a QB at 37 and thus limiting the improvement we can make offensively this year.

10. Gordon Bombay

Gordon Bombay In the Rotation

would love richardson, glenn and randle

11. JMcCurry08

JMcCurry08 NBA Starter

Richardson, Hill, Massie

12. cdt

For everyone saying they want speed I'd prefer to take a guy solely on speed and field spreading ability a bit later. Those are typically the althetes playing football that take a lot of development and coaching to become NFL caliber receivers. I'll take a TY Hilton and I'm sure with our bevy of picks that Heckert has the idea of taking a couple of riskier boom or bust players that could potentially turn into big time playmakers either in the return game or as a developmental deep threat.

Random prediction...I see this as Josh Cribbs last season as a Cleveland Brown. 7 million for a KR that hasn't housed one in almost 2 years is too much to pay unless he doesn't show up fat again and gets back to his old self. No coincidence he hasn't been nearly the same player since "da man got paid."

13. cavsfan1985

cavsfan1985 ^ kind of a big deal!

See, I have a hard time with this question. Is the goal of this draft to give us a great shot next year to make some noice, or is it to cont. and build a solid base and build depth. If the FO feels secure with their job, I think they go for depth, and hope adding a new OC helps the offense. If that is the case, I think you take Claborn if he is there, then try and trade up and draft Floyd, and take best west coast RB available with next pick.

14. AZ_

AZ_ Hall-of-Famer

I'd really have a hard time being upset if they took Randle at 22, given the uncertainty of that whole 20-50 region of where guys can go...If they want to reach a bit for their guy I'm all for it.

Attack the RT position at 37, or trade back into the second as well.

15. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

I like this scenario...

#4: Richardson
    #22: Riley Reiff if he falls- If not Nick Perry DE out of USC or Stephon Gilmore CB out of South Carolina
    #37: Ruben Randall
    Use 3rd Rounder and one of the 4ths to get back into the 2nd round to grab Bobby Massie if we didn't get Reiff.

If Randall is not there I'm not super excited about the rest of the 2nd round WR class (Sanu, Jeffrey)

16. chumpclassic

chumpclassic Quimby

He housed a punt return vs. the Ravens last year but I agree. 7 Million is way to much to pay him especially with the new kickoff rules that started last year.

17. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

I've been on board with Randall for a while. 22 would be a reach, but I agree, I wouldn't be upset with that reach. I would be very nervous if Randall was our hope in rd 2 because he could easily be snagged before 37.

18. speedyd718

speedyd718 Game Changer

I'm meh on Randle. I'd rather see Hill or Jeffery the pick before settling on Randle.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stitches

Stitches Whitby Hall Hero

I hope the Browns have Coby Fleener in consideration at 22. He'd be great for them, giving them an elite talent to attack the seams and help in the red zone.

I also think Chris Givens should be in consideration at 37, as he'd be a great pair with Greg Little IMO.

On the OL, Glenn and Massie would both be solid picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jonathon Martin available between 22 and 37 either, and he may be worth exploring too.

20. Stitches

Stitches Whitby Hall Hero

I think Perry is a bit underrated by many people, and at 22 I think he'd be a real good pick. Him and Sheard could be a nightmare for offenses.