• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Best Book for Cavs History since 1970?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daniel89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in need of a good Cavs book for my daily train ride. Already browsed the net a bit, but I rather rely on a book recommendation of RCF members!

The book should cover the Cavs history since 1970 in a detailed fashion, that means that the recently published 150 page-book is not gonna cut it...
What book I found intriguing was "Cavs from Fitch to Fratello" from 1994. I'm more interested in the 70s and 80s anyway, so that publication date doesn't bother me. The amount of 280 pages also seems right to me and the author has a good reputation. Maybe someone here has read that book.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Fitch to Fratello is a solid book and one that as a Cavs fan you should find interesting.

Another one that is good but not about the Cavaliers is "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto. The book is about the ABA. It has a lot of great little known nuggets in there about the league and it's players. If you enjoy basketball history and like the 1960s-70s era that's a good one.

Fitch to Fratello is a solid book and one that as a Cavs fan you should find interesting.

Another one that is good but not about the Cavaliers is "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto. The book is about the ABA. It has a lot of great little known nuggets in there about the league and it's players. If you enjoy basketball history and like the 1960s-70s era that's a good one.

Thanks, will definitely pick Fitch to Fratello up then... I'll also keep in mind Loose Balls, sounds interesting

Pluto and Windhorst wrote a book called "The Franchise". I was more about Lebron, but contained some stories from when Gund bought the team in the early 80s and a lot of the Paxson era.

Pluto and Windhorst wrote a book called "The Franchise". I was more about Lebron, but contained some stories from when Gund bought the team in the early 80s and a lot of the Paxson era.

I'm actually just about to start reading this tonight believe it or not. Thoughts on it?

I'm actually just about to start reading this tonight believe it or not. Thoughts on it?
Certainly worth a read. Windy and Pluto are always thorough writers. Almost reads more like a mini LeBron biography, but gives a lot of behind the scenes stuff. The stuff about LeBrons first shoe deal was fascinating. Also, certainly paints Paxson is a more sympathetic light.

The Franchise not only covered nuggets from the mid/late 90s to about 2007, it switched back and forth between perspectives of the Cleveland Cavaliers (and their fall to the abyss in 2003) and LeBron James (and his rise to historical levels), chapter to chapter.

If you want to find out what our team tried to do with their franchise and why LeBron was (permanently) attached to that era before becoming a Cav, that's the book to understand why winning (and selling) was so important.

On the other hand, as said (weeks ago) by our knowledgeable members, From Fitch to Fratello covers the era you want to read about, to about the time we moved to the Gund Arena. And it covers jewels, tidbits, "did-you-knows", and virtually anything you want to know about the roller coaster that was the Cavaliers. And it will give you everything you want. It's the Franchise that connects that gap the best after 1994.

This might seem a little dumb for a suggestion, but if you have a smartphone for the ride, you could try reading a little of the Cleveland Cavaliers' Wikipedia page. They might be fan created, but they share a little bit of the (somewhat accurate) information.

Hope I was able to help a little...

The Franchise not only covered nuggets from the mid/late 90s to about 2007, it switched back and forth between perspectives of the Cleveland Cavaliers (and their fall to the abyss in 2003) and LeBron James (and his rise to historical levels), chapter to chapter.

If you want to find out what our team tried to do with their franchise and why LeBron was (permanently) attached to that era before becoming a Cav, that's the book to understand why winning (and selling) was so important.

On the other hand, as said (weeks ago) by our knowledgeable members, From Fitch to Fratello covers the era you want to read about, to about the time we moved to the Gund Arena. And it covers jewels, tidbits, "did-you-knows", and virtually anything you want to know about the roller coaster that was the Cavaliers. And it will give you everything you want. It's the Franchise that connects that gap the best after 1994.

This might seem a little dumb for a suggestion, but if you have a smartphone for the ride, you could try reading a little of the Cleveland Cavaliers' Wikipedia page. They might be fan created, but they share a little bit of the (somewhat accurate) information.

Hope I was able to help a little...

Started reading it two days ago. Already half way through.

Just finished the chapter on the LeBron lottery and subsequent draft in "The Franchise." Really insightful read so far. Finding the information RE: Pat Riley, The Heat and LeBron's "rivlary" with D Wade rather interesting now that we have the privilege of hindsight and what would eventually occur. Thought the emphasis on LeBron being likened to MJ, Magic etc. based on the fact that he had to almost single-handedly lift a franchise from the obscurities of dirt and rubble was rather ironic, given the circumstances that would eventuate a mere 12 or so months after it was published!

So far, a fantastic read overall. And a very appropriate and inspiring lead-up to the season - perfect timing!

Last edited:
This book continues to fascinate me. With the luxury of foresight, the last paragraph in the image below was quite telling for the time it was published. You sometimes forget that the 'conspiracy theories' of the planned 'big 3' began long before The Decision happened:

image.jpg

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."