1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. RCF is Proudly Sponsored by INKTASTIC.com

Any electricians here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hurl Bruce, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Hurl Bruce

Hurl Bruce Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I have a light switch that controls the porch light that I want to switch over to a timer switch.

That original light switch is a double switch, though, which also controls one of the wall plug outlets.

Is there a way to make it so that outlet is just on all the time instead of requiring that switch to be flipped?

The wiring in the outlet is on the older side, so I may send you a picture or two in a PM to make sure I don't fuck it up too badly.

2. ZooCrewDude

ZooCrewDude In the Rotation

I would recommend getting a smart light bulb ($30 on Amazon). Make sure it’s outdoor rated.

You then control the bulb via your phone with an app. You’ll be able to set any schedule you want and also dim the bulb. You can even turn it on and off remotely.

I have it set up for my porch light and it’s great. Typically use a timer, but in the occasional time I don’t and forget to throw the light before bed I can flip it on from the comfort of my bed!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Hurl Bruce

Hurl Bruce Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Haha...I just returned the timer switch I bought and ordered a smart bulb from amazon. That will be much easier to use.