• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

7 Passenger SUV

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phills14

Cleveland Sports Fan
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys I thought I'd start a thread about this category of vehicles to get the opinions of some of the car guys here.

With 3 kids my 4 door sedan just doesn't cut it any longer. I need a bigger SUV but not a monster. I typically buy a newer used vehicle rather than a brand new car. I've looked at them all and have my favorites...

2014 or newer Dodge Durango. Upgraded transmission and the electronics look sweet. Probably the leader in the club house.

Honda Pilot: We had a pilot a few years ago and loved it. It's pretty roomy and has a ton of cargo space. I love the huge space there is between the drivers and passengers seat for all the junk I move around. However; it's very boxy and I can't get over the fact that it's too much of a Soccer Mom car.

Ford Explorer: I love the outside styling but I'm not a fan of the interior. As silly as it sounds, there isn't a good place to rest your phone in the car. Why don't vehicles have a specific area where you can stand your phone up without taking up a cup holder.

Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon: I love everything about these cars before the recent redesign. I hate the redesigned look. They look like a hearse. I'd love to get one of these but man they are $10k more expensive than anything else I've looked at.

GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave: I really like this car but my wife has one so I can't buy a 2nd one.

Full Size 4 Door Pickup trucks: I always say I could use a pickup truck and I'd seriously consider it if I had 2 kids but I have 3. Anyone else try to lug around 3 kids in a pickup? The backseats are really roomy but still they are close enough side to side to touch each other and cause problems IMO.

I'm going to stay away from the luxury brands (MB, BMW, Lexus, Acura, etc). I just don't need to go there.

Anyone have an opinion on the cars I mentioned?

We've only got two kids, but we loved our Expedition; with three kids, I wouldn't even look at a Ford Explorer. I rented a Tahoe a couple months ago, and thought it was too big. Many of my work friends drive the full size trucks, and as long as you can don't mind putting stuff in the back then storage isn't a terrible issue. Keep in mind, I live in Florida; so the elements in Chardon might be worse than what I deal with :)

The Buick Enclave is one of the best-reviewed SUVs IIRC, but the dual captains seats in the back won't help a family with three kids. In fact, we were really close to getting the Enclave; I just couldn't get over how it looked like a "Mom-mobile". The new Durango looked pretty sweet, has some pretty good reviews, and doesn't have terrible mpg.

I'd say for you, the Durango is probably tops.

I didn't like the Explorer's back seat and third row so even though I like the look and the feel from the driver's seat, I've ruled it out.

The Enclave is real nice however; it's essentially the same car as the Acadia which we already have. Plus the extra fake wood trim isn't my style.

We actually love the 2nd row captain's chairs with 3 kids. This creates an aisle the the kids to get to the 3rd row instead of screwing around with a fold-able 60-40 split or even worse, climbing over the seat with their muddy/wet shoes.

The interesting thing about the Durango is it has 2 engine options. V6 with 290 HP or V8 Hemi with 360 HP. The V8 probably would be fun to drive but it seems like a needless upgrade.

Can't decide between a pickup and an SUV but liked your old Honda? Split the difference and get neither with a Honda Ridgeline!

(just a suggestion in case you didn't think of it)

Both of my parents have a Buick enclave. I have 3 other siblings and when we went on vacation therr was plenty of room. Plus their nice cars.

My wife owns an escape and you probably want more space. I drove to Florida over the summer with 4 people in the car and that was the worst trip ever.

Can't decide between a pickup and an SUV but liked your old Honda? Split the difference and get neither with a Honda Ridgeline!

(just a suggestion in case you didn't think of it)

Yea I'm not a fan of the ridgeline.

I have looked into this myself and the Toyota Highlander was the best i could find but not on your list.

On the list the Pilot is by far the best, but also the ugliest. I personally go for practicality before all else on vehicles so i personally would go with Pilot (since the highlander is not being considered for some reason)

Toyota is a good brand and I kind of like the 4-Runner but there is something I have never liked about the Highlander, same with Mazda. I can't put my finger on it but I just don't like the CX9 which is rated highly too.

What kind of dick gets rid of a perfectly good Acura TL?

Have you looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe? It has captain chairs and a 3rd row seat.

hyundai-Santa-fe-seats.jpg

images

2015-Hyundai-Santa-Fe-Sport.jpg

Yea I'm not a fan of the ridgeline.

Don't blame you one bit. It's interesting but functionally it's for a real niche market. It can't really do truck things or SUV things.

Used to have a 2012 Pilot, traded it in for a Jeep...dumb ass move!

It was a great car...added a ridgeline leveling kit on it for a couple hundred bucks which lifted the front two inches and gave it a little more clearance. Then added 30in tires to it. Took away the mom feel for me:)

But seriously, the only gripe I would have with it is that the rear bay sloped towards the back of the truck...made it annoying when you throw a basketball in the back and it immediately rolls out..other then that it was a nice suv for the money.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."