• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A Free-Throw Solution? (Probably not, but we can dream)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Krolik1157

Technically Award-Winning
Reaction score
Here's an article from today's New York Times:

Investing in Free Throws Pays Off

The Dallas Mavericks, the N.B.A.’s top team this season, are no strangers to winning ways, but in getting an edge on opponents over the past several years, they have gone beyond sheer talent.

The Mavericks have what amounts to a secret weapon in Gary Boren, an investment banker who is the N.B.A.’s lone free-throw coach.

Boren, 67, has been with the Mavericks as an assistant since 1999 while working in banking. He is an adviser to The Equity Group, which is based in Dallas. Since he joined the Mavericks, they have finished in the top six in the league each season in free-throw shooting, including four first-place finishes. This season, Boren has them at 80.7 percent, the fourth time his team has been higher than 80 percent at the line.

“He has been invaluable to us and a big part of our success,” the Mavericks’ owner, Mark Cuban, said in an e-mail message.

Boren begins by filming the players shooting free throws.

“What’s amazing is, these guys have seen miles of film running up and down the court and the coaches are yelling at them, but not one in a hundred has been filmed standing still shooting a free throw,” Boren said.

There are 41 common problems that Boren is looking for in the footage, but he cautions that merely telling a player what he is doing wrong will not help him. He must first deal with the mental barriers that players put up.

“They all think they’re better shooters than they are,” Boren said.

“I’m not trying to make them all look like Mark Price,” Boren said of the former N.B.A. guard of the late 1980s and ’90s, who played mostly with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Price was a 90 percent career free-throw shooter, the best in league history.

“I’m trying to take what they’ve got — because they’ve already shot thousands of shots — and tweak their shot in the most important areas that will give them a shot to get better.”

Even when the player wants to learn, Boren must conquer another barrier.

He tells them: “When I look at you, I see two things — a brain and a bunch of muscles — and the good news is the brain is really clicking. But the bad news is your muscles have been taking a siesta. They like it the old way and they’re not paying attention to any of this stuff. So when we get down there, they’re going to resist.”

Possibly Boren’s biggest success story was the 7-foot-6 center Shawn Bradley. During the early part of his career, Bradley shot mostly between 60 to 70 percent from the free-throw line. Working with Boren, he reeled off three consecutive seasons above 80 percent, including 92.2 percent in 53 games in 2001-2.

“Shawn worked on the mechanics, did everything I wanted him to, and he went to 90 percent,” Boren said.

In 1993, Boren approached Don Nelson, who was the coach of the Golden State Warriors, the league’s worst club from the free-throw line, and offered to help.

Nelson used Boren as a free-throw adviser with the Warriors and when he coached the Knicks, then made him an assistant when he became the coach of the Mavericks.

Nelson and Avery Johnson, who replaced him as the coach of the Mavericks during the 2004-5 season, allowed Boren to have autonomy over free-throw shooting.

Boren credits Denny Price, Mark’s father, with teaching him the fundamentals. Denny Price taught Mark free-throw shooting when he coached him in high school and continued to give his son advice throughout his N.B.A. career. When Boren decided to pursue ways to help players with free throws, he sought out Denny Price, whom he had met, and received pointers from him.

“By no stretch am I claiming to have dreamed all this stuff up,” Boren said, laughing. “I tell people that knew who Mark was and his daddy Denny that 98 percent of what you’re hearing from me, just pretend you’re listening to Denny Price talking.”

Despite Boren’s success, no other teams have hired a free-throw coach.

“It’s so simple what’s going on here,” Boren said. “It’s just crazy that there’s no other free throw coaches in the league.”

A couple of things:

If David Wesley is worth 1.6 million per year, then a free throw coach is worth a couple hundred thousand.

This article played up the Mark Price connection like Denny Price is the only master of free throws, but there are plenty of guys like that around the world-short, slow, white ex-european pros who can drill jumpers/free throws all day long. We once had a shooting coach come to our high school-he went something like 750 of 755 on a combination of short shots, midrange shots, free throws, and college 3-pointers in 2 hours while giving a lecture, and he was glad to be able to work at our high school. He made at least 100/200 free throws without missing. (I realize it's a lot harder in an NBA game, but still-damn.)

Everyone would want to be known as the guy who got LeBron up to an 85-90% free throw shooter-it would definitely provide the 15 minutes that most ex-semipro players would kill for.

Why couldn't we get Mark Price? He just got fired from a head coaching job with an Australian pro ball team, which means that he's both available and still wants to be around the game.

As has been mentioned, a 15% ft% improvement from LBJ alone would boost our scoring average a full point.

LeBron already has a private shooting coach, and has since before his rookie year (I saw it on his episode of The Life), but free throws are significantly different than jumpers, and since LeBron's jumper is better but his FTs are worse, he should go the free-throw coach route.

Of course, a free throw coach isn't magic-Shaq has had one for a couple years now, and he's still no Mark Price. (In fairness, he can't bend his right wrist properly, so it's tough.)

If all else fails, go Rick Barry.
(3 quick points on that- 1.Why do people think that a player would be humiliated if he shot his free throws underhanded? That's a guaranteed way to become a fan favorite-if Andy shot free throws underhanded, he could become the mayor of Cleveland. 2. The Warriors were days away from bringing in Rick himself to turn Biedrins underhanded in training camp, as Don Nelson called him "the worst free throw shooter he had ever seen." 3. After Rick Reilly's article on this subject, I went to the gym and tried some underhanded-it's way, way, harder than it looks. I hit rim like 2 out of 10 times, and finally made one after like 17 tries.)

Krolik, You beat me to it. I was just going to post the same article as a follow-up to a recent thread wherein I argued that Brown wasn't paying enough attention to practising free throws (the evidence being that the Cavs shoot 70% from the free throw line, in comparison to the 75% that my amateurish, unathletic but well coached and well practiced high school team shot my senior year). At last glance, only two of the Cavs in the regular rotation were shooting better than 75% and none were shooting the 80% averaged by the Mavericks. We're going to lose some games we should have won if this continues.

If Greg Oden can shoot 60% left handed, then NBA players can shoot 80 with their dominant hand.

Krolik1157 said:
If David Wesley is worth 1.6 million per year, then a free throw coach is worth a couple hundred thousand.
Exactly. Someone should get this FT Coach idea in Dan Gilbert's suggestion box ASAP. He's exactly the kind of owner that would see it as a true investment.

When I was young, I used to go to Wooster Basketball Camp - some of you probably know of it. They had a guy come in that was automatic from the line - must've made 150 straight during his talk. It may be the same guy you are talking about.

Excellent article...rep.

Something needs to be done. The Cavs bad FT shooting will cost them a playoff game unless improvements are made.

Better focus and concentration would at least be a start to improve things. I don't see much of either now from many players at the FT line.

Yes, Narl. It's no coincidence that the two most focused Cavs at the free throw line, Z and Drew, are the best free throw shooters. Lebron, who has the most to gain for himself and the team from improving his performance at the line, is too busy dribbling the ball, kissing his wrists, and running his eyes from the floor, up the backboard, and finally to the rim (where they should be focused from the time he approaches the line).

Let's all fill Gilbert's in box...I'm game..

Wow, the words "most focused" were used with Drew Gooden and really, I can't disagree.

aaronr said:
Yes, Narl. It's no coincidence that the two most focused Cavs at the free throw line, Z and Drew, are the best free throw shooters. Lebron, who has the most to gain for himself and the team from improving his performance at the line, is too busy dribbling the ball, kissing his wrists, and running his eyes from the floor, up the backboard, and finally to the rim (where they should be focused from the time he approaches the line).

Not sure if that's fair...Tons of great free throw shooters did/do some kind of goofy little routine before their FTs...Rip Hamilton does that little dribble/dribble/side dribble deal, Arenas takes it around his back, and even Rick Barry himself looked straight at the floor and bounced it 3 times before he shot it. A lot of pros need that little moment to clear their head and make free throws into a muscle memory routine-I would submit that free throws are one of those things that thinking doesn't benefit. (Just ask Gilbert Arenas or Dirk.)

That's not to say that LeBron doesn't have free throw problems. Here's a quote from the biography of him they released before his rookie year: "[LeBron's] unorthodox free-throw shooting style-arms extended straight up above his head in follow-through, eyes following the arc of the ball instead of focusing on the rim like most shooters would-left his cousin Maverick mystified that those free throws ever went in." It's clear that he should fix those mechanical "quirks", but in my opinion he might as well keep kissing his wrists-always good to let the (I forget if it's his mom or his girlfriend) and kid know you care. (Although I guess the "kiss-blowing" routine wasn't enough to save Jason Kidd's marriage. Anyone know what he's doing before FTs now?)

And I hate to play Devil's Advocate, especially to myself, but it looks like we may have a causation/correlation issue over in Dallas-Dampier is a worse FT shooter since coming over (.630 career, .605/.591/.609 in 3 years in Dallas), as is JET (.836 career, .844/.800/.789 in 3 years in Dallas) and Devean George (.715 career, .655 this year). Stack has improved slightly since he got to Dallas, and the players they drafted have shown great improvement in their FT shooting from their rookie years (that might be normal;I'm sure as hell not going to check), but a big part of the equation seems to be that Dallas gets players who are good FT shooters to begin with. I still mantain that a FT coach would probably help our team, and is more than definitely worth a try, but he's not going to come in here, go Benny Hinn (free throw hitch-BE GONE!) and make everyone an 88% shooter overnight.

I went to that Wooster camp way back when! Saw that same guy too.

I have no clue why Lebron does that stupid routine, although that sort of thing didn't hinder Jason Kidd shooting his FT's.

Krolik1157 said:
Although I guess the "kiss-blowing" routine wasn't enough to save Jason Kidd's marriage. Anyone know what he's doing before FTs now?
Dang, that was cold... :shocked: but rep for the observation :boxer:

Last edited:
I've always had a theory about teams that play great defense. I will say the word great because I believe they have turned the corner.

teams that put so much effort into d end up shooting free throws like sh*t. To make this a short post. SA and detroit.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance