• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A closer look at Harrison Barnes

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I know that there's still plenty of season left, that we don't know what pick the Cavaliers will have, and that a lot can happen from now until the draft (including a lockout), but I figured we'd take a break from TPE trade discussions and the horrendous current state of the team and look toward the future with a closer look at a guy who may very well be the Cavaliers' next franchise player.

Harrison Barnes
College: UNC
Height: 6'8"
Weight: 215lbs.
Position: Forward

NBA Comparison: Luol Deng

Strengths: Athletic wing with long arms (7-foot wingspan), good muscle tone and excellent body balance ... Kid with a great attitude, work ethic and willingness to improve … Has a disciplined approach. Shows a good understanding of the game making positive decisions with the ball ... Doesn’t show many bad habits, good body language … Has excellent form on his shot, and developing range … Can pull up off the dribble and hit shots … Does a good job of attacking the basket and creating contact and free throw shooting opportunities … Good foot speed, both side to side and first step off the dribble … Already has good body strength and with wide shoulders and core strength, should be able to add additional strength without sacrificing any speed or agility … Knocks down shots from the line at a good rate … Has only been playing primarily on the wing for the past 18 months, before that he was an inside player so he’s on a steep development curve learning how to play the wing. His development has been very quick which bodes well for him … Gives good effort on the defensive end getting low and using a proper defensive stance … Perspective. Appears to have a good understanding of where he is now, and where he’s going … Still shows a good deal of potential left in his game …

Weaknesses: Needs to work on improving his left hand and become equally adept at driving using either hand … Should look to improve his mid-range game and become a more consistent shooter from the perimeter … Makes good decisions with the ball but appears more comfortable in the half court than finding teammates on the break … Shows an evolving offensive game after moving to the wing position and his ball handling and passing are still becoming second nature to him. He is beginning to look very comfortable with the ball in his hands facing the basket and his handle continues to develop …

Aran Smith 6/6/09

[video=youtube;mubYknvQec8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mubYknvQec8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;gzuik78mfUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzuik78mfUQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The next Carmelo Anthony? --- UNC's Harrison Barnes is the next Carmelo Anthony

My take:

With a lock out looming (possibly), there was a report that stated that Kyrie Irving and Harrison Barnes would return to school. With the comparison's of Loul Deng and possibly Carmelo Anthony, this kid will be good in the NBA, but will take a little bit of time to develope in the NBA. That huge wing span will help. With Harrison Barnes supposedly a top 5 pick in the draft, some people think Barnes has been a dissapointment so far. But, I don't think he will be.

Also, Barnes is averaging 11.7ppg, 1.5APG, 30.8% from 3pt range, 5.3RPG.
Now, what is your take on Harrison Barnes?

He is a very smart player, and I actually see him as more of SG in the NBA because of his quickness and ball-handling ablility. Also he has stated that he sees himself as a SG at the next level as well. And although, he is 6'8, from what I've seen of him, he doesn't play like it at all, he's much more perimeter oriented.

He is really good defender, and there's really no weaknesses to his game, except so far his lack of scoring. DX has yet to write about him this year, which most likely means they are waiting for him to do something.

The comarison's to Marvin Williams are not even close. Totally different kind of player. Same school, same height, and that's where it ends. Right now he seems like he could be a glorified Shane Battier in the NBA. A lockdown wing defender, that does everything well, but only gives you 10-15 ppg. It's hard to see him, at this point, being any kind of decent scorer in the league. But still a good player nonetheless, and the type of player every team could use.

^Also, I don't see the Carmelo Anthony comparisons in the slightest.

It's amazing how Barnes' star has fallen since this summer. He has gone from many people's #1 pick to a guy that could fall out of the top ten.

A closer look at Harrison Barnes?

I'd rather keep my distance.

I said he'd be a bust a long time ago. Watched a lot of his high school games...

Barnes really doesn't stand out when you watch UNC and that is scary considering how mediocre they are this year. If he didn't come in with all the preseason AA hype, he wouldn't be on anybody's radar for the top pick in the draft.

Check out the Kansas vs. Baylor game on ESPN right now. Jones, Dunn, Morris, Morris and Selby will all be in the league.

Just spotted Chris Grant in the crowd at the Baylor, Kansas game.

He strikes me as someone who dominated in HS based on height. Now that everyone's his size...eh not quite so dominant.

maybe because he wants p erry jones

Give him time... Harry will explode soon enough. Probably once Marshall starts instead LD2

Next Carmelo Anthony ?

More like next DerMarr Johnson.

NEXT !!!!!!!!!!!

Give him time... Harry will explode soon enough. Probably once Marshall starts instead LD2

I agree with the LD2 sentence. Being a UNC fan also, he is a more frustrating PG to watch than Ramon Sessions, and that's saying something.

He's been to passive this year it's hard to even spot him on the court. While I think he'll have a long career in the league, you'd expect more aggressiveness out of the supposed #1 player in the country.

I seriously question his High School competition now. If he can't get points in Roy Williams system, I'm not sure where else he would? And the Carmelo comparison in simply garbage. Not similar games whatsoever.

From what little I have seen of him, he reminds me of Marvin Williams 2.0.....which obviously leads to modest expectations.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."