• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Ainge is a bastard

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pioneer10

Come home Sideshow Bob
Reaction score
How did the Celtics ended up with Zeller and Isiah Thomas for essentially cap relief and Marcus Thornton.

he Boston Celtics thrust themselves into the frenetic final minutes of the 2015 NBA trade deadline, acquiring point guard Isaiah Thomas from the Phoenix Sunsand dealing Tayshaun Prince to the Detroit Pistons, according to sources.

Boston acquired Thomas in exchange for Marcus Thornton and the Cleveland Cavaliers' 2016 first-round draft pick, sources told ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman.

Just goes to show those "meaningless" draft picks aren't so meaningless.

Zeller's ceiling is third big on a winning team, not a C, not a PF, going to be difficult for him to find the perfect role in the NBA.
Thomas has some solid offensive skills, but his size limits him on both ends, probably overpaid for what he brings.
Celts are moving in the right direction, but neither of these moves overly impressed me.

Zeller's ceiling is third big on a winning team, not a C, not a PF, going to be difficult for him to find the perfect role in the NBA.
Thomas has some solid offensive skills, but his size limits him on both ends, probably overpaid for what he brings.
Celts are moving in the right direction, but neither of these moves overly impressed me.
I think you missed the point... Ainge got them essentially for cap relief. That is terrific.

Still pissed Griffin gave away that Miami Heat 1st on top of Andrew freaking Wiggins! :(

And ironically, what we really need at this point is a fourth big on a winning team. Sure would be nice to have Zeller right about now, eh?
Not really, I'd call Zeller the opposite of the type of big we are seeking right now, as I mentioned, his skill set limits the opportunities for him to be successful.

I think you missed the point... Ainge got them essentially for cap relief. That is terrific.

Ainge just showed Chris Grant asset accumulation, but he did it as a guy who also knows how to draft and build winning teams. Danny Ainge is pretty damn good at his job, I don't think I can call him a bastard because of it.

No, I got the point, they are the kind of deals that bad teams with cap space can make, might help their rebuild, might not...Chris Grant could have made these deals with his eyes closed.

No, I got the point, they are the kind of deals that bad teams with cap space can make, might help their rebuild, might not...Chris Grant could have made these deals with his eyes closed.
No they clearly help the Celts rebuild, not 'maybe.'

No they clearly help the Celts rebuild, not 'maybe.'
On paper yes, but not possible to say for sure yet...I'll agree with you when I see Tyler hoist the O'Brien trophy over his head in a Celts jersey...of course we all know that can't happen, his baby arms would cause him to ram the trophy into his forehead.

Ainge just showed Chris Grant asset accumulation, but he did it as a guy who also knows how to draft and build winning teams. Danny Ainge is pretty damn good at his job, I don't think I can call him a bastard because of it.
I know you watched Ainge play back in the day. He was a basted back then and is one now. Classic hate him as long as he's not on your team guy

If we had cap space we could have pulled off similar trades Im sure, but, we had cap space for 4 years, and basically, that sucked.

Sadly we have Lebron James instead.

Come on, man. It's been well-documented on this board that we didn't exactly do our due diligence in shopping around this summer when trying to offload Jack. We effectively took the first deal on the table and let Danny Ainge bend us over. We more than likely didn't have to give up all the assets we did to offload Jack, and I think it's ridiculous to overlook that when having one or two of those assets now could really help us out.

After all, we just saw KJ McDaniels, a guy many of us would have liked the Cavs to grab, be traded for a fucking second-rounder that we didn't have because Griffin gave them all away this summer. I get that he's put together a nice team (although LeBron coming back certainly helped), but he's also pretty much just given rival GMs exactly what they wanted in every trade. The only GM I feel like he worked over was Phil Jackson, and even that one has been contingent on JR Smith somehow choosing this point in his career to develop a basketball IQ higher than a potato.

I like some of what Griffin has done, but I don't think he deserves a free pass just because he was lucky enough to have LeBron James sign with his team in the offseason. LeBron would have came back regardless of who was running this team. He wasn't sitting there going, "Hey, who's in charge of the Cavs now? David Griffin? Well, I was going to re-sign with the Heat, but in that case, sign me the fuck up!"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."