• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Advice for a first time dad?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Akron330

Rookie FA
Reaction score
My wife and I are expecting our first child in August. I'm pretty damn pumped up/terrified for the arrival in early August. We find out that we're having a boy a couple weeks ago, that was the first time it really seemed real to me. When you see him moving around on the ultrasound, it was that "oh shit, this is really happening" moment. I know that there are a few dads on this site, looking for a little friendly advice/suggestions....

I'll be buying a new car before he arrives, any recommendations on a SUV?
How much did you spend on Daycare?
Anything else you learned that would be helpful?

I'd appreciate any input/advice that you can give me.....

Congrats! It is an exciting time!

As far as daycare, we have a great deal at $90/wk with a lady that watches 4 kids in her basement. Nice lady and does a lot of learning and craft stuff with my son who is 20 months. She is a retired teacher so it works great.

As far as car, not the most important at first, if you do plan on having multiple kids I would get a SUV with captain chairs.

Good luck!

My best advice is to breast feed as long as possible.

Not only is it better for the baby, but when the baby is hungry in the middle of the night you get up for 2 mins with your wife, say something nice to be supportive, then go back to sleep.

It is the money move for sure.

Not only is it better for the baby, but when the baby is hungry in the middle of the night you get up for 2 mins with your wife, say something nice to be supportive, then go back to sleep.

We had to do formula real early, but I agree with the overall gist 100%.

I have a six month old. I'd say just stay in the moment.

(1) It really does blow by. Seems like he was born yesterday. Every day he looks different, acts different, does new things. It's gotten cooler every day and it's really NOT that difficult to care for an infant.

(2) We don't have the same instincts/common sense when it comes to babies that women do. Stay focused on holding him correctly initially, making sure he's covered in a blanket when you leave, bottles are washed before you need to feed him next, budgeting additional time to leave your house on time, sticking to feeding and bed schedule, etc etc. It's all stuff that Just doesn't come to men naturally, but that make life a lot easier.

As usual Lee nails it. I'll add another positive side effect. As long as mom is nursing those boobs are going to be huge. You aren't going to get a ton of chances to enjoy them but when you do, oh boy!

Seriously, congrats man. It's exciting and scary at the same time. My biggest advise is be patient. Swallow your pride and allow your wife to win some arguments. She's going to be an emotional basket case that makes no logical sense. But if you challenge her it's only going to get worse. Just know that most of what she says is coming from fear, frustration and lack of sleep.

As far as SUVs, I've always liked the Honda CRV. @Shakalu M.D. I'm sure can help you out

I think you might be able to grave dig an old thread that has loads of advice.

personally we are routine parents, in that we try to prioritize the girls routines for naps and bedtime as much as possible. I just find it so much easier to build a routine and stick to it. Jo Frosts super nanny confident baby care was our bible and really helped us stick to our guns and give us confidence in those times where you are not sure if it is the right decision.

I am also a huge advocate of baby signing, i think it really helped us appreciate how much they can understand but not say, builds a vocabulary and relieves frustration on both sides.

Both of my children were breast fed until 9 months, thats the perfect length according to WHO. Its not always possible for a number of reasons but if your partner can then its free and nutritionally balanced.

After the delivery my wife went through some severe post natal depression, she didnt realise it at the time as it was our first and you expect it to completely change your world, but in comparision to our second she found the bond much weaker initially. But, she built good habits and talked thorugh her issues with other new mums via NCT and now its all gravy.

Now some bits that are not the most tasteful but maybe issues you are discussing, assuming you are aiming for a non Csection birth (which is shockingly at 33% for the US) :

Perineal massage: Is gross to do but really helps reduce the chance of tearing etc..

Post natal pysio: pelvic floor exercises should be done religiously after a month of so has passed from birth (cant remember the details but there are leaflets on what to do) basically core work and pelvic floor work will do 3 things for her, she will be able to jump and not pee herself, she will reduce the chance of prolapse and vaginal protrusion (this happens to my cousins girlfriend) and it will allow her to regain her 'tightness'

These are the biggest things i learnt from the first kid that helped with the second

My final thing is birth plan. My first daughter was born according to plan, but unfortunately she was basically dead APGAR=1 and luckily we were in the hospital and she was resuscitated and is completely normal (well as much as any 4 year old is). The second had some last minute issues and was delivered under high monitoring and in a very clinical environment which my wife was not fond of, but it was a simple and efficient delivery. I suppose the main point is...have a plan and a preference but sometimes you have to go with the advice and as the partner you have to be the voice of reason and manage that situation as best you can.

Congrats and good luck, its the best thing, although as i type this my daughter is refusing to go to sleep

Father of 2; reasonably confident that they are both mine; 2.5 year old girl and 5.5 month old son. My life is awesome - it's work and weekends are always a blast.

First, nothing can quite prepare you for going to the hospital with 2 people and going home with 3. Take a deep breath, you're going to get through it. In fact, take comfort that I am telling you it is totally normal to feel overwhelmed.

Before birth, go stand in line for a popular movie and go on a Saturday night to stand in line at a restaurant that doesn't take reservations. If you have the means, try to hit one last little vacation - maybe C-bus to miami and drive the Keys for 3 days. Last chance for years!

We had a high-risk first pregnancy, and that taught me a lot and humbled me. Like now: if you are fat, go to the gym and watch your diet. If you are poor, get another job or change jobs or get educated so you can change jobs. There's so much control with life, and so little control with pre-birth and even with a newborn. Embrace the control that you have, and learn to let go of things that you can't control.

Support your wife, who is going through this complicated thing you will never understand: mothering. She will worry about things that you will never emotionally understand, just know to support her. Then she will worry that she isn't worrying enough or that her worry is killing her child. Just support her. Don't argue with logical darts, just listen and empathize. Ask her how SHE is doing, and ask her if she could use anything. You are a man now, so don't run from it.

If your wife likes to read to feel prepared, my wife recommends Baby Wise, which talks about sleep scheduling and other stuff that I don't know b/c I didn't read it. As a general matter, I think babies come out as blank slates and they learn what you teach them. They can be shaped for the benefit of themselves, if that shaping benefits you. It's a marathon, not a sprint, but that's hard to recognize sometimes, particularly at 3AM.

Not all moms want to stay home with their children forever like my wife. I think that it's totally bogus that they often feel guilty about that. Just speak to your wife about what she wants her legacy to be and work together to achieve it.

In fact, speak to your wife a lot, about anything on your mind and her mind. Just keep conversations going about things, and make sure you aren't always bringing things up to debate. Just check in with her mentally/emotionally.

Learn to be hyper-respectful of all other parents, especially moms. They do things differently and in their heads, a little thing to you might be a huge deal. So when around other moms, compliment them, their babies, and how hard it must be and how you can "only imagine." When you see a pregnant lady (make sure she is indeed pregnant), tell her she looks great too, and ask if it's her first kid and get her talking, and tell her what you are going through too. As it pertains to your wife, nip anyone else's opinion, particularly mother-in-law's opinion, in the bud (especially if that opinion is not-so-thinly-veiled criticism).

Some people love/hate babies. I find the pre-smile stage particularly tough, for example. This too shall pass. You are not a bad person, you are cut out for this, etc. Just hang in there when you are really tired and grumpy - there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Finally, as a man with 2 kids, don't stress too much - there are 6 billion people on this earth, so there's lots of ways to parent. Just enjoy it and don't forget to smell the roses.

Congratulations. It's a trip. Every day feels like an eternity and the blink of an eye at the same time. Each day my daughter does something new, or says a new word or phrase and I'm just floored.

It changes you, but only in the best ways. Wouldn't trade a second I get to spend with my daughter for anything in the world.

Get your sleep now, gonna be a year or two until you get it back.

And just remember, vomit piss and shit will all wash out.

I'm so proud of X.

Learn, quickly, not to freak out when your kid is crying.

They're not dying -- it's natural, they are just expressing themselves. "Somebodies got stories to tell." Just talk to them...

Be easy, learn to accept it, especially if your kid is very vocal. I used to poke fun at my son who would cry and I would cry right alongside him while tickling him..

He'd stop, look at me like "you fucker..." then start up again, so so would I..

Lolololol!! Ohh that shit used to be hilarious.

It eventually turned into a pretty funny game that he still remembers to this day.

Also, I used my kids as sounding boards so that they would learn to speak at a high level. I constantly talked to my kids about everything.

I remember holding my son Adam and just talking shit to people while we played Street Fighter. Or just reading Dragon Age: Origins to him aloud, the entire time I played. I'd change his diapers and just ask him, "so... what do you think? Should I go get this item or is that too much so maybe nevermind? Oh yeah?... ok, let's do this then.."

I'm a father of 3 btw, so another piece of advice I can offer is that it definitely gets easier the more you have.

Thanks for the advice, it really is appreciated. After reading through these messages, I have a couple questions/comments for those of you that have responded.

We have never even discussed a vacation before the birth, we have been so focused on all things baby that we haven't even considered doing that for ourselves. I'm a teacher and will have plenty of time off before he pops out. This is a great idea

Boobs: How long do they stay sore? My wife's were already big before the pregnancy, now they're in another world. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't try to have some fun with them but she complains that they're sore. Will this stop?

How do you respectfully tell your mother or mother-in-law to "shut up" when it comes to baby advice? My mom isn't too bad but her mom is extremely passive aggressive and annoying. "Well, I never did it like THAT"....stuff like this drives me nuts

I need to be better about her feelings. I was raised with 4 brothers, and a football coach father. I kinda have that "man up" mentality that I need to improve on. I cater to her needs, but I need to do a better job when she wants to talk about her feelings, especially now.

How many daycares did you visit before choosing one? We are scheduled to visit 3 next week and i would like to make a decision sooner rather than later. Most of the centers that we called are down to 1-2 opening in November (which is when she returns to work after maternity leave), some of these places have a 18mo-2 year waiting list.

Sorry if this is all over the place, I can't concentrate with the bball on.

Boobs will stop being sore when they cease to be a source of food, or produce milk.

There's usually one time where you will tell a family member to fuckoff, after they say something critical of your parenting style. With me, it was shooting my own mom a look, and saying 'Thanks mom, I've got it'. Don't apologize after it happens, just continue as normal and don't make a big deal about it.

Daycare is tough, and its hard to find a place that fits your budget and makes you feel happy about leaving your kids with them. Fortunately, I took three months off when each of our kids were born.

Also, nap when they nap. When they get older and start messing up the house, don't spend all day picking up after them; one big cleanup after they go down for the night will do wonders for your state of mind.

We went on a ten day driving vacation in the NC mountains, Charlotte, and Ashville when our firstborn daughter was about four weeks old. Easiest family vacation ever, and our kids are now five and seven. It might be a tough sell on mama, but it's not the logistics nightmare you think it is....

(two kids, 5yo son & 7yo daughter, wife and I both work, neither of us are mutants/etc)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."