1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser. You can find the style chooser on the bottom left of the website. - Ben

A close look at pick 24 options

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by ajz20, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

A close look at pick 24 options (2nd First Round Pick talk only)

Now, part 1 is predicated on not trading up with one of our trading chips. Part 2, with a realistic trade into the teens . I thought it would be nice to have a thread just for our 2nd 1st rounder, (so it does not get lost wiith debate over the 1st pick. Being that the slot is set and the draft is 2 months away now. I am first going to go through options with and without a movement up the draft.

Realistic Goal; Obtain a every game role player for the next 7-10 years
    Home Run Goal- Obtain a starter for the next 7-10 Years who has all star upside
    Top Options; Feel free to voice your displeasure with the following list. I know our decision will also be affected by who we get with our 1st pick, but lets start the conversation!

Options that may not require a trade up:

1. Jeff Taylor SG/F Vandy- May possibly need to trade up just a bit, but there is a shot he is there at 24. If so, he may be one of the best value picks in the draft. Has starter potential. Very fluid athlete, with a very improved jumper. Solid defender, but average ability to create off the dribble. Can post up smaller guards and is outstanding in transition. Can be a legit starter on a playoff contending team. Would be a great pick up if Grant is unable to find a partner to move up. Not an all star, but will be the next level below.

2. Andrew Nicholson PF ST Bonnie- I really like this kid's offensive potential in the NBA. He has a back to the basket game, and has developed a really nice jumper. He is the guy you watch and after 5 minutes immediately think to yourself "he can play." If you saw the FSU game in March, you saw how he was by far the best player on the court. Would be a great contrast coming off the bench to TT in the future.

3.Arnette Moultrie- PF Only saw him play 3 times, but I think his best basketball is in front of him. Good length and has the frame to add a ton of weight. Good agility and skill for his size. Reminds me of "hot rod williams" type of player. Very good big to have coming off the bench. Could play center if he fills out his frame.

4. Moe Harkelss Sf St. Johns- Still raw and wont be able to help a ton his rookie season. Has a long way to go on his jumper. However, he can be a future starter if he maxes out on his potential. Great in transition, good defender, and can get to the basket. His upside may be higher then Taylor in 2-3 seasons. It would be a good decision to have to make. Higher upside then ALonzo Gee, due to basketball IQ and aggressive style of play,

5. Tony Wroten 2g/pG- Very good handles. Jumper is very poor as of now, but he has a great change of direction and can play three different positions. Has a ton of upside, but also needs some time to develop his game. Interesting combo with him and Kyrie and him.His draft stock may soar by June, making him a guy you will need to trade up for.

6. Dion Waters- 2G Syracuse- Instant offense off the bench. Would be a great 6th man, Can score from all parts of the floor. Great future role player. Not sure if him and Irving would work for long stretches due to size.

7. Evan Fournier- G/SF International- Great ball handler and driver with SF frame that needs to fill out. Jump shot has a ways to go, but he could be a future reserve at both the 2 and 3, and is a legit upgrade over Casspi.

8. Royce White PF ISU- Great physical tools, with starter upside. Off the court problems and lack of maturity are a read flag. May need to trade up to get him. Is he wort trading up for?
    Other players worth mentioning at 24.
    Doron Lamb, Jon Jenkins, Festus Ezeli, Draymond Green, Fab Melo, Tomas Satorasky. These guys may be there at 33-34.

Top Options with a realistic trade to the mid or low teens
    . Assuming it is unlikely to get back into the top 10.

1. Terrence Ross SG Washington- Future starter at the 2 and could be fringe all star. I love a ton about his game, The more you watch the more you love. My number 1 favorite realistic draft scenario is winning the lottery getting AD and then trding up for Ross Great movement off the ball and good finisher at the rim. Could develop into a pre-injury Micheal Redd type player. Would be my dream player for our 2nd 2st rounder.

2, Quincy Miller SF Baylor- Still recovering from major injusry. Great size at the SF at 6"9 and good stroke from 3. His upside will be determined by his recovery from major injury in High School. If he gets his hop back, he could surpass Ross with potential.

3. Austin Rivers- If he slips in the draft into the mid teens, it could be an interesting option to trade up for. I think he is only scratching the surface with his ability. Not sure if and Irving would be a good match, but he slips into the bottom lottery, maybe to become agressive. I expect him to be taken in the top 10l, but you never know!

4- Terrence Jones- SF?F UK- The downside is many think he is a tweener. I think he cajn play the SF spot and very well at the NBA level. I know it came out last year, and Wine and Gold mentioned that the Cavs like him. Will most likley be out of reach just like Rivers with a trade up.

5. Myers Leonard C Ill. I know alot of you are scratching your heads.BUT, the guy has some upside and in my opinion has more physical tools then Tyler Zeller will go in from of him. Centers are very hard to find. i know there will be some in next years draft, but the best of the best will go top 5. I dont see all star by any means, but I do do 13 ppg and 8-9 boards a night, and a decent shot blocker. We dont have a long term option here, and if he slips down the draft, it is worth thinking about.

Recap- Dream Draft- Win lotto get Anthony Davis, and use 24 and future 1st rounders to nab Terrence Ross.
    That would give us three future all stars iin the starting lineup in my opinion and a legit chance to become a top 3 seed in 2-3 years. Please give me your detailed feedback, if you have also watched a lot of college basketball, and looked at these players, and not just read the scouting reports online.

Lets keep this thread on track for the next 60 days until draft night,and not mix it with debate about our 1st pick. Now, I realize the options at 24 and 33 and 34 may have some guys that blend into both. But, I am going to leave the 2nd round break down to to others for now.

8 people like this.
  2. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

Arnette Moultrie seems like he'd be a steal at #24. I'd prefer Moultrie to Fab Melo. If the Cavs don't like the front court options at #24, and they don't have to give up anything other than some second rounders to trade up for Leonard, then I'd be OK with that kind of deal.

Quincy Miller seems like another good value pick if the Cavs take a guard in the lottery.

6 people like this.
  3. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

I agree. I think we can do much better then Melo at 24, but I did put him on the consideration list. We will almost certainly need to trade up 5-10 slots to get Q. Miller.
    I personally would rather trade up for Ross, because he is a more complete player and does not have the injury history. But, Q. Miller does seem to have more upside if he recovers from his injury 100 percent (but he may never get that top notch athletic ability back)

4. melecoaze

melecoaze Faith In Breesus

[video=youtube;AhnOApGV3QM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhnOApGV3QM[/video]

I would be thrilled if we got Quincy. Very skilled, nice post moves for his age. If he gets his explosiveness back, he would be a huge steal

4 people like this.
  5. Czvosec

Czvosec All-Star

Moultrie seems like the kind of guy that, if his head is on straight, could be a great first big off the bench. The ability to play inside and out would be a huge advantage against opposing benches. That said, his commitment has been questioned, although I'm not sure how much of it was him and how much was that team (that MSU team was as dysfunctional as it gets, and Moultrie has to be held accountable for some of that). Moultrie actually reminds me of Millsap (minus the rebounding), a player who may be best suited as a 6th man.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pavlovic3Ball

Pavlovic3Ball BARNES BRIGADE

I think Waiters is going to go mid lottery. I have a feeling his stock is going to rise in the workouts.

1 person likes this.
  7. Huber.

Huber. Adrninistrator

I just hope they dont take someone that will go undrafted like the browns

2 people like this.
  8. Pavlovic3Ball

Pavlovic3Ball BARNES BRIGADE

Was Eyenga even on the draft mock boards for 2009? I still remember the moment of award silence when we took him lol.

9. Anglefan

Anglefan Getting a lot of that weak stuff outta here!

It is not possible to take someone who goes undrafted.

9 people like this.
  10. QuadrupleDouble

QuadrupleDouble All-Star

I think he meant it, ah whatever.

Are there any good mocks out yet that go all the way through the second round? I know the lottery position isn't set yet, but I'd like to see who people are projecting for our late first and early second picks

1 person likes this.
  11. Czvosec

Czvosec All-Star

Here's DX's latest: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/

Has the Cavs taking MKG, Evan Fournier, Darius Miller and Doron Lamb.

In other words, we're going to be the Cleveland Wildcats.

3 people like this.
  12. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

That would be a great draft, but I have a feeling one of the second rounders will be a Euro stash.
    Fournier would not be a bad pick at 24, but I would hope we explore all options to move up and grab Ross, Miller or Taylor before we settle for Fournier,

13. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

Draft Express has not yet taken team needs into account. But it's helpful in that Givony at least offers a list of players ranked from #1 through the 2nd round. I think he starts to fine tune the list (according to what teams need) after the lottery takes place, but until then, it is best used to roughly approximate where players might fall.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    2 people like this.
  14. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

I second Quincy Miller. The guy gas a very high upside and can shoot and score in a variety of ways. At 6'9" withca 7'4" wingspan, he has monster size for a small forward and more length than almost all NBA power forwards and even some centers.

15. bushwick_bill

bushwick_bill Sixth Man

MKG and Lamb? Yes please...

1 person likes this.
  16. jason436

jason436 Towel Waver

Wroten interests me because his ability to play some PG would allow Kyrie to play off the ball some and give us two guys that can start the break.

I also like Jones for our SF position.

2 people like this.
  17. abraxas

abraxas 6th Man

Royce White, if he's still there. The "red flags" have been over-rated. The dude has a phobia of flying, that's it. There was an unsubstantiated charge against him early in his college career that was thrown out. From all that I've heard and read, he's made some mistakes but a good dude. I hope the red flag stuff scares folks because he's a solid player.

18. metalman213

metalman213 In the Rotation

Problem is that he will be gone in the lottery, and if not, without a doubt before 24.

19. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 Send Sideshow to ASG

Got to say I'm intrigued by Royce White as well. Probably the most unique game coming out of college right: Boris Diaw mixed with a Big Baby Davis size of body.

Overall I'd be happy with a lot of options that maybe available. In addition to White, Moultrie and Fournier would be great. If we luck into MKG, Fournier at the other wing spot would be a nice complement. MKG would take care of the D while Fournier would have the offense

20. TheISHT

TheISHT Gold Star Member

If we get #1 or #2 I go hard after a second player.

If we get #1 Davis, I could see MKG dropping to 3 or 4 (Possibly Drummond and Robinson go ahead of him). I would go Balls out for MKG/Beal/Lamb/Barnes/Miller. For MKG I'd trade AV/Lakers Pick/plus our unprotected #1 next year, I'd move AV/plus Lakers pick for a shot at Lamb/Barnes/Miller/maybe even Rivers.

If we got #2 and MKG, go all out for Beal or Lamb. I think they could drop farther and would cost less. I hope we're aggressive this draft regardless.

1 person likes this.