1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser. You can find the style chooser on the bottom left of the website. - Ben

Avery Johnson, Fired

Discussion in 'Around The NBA' started by jhard, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jhard

jhard Situational Stopper

Kind of surprised.

Wonder if this is Deron's doing.
    Maybe Sloan could be his replacement :chuckles:

2 people like this.
  2. Cratylus

Cratylus Brunette Connoisseur

Not sure if Donald Sloan is ready for a coaching gig yet... although he is looking for work! ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    11 people like this.
  3. I.K.W.T

I.K.W.T Season Ticket Holder

Let's all be thankful our organization isn't THAT inept.

1 person likes this.
  4. MGMT

MGMT Preview Team

Well that escalated quickly.

2 people like this.
  5. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

Brooklyn is much better than a .500 team. Most of the fans seem to be happy about his firing, just as Lakers fans were about Brown's firing.

6. Biw

Biw The One Who Knocks

Two fan bases elated over a BLACK coach being fired? Why am I not surprised?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    14 people like this.
  7. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

To be fair, most of the best coaches are white. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Soar

Soar Hall-of-Famer

Avery Johnson Jr. ‏@itsaveryjohnson
    I'm sorry are best players couldn't make open shots. Yeah that's my dads fault totally...

lol

The expectations were way to high for this team. We didn't even have a losing record.... Didn't even give my dad a full season. #OUTRAGE

Avery Johnson Jr. ‏@itsaveryjohnson
    This is a fuxking Outrage. My dad is a great coach, he just got coach of the month and they Fire him. #Smh. Completely new team he had.

6 people like this.
  9. TyGuy

TyGuy With the Left hand!

Am I the only one that didn't think brooklyn was very good? They have been assy mcgee for quite some time now and the only additions they made besides moving to Brooklyn was adding two aging wing players and a knucklehead.

Sent from my ass using tapatalk 2

2 people like this.
  10. bushwick_bill

bushwick_bill Sixth Man

With the sucess of the Knicks and lack thereof in Brooklyn this should come as no surprise... There is a lot of pressure for this Nets team to win right now...

11. castor777

castor777 In the Rotation

They can try and go into "win now" mode all they want, but I highly doubt they're going to find a replacement coach of Avery's caliber. They went through a rough period in December, I get it. But 8 of their next 10 games are very winnable, they'll be well above .500 by the middle of January, and you chose to fire the October & November Coach Of The Month? It might not come as a surprise, but the Nets are in for a very rude awakening if they think they did the right thing.

12. FiveThous

FiveThous Redeux

They should hire Mike Brown

2 people like this.
  13. Cavatt

Cavatt NBA Starter

I'd be scared to death to fire a coach in the nba if there wasn't a guy I wanted without a job. Talk about a small pool of talent

1 person likes this.
  14. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

Really, though, sometimes all teams need is a change of voice in the locker room to turn it around. Johnson is one of many coaches in the NBA who has a habit of wearing on his players after a few seasons.

15. Jon

Jon ~

Sure looks like Deron Williams has finished off his second coach. Maybe he'll get his first one back? It worked for Kobe ... or better yet, skip the precedent and grab the guy. Prokorhov just has back a dump truck full of $$$$ up to PJ's house.

Anyway, Avery got reamed pretty bad here. Teams don't become great on defense over night. Well, at least not ones with a front court featuring Brook Lopez and Kris Humphries. They can focus on offense and having fun ... and go nowhere in playoffs.

16. Biw

Biw The One Who Knocks

It's his fucking voice.

8 people like this.
  17. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

avery johnson isn't a great coach, but the interim coach is even worse. nets fans better hope prok opens the checkbook for phil, and soon. the lakers were obv a much better opportunity from a title-chances standpoint, but i'm sure the nets would give phil more money and power.

it's an interesting situation. generally, it'd be an appealing destination because they play in a world class city and have an owner with a complete disregard for money that wants a title. problem is people set expectations too high and brooklyn simply can't reach them, so the coach will frequently be on the hot seat. on top of that, they have damn near no flexibility for years which is an even greater problem considering that money isn't even tied up in a legit superstar.

18. Obawan12

Obawan12 Team Statistician

Classic example of a coach getting canned for not living up to unrealistic expectations. Deron williams is overrated and they simply don't have good defensive players in the front court.

19. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

And word is now (Sportscenter) that Phil Jackson is their top target. I wonder if Phil would take on the job.

20. blommen

blommen In the Rotation

I don't think Phil would touch such a poorly assembled team for all the moolah in the world.

1 person likes this.