• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Anderson Varejao

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mott the Hoople

NBA Starter
Reaction score
Let me make this clear. I want to build a winner as bad as the next guy. I'm pretty sure the Cavs will be a playoff team next season. (Hell, we might this season, and we're not even trying to.)

Anderson is a unique big man that has improved over the years, and has an all-hustle attitude that's contagious. He is now a borderline All-Star.
If we trade him, we will never get equal, or better value. If that is the objective. I would need an unprotected lottery pick to trade Andy at the minimum. And I don't see anybody doing that.

He will be 30 years old next season. He still has plenty of energy to play for me. Add one rookie starting next year. Sign 2 middle of the road free agents. Playoffs here we come. (Waiting for another super star to show up could be a long wait.)

Jamison, Sessions, Parker, see ya later. Keep Andy.

Re: Anderson Varejao is our untouchable

Get rid of him for a good offer. Keep him if you don't get one.

We should've made a move for Gortat back in the day. Dammit.

Why would we not get "fair value" for him? Every GM in the NBA knows what he brings every night.

Thinking we are going to get an "unprotected lotto pick" is just crazy talk!

I like a trade someone mentioned with The Sixers.

AV/Sessions or Gibson

For

E. Turner/Noc/2012 1st round Pick

Let me make this clear. I want to build a winner as bad as the next guy. I'm pretty sure the Cavs will be a playoff team next season. (Hell, we might this season, and we're not even trying to.)

Anderson is a unique big man that has improved over the years, and has an all-hustle attitude that's contagious. He is now a borderline All-Star.
If we trade him, we will never get equal, or better value. If that is the objective. I would need an unprotected lottery pick to trade Andy at the minimum. And I don't see anybody doing that.

He will be 30 years old next season. He still has plenty of energy to play for me. Add one rookie starting next year. Sign 2 middle of the road free agents. Playoffs here we come. (Waiting for another super star to show up could be a long wait.)

Which is where he'll be next year. After that? Who knows. The drop-off in his already limited athletic ability has been more than evident this season. I like Andy as much as the next guy, but if you can get a good offer, you have to move him. Hopefully he keeps playing well and some team bites.

The only untouchable on this team is 2KI. When you're rebuilding you don't throw the untouchable tag on a role player. That's setting yourself up for failure.

As for making the playoffs next year:
C: Andy (if not traded)
PF: TT
SF: Middle Of The Road Free Agent/Gee/Rookie
SG: Middle Of The Road Free Agent/Rookie
PG: KI

we are more than just 1 year away from the playoffs.

Andy is a badass. He always has such an unusual line. Last night he had 10 pts, 16 rebounds, 4 steals, 4 assists, and 2 blocks. That is serious impact to a game and doesn't even factor in all the lose balls he creates and gets his hands on.

I think every team in the league wants a guy like him. I'm not totally against trading him, because he's a bit too old to be part of our long range plan, but we shouldn't trade him unless someone offers real value. Unprotected 1st round pick and a decent to very good young player or a seriously good young player if there's no pick involved.

I am starting to think we might get some value for him. His rebounding is now elite, and he is getting these other steals and stats. His value is starting to show on the box score, and he is almost averaging a double double. Not a 20/10 guy, but even so all the away announcers have been commenting on him, and I think most front offices see he has value. He is not the liability on offense he once was, and if you pair him with a stretch 4 or 5, you've got a potentially great front line.

If he keeps playing the way he does we can get some pretty good offers.

Andy was arguably at his best when we used to go small. 4 fast/mobile players that could defend the entire court, show & recover, or simply switch on every P&R.

Problem with ever trying to trade him is the good teams don't have much to give us back (high picks/young high ceiling talent), and none of the young rebuilding teams are going to bring on a guy who is too old to be a core piece (same issue the Cavs are having with him).

While it's unlikely that certain key players are likely to be traded, no player is "untouchable" in return for the right player or combination of players.

If the Cavs were offered Durant, Harden and Westbrook for KI, AV and whichever fillers were needed to make the numbers work, would you not do it?

The front office is playing up Anderson Varejao to an unprecedented level. The guy's playing phenomenally, and the entire Cavs team and organization is gushing over the guy. Even the league is taking notice of Andy more than usual. I'd say that the Cavs are perfectly setting up to get absolute maximum value for Varejao in a trade. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an unprotected lottery pick for him this season or on draft night. I love Varejao, but I really, really want to see this team succeed, so I am putting my emotional attachments to the guy aside. I am acknowledging that anything close to equal trade value that we get for Varejao in terms of picks or young talent by trading him will help us much more immediately because of a better draft pick from of more losses and down the road because of a young, talented player being present who can play at a high level during the entire duration of a championship run. I don't want a Mavs formula where we end up winning one championship then have to blow up our team. I want a formula that has our top 6-8 players peaking in their prime at the same time and can play together, winning many championships in a row. Keeping Varejao will not serve that purpose. I love him, but it's his time to go.

While it's unlikely that certain key players are likely to be traded, no player is "untouchable" in return for the right player or combination of players.

If the Cavs were offered Durant, Harden and Westbrook for KI, AV and whichever fillers were needed to make the numbers work, would you not do it?

I have noticed some people don't understand how the rebuilding process works. You have to cut out the personal attachment.

Problem with ever trying to trade him is the good teams don't have much to give us back (high picks/young high ceiling talent), and none of the young rebuilding teams are going to bring on a guy who is too old to be a core piece (same issue the Cavs are having with him).

Solution get a 3rd team involved in the trade that has the assets needed. Andy will be near replacable unless of course TT starts dominating the boards.

I wonder if the trade deadline will be pretty quiet this year because teams are struggling with the schedule and fear tinkering more with the lineups/ incorporating new players.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."