• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

A reason for the warriors success (and lack of injuries)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SmudgeHog

Fan of good basketball
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/13098001/golden-state-warriors-show-rest-best

CLEVELAND -- Three hours before Game 6 started, Cleveland Cavalierssuperfan Tony Jones stood outside Quicken Loans Arena on the corner of Huron Road and Fourth Street. Jones, who made the nine-hour drive from his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri, stuck his chest out, which read "All-In" on his Cavs T-shirt, and yelled to the bustling crowd shuffling into the arena.

"We hurt!" Jones screamed. "But we got LeBron James! Game 7, here we come! Let's go Cavs!"

Three hours after Game 6 started, a sweat-soaked James slowly walked to his bench one final time in this injury-marred season as the Cleveland faithful roared in appreciation. James sat down, untucked his jersey and buried his face in it at the end of the bench.

The Golden State Warriors were the last ones standing. As bodies broke down all around the NBA this season, it was the Warriors who remained intact.

This wasn't supposed to happen. The Warriors employ so many players who got hit with the injury-prone label at some point in their careers: Stephen Curry,Shaun Livingston, Andrew Bogut, Leandro Barbosa, Festus Ezeli.

But in the regular season, the Warriors finished with the fewest minutes lost due to injury in the NBA. And in the postseason, they finished as champions.

Those two facts are not unrelated; the first was a catalyst to an end.

This wasn't all luck. This was all part of the plan: to rest, to recover, to outlast.

It was the night of the 2011 draft lottery, and Bob Myers had just gotten his first job with an NBA team. A high-powered agent for the Wasserman Media Group, Myers had crossed over to the other side and taken a job as the assistant general manager of the hapless Warriors.

It was Myers' first time at the event, but the Warriors were regulars. The team had been lottery-bound in 16 of the previous 17 seasons.

NBA playoffs '15

Myers stood in the lottery room when another GM of a lottery team put his arm around him.

"Look around, what do you see?" the GM asked like an old sage.

Myers tried to whip back a witty answer, but he had nothing.

"I don't know," Myers said.

"Injuries," the general manager said. "All these teams had injuries."

After the confetti fell Tuesday night on the Warriors' title, this was the moment that stuck out to a champagne-soaked Myers. Just four years after taking over GM duties from Larry Riley, Myers assembled the healthiest team in the league. According to injury data maintained by ESPN Insider's Kevin Pelton, the Warriors lost only 1,252 minutes to injury this season, the lowest total in the NBA.

Curry missed one game with a sore ankle and one for rest. Harrison Barnesplayed all 82. Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, Andre Iguodala, Livingston -- none missed more than five games this season. Bogut, who arrived injured in a controversial trade for Monta Ellis in 2012, played over 2,000 minutes this season (playoffs included) for the first time since 2010-11.

Myers credits the training staff led by Johan Wong and director of athletic performance Keke Lyles, and the coaching staff led by Steve Kerr, who rested Curry for 20 fourth quarters when he could have played more to boost his numbers. In turn, the coaches and trainers credit Myers and ownership for building the roster with the right bodies.

"Well, there's luck," Myers said. "We've had bad luck, too. Two years ago, David [Lee] was out against the Spurs and the Nuggets. Last year, we had no center against the Clippers. So you're in it and you're going to have years when you suffer injuries. And you're going to have years where you stay healthy."

This is Myers trying to deflect credit. But it's no coincidence that the Warriors were the healthiest team.

"You come in, now you have two days that are 18 and 19. All right, now that's a trigger. He's normally an 11, let's check in. If it's sleep, we'll look at the questions that are bad. We'll look at the travel."

The Warriors noticed that player stress was linked to lack of sleep. So they rescheduled their flights to the day after, not the night of games, so they could sleep in and get a full night's rest.

With the subjective side taken care of, the team then tackles the objective portion. They look at SportVU player-tracking data (for game workloads), Catapult data (for practice workloads) and Omegawave heart variability data (to test neurological stress). With these four inputs (including the subjective side), the Warriors have a dashboard that indicates whether a player should give it a go, and for how long.

And the players bought in early.

"Really, if you're fatigued or sore, no one wants to feel like crap," Lyles said. "They want to feel better just as much as we want them to feel better. It's not like a head game."

The dashboard was screaming in early March. The indicators told Kerr that the core players were exhausted and redlining to dangerous levels. So he decided to rest Curry, Thompson, Iguodala and Bogut against the Denver Nuggets on March 17.

Kerr understood fans' complaints that they wanted to see Curry & Co. in action.

"But I can't base my team's welfare on that," Kerr told reporters after the game in March.

The Warriors hope to aggregate all the fancy data and have the readiness rating completed for the start of next training camp. They continue to tinker with the algorithm so they can help predict injuries.

"I can't guarantee that'll make them better," Lyles says. "But I will say this: Better-conditioned guys get injured less, guys who get injured less tend to play more, guys who play more tend to make more money and have longer careers."

Back in 2008, Stephen Curry caught Darren Burgess by surprise.

At the time, Burgess was the sports scientist for the Australian national soccer team, just before he took over as the head of performance for soccer powerhouse Liverpool FC, before he accepted his current position as the high performance manager for the Port Adelaide Australian rules football team.

Burgess is close with several NBA training staff members, including Phil Coles, who was recently hired by the San Antonio Spurs to be their head of medical services, and Bryan Doo, the strength and conditioning coach of the Boston Celtics. In 2008, Burgess was touring the top training staffs in the United States during his offseason, and the famed Phoenix Suns facility was on his list.

The Warriors, coached by Don Nelson, were in Phoenix playing the Suns. After the game, Burgess was taken through the Suns' locker room and training room for a tour, while all the players quickly made the trip to nearby Las Vegas because they all had the next day off.

The players cleared out and Burgess figured he'd get the full uninterrupted tour. But as he turned into the trainer's room, there was Curry on the table, getting treatment.

"What a star already," Burgess remembers thinking. "He had the professionalism back then when it wasn't as cool to pay close attention to your body and it wasn't in vogue. Everyone else was doing their thing in Vegas and Curry was getting treatment."

Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love for the Finals (Irving was injured late in Game 1).

Both Young and Burgess are amazed by James' efforts and his ability to overcome fatigue. With an exhausting schedule that included three games in five days and cross-country travel, maybe James would benefit from getting a game off, perhaps Game 4 up 2-1, to preserve his body and keep it fresh for Games 5, 6 and a possible 7.

In Burgess' experience, stars are often rested in the Premier League and in Australian rules football leagues; these teams play multiple games each week, as in the NBA. Resting a star, something that Gregg Popovich recently popularized in the NBA, is referred to as "rotating the tires."

Would resting James in Game 4 have made sense from a performance standpoint?

"It's a good question," Burgess says. "I would imagine if you ask LeBron, he'd say no chance at all. And the coach generally would go with the player. But in Liverpool, we would rotate the tires. The decision you have there is the fatigue; you could rest him for one, and get him better for three later games."

But even with all the worries about fatigue, Burgess doesn't think resting James for Game 4 would have been practical.

"I certainly wouldn't want to be the fitness coach who goes up to the coach and says, 'Listen, I have this idea: rest LeBron,'" Burgess said.

Young agrees that it probably wouldn't go over well to rest James. But he saw James nearly fall asleep at practice press conferences. He saw James hobble on and off the court. He saw several of James' late jumpers miss short in the series.

Burgess discussed the possibility of resting James with his colleagues.

"What we ended up coming to is that the damage is already done," Young said. "They should have been resting him throughout those 82 games and the playoffs. But you have to deal with the hand that you're dealt at this point."

"I think if you would have given [LeBron] the whole game off, to buy him a couple extra days, that would have made a huge impact."

Athletic Lab's Dr. Michael Young
James struggled late in the Finals. Entering Game 6, the Warriors had outscored the Cavs by 43 points after the third quarter. In Tuesday's game, the Cavs ran out of gas late just as they did in Games 4 and 5.

"Cleveland wasn't as good as the Warriors to have the luxury of resting guys all the time like the Spurs have done brilliantly over the years," Young said. "That's the kind of stuff that is trickling down from the Premier League, where if you have the luxury of doing it, you better do it."

To the Cavs' credit, James took some days off in the regular season, including a two-week break in January and some second nights of back-to-backs -- the land mines of the NBA season.

Like too many NBA teams this season, though, the Cavs lost plenty of players because their bodies broke down. Irving played 44 minutes in Game 1 and fractured his kneecap in the late stages of the game. Anderson Varejao tore his Achilles earlier in the season.

"I think if you would have given [LeBron] the whole game off, to buy him a couple extra days, that would have made a huge impact," Young said. "You can see the time markers in rugby, where you see fatigue markers 36 to 48 hours after the game ... you see the fatigue. The couple days would help for sure, and you mitigate the travel when you do that."

Young thinks the NBA is a tougher riddle to solve because there are only five players on the court. Every star means that much more. But preserving health becomes even more paramount.

"It's going to be very difficult to change the fatigue culture in the NBA," Young said. "It's a lot easier to change in other sports, where you have more than five guys on the field or the court at any one time. What you're seeing is that a Jordan or a LeBron, they can go and be the top-four in the league just by themselves even surrounded by total duds."

Young is happy to see NBA commissioner Adam Silver making it a priority to cut down on back-to-backs and four-in-fives. Rather than the possibility of resting stars in the playoffs, Young hopes the league pre-empts that conversation.

"I think it's more realistic that the league smartens up and shortens up the season, or looking at the scheduling to make it a little more favorable in terms of travel," Young said.

The Finals MVP came off the bench this season.

Kerr wanted to play fast and knew it might wear down guys like Andre Iguodala in an 82-game season. So he asked Iguodala before the season to anchor the second unit.

And eight months later, Iguodala appeared to be the freshest player on the court, hitting long jumpers when everyone was coming up short and galloping down the court when everyone else was laboring. Iguodala scored at least 20 points in two of the last three games in the Finals. In the previous two months before that, zero.

And all the while guarding James, the best player on the planet.

Now Iguodala has a Finals MVP trophy to show for it.

"It's really fitting that the award went to Andre because he sacrificed his starting role from the first game of the season," Kerr said of Iguodala. "An All-Star, an Olympian saying, 'OK, I'll come off the bench.' It set the tone for everything we were able to accomplish."

In the end, though, the Warriors' MVP wasn't Curry or Iguodala. It was the organizational commitment to health -- both of body and mind.

When Cavs fans cheered on their team, the injuries were the first words uttered, like a caveat. Then they spoke of James. Because of player health, the Cavs had the roster depth of a puddle. In the 23 minutes that James didn't play in this series, J.R. Smith, Matthew Dellavedova, James Jones and Iman Shumpertcombined to shoot 0-for-21.

The Warriors' depth was the reason they outlasted their peers. When everyone else's stars suffered injuries this season, the Warriors were the last ones standing as a full squad.

As the NBA saying goes, the best ability is availability.

"You have to capitalize on health," Myers said. "Because in this league, you just don't know."

So much of this article is just crazy. I know Tom has been pushing this rest narrative hard all year, but how can you actually suggest that teams should just bench guys during the playoffs? When you only have 7 chances to win, you can't just say, "well, I'm going to lose tonight, but we'll get them next game!" You have to try your best to win every game.

Also, I have no problem with them tying Andy's injury to wear and tear from over play, but we honestly have no clue if Kyrie's injury was just a freak accident or due to being worn down. I mean, I get the general argument that rest will help prevent injuries, but so much of it is luck. Would he be writing the same article if Steph had broke his neck/back when he took that tumble? I mean the only way to have used rest to prevent Love's injury was never having him step on the court. Even if that one completely freak injury doesn't happen we would have had a way better shot to win the title because we would have had another player that could actually do stuff offensively.

TL;DR

Once again, too much Warrior nut sucking going on.

Didn't read all of that because I'm lazy, but the warriors were the luckiest team in the nba this season.

they just had everything go right for them.
4 starting PG injured, OKC injured, Clippers chocked after beating SAS (was an unbelievable series and should have been conference finals imo)
that's two of their biggest threats gone like that, SAS or Clippers would have beaten them this year.

mark my words - they will not make the finals again in the Curry,Thompson area
and this will be their only championship together, those two are the most overrated players in the nba and curry will never win another MVP.
you cant beat father time, but lady luck is also undefeated

Didn't read all of that because I'm lazy, but the warriors were the luckiest team in the nba this season.

they just had everything go right for them.
4 starting PG injured, OKC injured, Clippers chocked after beating SAS (was an unbelievable series and should have been conference finals imo)
that's two of their biggest threats gone like that, SAS or Clippers would have beaten them this year.

mark my words - they will not make the finals again in the Curry,Thompson area
and this will be their only championship together, those two are the most overrated players in the nba and curry will never win another MVP.
you cant beat father time, but lady luck is also undefeated
If you had read the article, you would see -why- the warriors were best at avoiding injuries. It was an extremely high-tech approach - and fairly unprecedented. Sitting Curry for 20 fourth quarters - and sitting basically the entire team at various points (at denver) when the stress/fatigue algorithms called for it - this wasnt luck.

Players that are rested and under less stress get injured less. It is a statistics thing. Sure there is an -element- of luck, but the warriors specifically set out this year to try something new, a revolutionary approach to keeping players healthy, rested, and by that, avoid the injuries that accompany stress and fatigue. Instead of getting into an argument with a player (Like kyrie) and essentially guilting them into "playing through pain" they took the 100% opposite approach, and forced players to rest and skip quarters/games.

That was the point. it wasn't luck - it was a model for other teams to follow. A complete departure from the old-school "Play through pain". And the results are there for everyone to see. 83 wins and a championship.

Kerr knew what he was doing. He's been through the rigors of high pressure 80+ win NBA seasons. He would know exactly what the players actually needed to survive that long.

So chuck 3s and sit at the last quarter?

I think the Cavs roster might emulate it, with the latest roster

Love's shoulder injury suggests doing anything like the Warriors did would not have prevented it. Bottom line is the Warriors were lucky. Cavs were not lucky. Bottom, bottom line is if the Cavs were even just slightly more healthy than they were, they beat the Warriors anyway.

Love's shoulder injury suggests doing anything like the Warriors did would not have prevented it. Bottom line is the Warriors were lucky. Cavs were not lucky. Bottom, bottom line is if the Cavs were even just slightly more healthy than they were, they beat the Warriors anyway.
Thatsthe thing... maybe if we do something like this they will be slightly more healthy.

Im thinking more of lebron than love though, honestly. He seemed asleep. He fell asleep in meetings. I think he was completely drained, and that is what the system is supposed to mitigate.

I think they did try to sit him in the last few games, but I think it was too late by then. They need to go into the season with the idea of fatigue management, using a rigorous process like this.

It isnt a knock on the cavs, or anyone. it is just a suggestion that might pay dividends next year.

Im no expert sports conditioning coach... I was just impressed by the article.

If you had read the article, you would see -why- the warriors were best at avoiding injuries. It was an extremely high-tech approach - and fairly unprecedented. Sitting Curry for 20 fourth quarters - and sitting basically the entire team at various points (at denver) when the stress/fatigue algorithms called for it - this wasnt luck.

Players that are rested and under less stress get injured less. It is a statistics thing. Sure there is an -element- of luck, but the warriors specifically set out this year to try something new, a revolutionary approach to keeping players healthy, rested, and by that, avoid the injuries that accompany stress and fatigue. Instead of getting into an argument with a player (Like kyrie) and essentially guilting them into "playing through pain" they took the 100% opposite approach, and forced players to rest and skip quarters/games.

That was the point. it wasn't luck - it was a model for other teams to follow. A complete departure from the old-school "Play through pain". And the results are there for everyone to see. 83 wins and a championship.

Kerr knew what he was doing. He's been through the rigors of high pressure 80+ win NBA seasons. He would know exactly what the players actually needed to survive that long.

You can have the luxury of sitting your best player during the fourth quarter if the refs have your back and you have someone who can pass the ball in your bench.

Thatsthe thing... maybe if we do something like this they will be slightly more healthy.

Im thinking more of lebron than love though, honestly. He seemed asleep. He fell asleep in meetings. I think he was completely drained, and that is what the system is supposed to mitigate.

I think they did try to sit him in the last few games, but I think it was too late by then. They need to go into the season with the idea of fatigue management, using a rigorous process like this.

It isnt a knock on the cavs, or anyone. it is just a suggestion that might pay dividends next year.

Im no expert sports conditioning coach... I was just impressed by the article.

Don't agree with some of the other posts you made in the Blatt and LeBron, but this article was a great read and some interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it.

As Myers himself mentioned, a large portion of it is luck. GS had injuries in prior years that perhaps prevented them from going further than they could have otherwise. And some injuries that happen on the court are simply freak occurrences or collisions that do not relate with stress and rest. So next year, for all their diligence and rest strategy, Curry could have something crazy happen to him like what happened to Mark Price years ago or what happened with Olynyk and Love.

But still, interesting to read about their strategy and little details about how they flew in the mornings after games, so that players(if they chose too) could get full sleep in a bed rather than on a plane.

Well, it's easier to rest players if you already have 1st seed. It may not be smart otherwise, depending on the competition. GSW had a quite easy playoff run with a lot of days to rest and to recuperate because they managed to get hold of the 1st seed in the regular season.

However in general I also belong to the rest club.

I would be full on board with a similar approach next season, assuming our roster stays close to what it is. It was easy to see that the team was so gassed in the 4th quarter of each of the last 3 games that they weren't going to have much of a chance. Delly can stop Curry, but not for 40 minutes a game x 7 games. Once he went to the hospital for dehydration, that was basically it. Lebron didn't sleep the whole damn series and it showed. Missed jumpers and missed free throws are the result. It makes players more injury prone for sure, it's not going to prevent what happened to Love, but it would help.

Unfortunately this teams been going hard since January and it caught up in June. If we had Love and Kyrie for the entire Eastern playoffs maybe Lebron would have had enough in the tank to eke out 2 more wins in the Finals solo.

Next year would be an opportune time to do something like this. We're going to hopefully be at least 10 deep with Kyrie, JR, Lebron, Love, Moz, TT, Andy, Shump, Delly, and JJ. Give some guys days off, play unconventional line ups so that if injuries happen, you've got a blueprint and experience for what to do. It will cost some games probably, but even with the 19-20 start we ended the year with 4 meaningless games or so, so there's a huge margin for error in the regular season even if you're aiming for a top 3 seed.

How does any of this prevent Kelly Olynick from pulling a shoulder out of a socket deliberately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk at your local pub.

You what the Cavs injury prevention method is?

Having the most innovative fucking hospital in the world

cleveland_clinic_4252.jpg

Injuries are luck. Warriors got insane amounts of luck, but still acted like douches about it. If Karma is real, GS will be down for a while.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."