• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Anybody have any NBA Leauge Pass blackout work arounds

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kizzle

All-Star
Reaction score
I cant be mad because when you actually read the little stuff on the site it clearly says the team in your area will be blacked out. But as a first time subscriber and a guy new to WTF blackout even is, I feel like they should put that in huge letters right when you are at the confirm order screen. NOTICE IF YOU ARE BUYING LEAGUE PASS TO VIEW A TEAM IN YOUR AREA IT WILL NOT WORK!!!. But no. So I go to the support page to get a refund and what a surprise its down and has been down since the season started. So then I find a contact umber and when they answer its an automated guy saying go to the non existent support page. It just sucks because they blackout the local games because you are supposed to be able to watch it on your TV. But at 7 when Cavs games come on all I see is Blue Jackets Hockey. And that's another rant because why in the hell is hockey on FSO when Lebron James and the Cavs are freaking playing? Usually FSO replays the NBA game at midnight but I just don't get why they wouldn't play the NBA game and replay the Blue Jackets at midnight. Does anybody even watch the Blue Jackets?

So I guess does anyone know how to get around the blackouts? I know a little about computers so if its technical I should understand it. Id rather ask here than scour the net because im sure someone here has league pass and has had the same problem before.

What cable company do you have? I think I remember that when I was living in the Dayton area that Time Warner had an alternate channel for when those two teams overlap?

I'm on university of Cincy main campus so I have their basic direct TV package.

Yeah I remember that channel it was channel 99 when I had time Warner

League pass is a great product when it works, but their customer service is so far beyond atrocious I can't even believe it. I'm fearing the day I have to actually cancel it. It may require stoppage of payment on my credit card. For now I'm good with it though.

But you're right, the blackout rules are pretty clear and I doubt they'll give you a refund. But you can at least try. I'm hoping that the new TV deal starts to get around this by loosening or removing blackouts. The NBA is one of the most progressive leagues when it comes to their digital properties, so it's possible. If anyone will be the first, it'll be them.

But yeah, @gourimoko probably has some IP re routing tactics that you can use to pretty easily get around it.

You could look into this:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

I was using this when I was in Canada for a bit to get access to HBO Go and Netflix. It routes your internet access through an out of market server, so you wouldn't be blacked out anymore.

The only thing I would say is that some services, like Hulu, can recognize this and deny you access. I have no idea of League Pass would be like this, but it's worth a shot if you have already invested $200.

I am not an expert about league pass, however if you are being blacked-out due to a geographic reason (too close?) than you might as well trick them and make them think like you are from a different place (even outside of USA).

I would recommend a great free chrome extension which I use it myself for Pandora.com and much more.

Hola Better Internet is the extension - This will allow you to fake your location, if this is the reason for the blackout than I believe it might help you.

Lp blackouts are due to national tv coverage, not location. If Cavs fan: do not buy.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."