• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Boardwalk Empire

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MGMT

All-Star
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this show - I checked the first three pages of off-topic and didn't see anything germane to this masterpiece; and, if there is, I apologize for missing it and hopefully I don't get my head chopped off for a mistake.

Anyway, season 3 of this series begins Sunday at 9 ET on HBO.

Do we have a fanbase here? Steve Buscemi may be odd-looking but he's a pertty good actor and IMO there's an outstanding cast of characters. Moreover, I like how they're portraying Al Capone in it thus far - not a glamorous criminal like a movie would do. He started off pretty small in the series as a driver and isn't even really a boss yet. Don't know where season 3 is heading but it looks like it's going to be pretty intense. Arnold Roethstine is my favorite character in the series I think. I'm finishing season 2 tonight - I think I'm in for a huge treat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rG7Yu9NmThU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 3 will focus on the rise of Al Capone, if I'm not mistaken.

Was very surprised with the way Season 2 ended. Just really unexpected, but I guess there was no other way around that.
The wardrobe is phenomenal.

Thus far, my favorite characters are Chalky While and Richard Harrow. Just really like how Richard was written into the show, and he turns out to be so bad ass.

I don't want to spoil season 2 for others, who haven't seen it, so I'll just leave it at that.

I love Richard thus far - I kept yelling "NO NO NO NO" when he went out the woods and put his gun in his mouth. One of my favorite scenes of the series is when Angela was sketching him and he explained the nature of his relationship with his sister - how he suddenly felt nothing towards her. Eerie scene but very deep. And it is hard to dislike Chalky. Moreover, I went from really liking Nelson, to being creeped out by him with the belt self-mutilation scene, to a strong disdain with how he has handled his child situation wth Lucy. I hated her at first, then began to feel bad for her for what she went through during the in-house imprisonment while with-child.

I thought Sopranos was the best series HBO had ever offered with incredible script writing, character detail and flat out excellent acting; however, this makes a very strong case, in my opinion. I promised my mom I wouldn't watch the last couple episodes of season 2 without her so it should be a good couple hours.

Was very surprised with the way Season 2 ended. Just really unexpected, but I guess there was no other way around that.
The wardrobe is phenomenal.

Thus far, my favorite characters are Chalky While and Richard Harrow. Just really like how Richard was written into the show, and he turns out to be so bad ass.

I don't want to spoil season 2 for others, who haven't seen it, so I'll just leave it at that.

Richard Harrow is a fantastic character. He steals every scene he's in.

Chalky is awesome, but he'll always be Omar to me.

I hope they improve the Nelson Van Alden character. Michael Shannon may be the best actor on the show, and his character is interesting. But they've already taken him in a few different directions, so it's tough to understand what they want to do with him. That character just seems a bit inconsistent.

Overall, this is one of the best shows on TV right now, and I'm excited to see where Season 3 goes. I did not see Season 2 going the direction it did, but I like that they are taking risks with the story. I think it has worked out so far.

I promised my mom I wouldn't watch the last couple episodes of season 2 without her so it should be a good couple hours.

That should make for some interesting moments.

Do you say that because of the way I stated it? lol, I understand I'm kind of setting myself up for it when I say "a couple good hours" and "my mom" in the sentence. Or do you say that because of the nature of what I'm in for with the show? I'm not getting defensive or anything I'm just curious, I made myself laugh aloud when I re-read my previous post.

Do you say that because of the way I stated it? lol, I understand I'm kind of setting myself up for it when I say "a couple good hours" and "my mom" in the sentence. Or do you say that because of the nature of what I'm in for with the show? I'm not getting defensive or anything I'm just curious, I made myself laugh aloud when I re-read my previous post.

Oh no.... You'll see. :chuckles:

Last edited:
Best show on TV by far.

I'm really not in to the Nelson character at all. I thought he was done for, but I guess not.

I don't want to spoil it for you because you haven't seen the last couple episodes, but I'm betting he turns more toward the criminal element and does a pretty big 180 from his puritan attitude. You already see he's a sinner, he's riding the slippery slope, I just bet that the slope snowballs downhill rapidly

Best show on TV by far.

I'm really not in to the Nelson character at all. I thought he was done for, but I guess not.

I don't want to spoil it for you because you haven't seen the last couple episodes, but I'm betting he turns more toward the criminal element and does a pretty big 180 from his puritan attitude. You already see he's a sinner, he's riding the slippery slope, I just bet that the slope snowballs downhill rapidly

This is the best show on TV. I've followed since season 1 (which I thought was great but apparently too slow for some) and it's just a top notch quality show. The set pieces rival any movie out there and it's kept up the same quality throughout the show.

With that said, very skeptical of this season with Jimmy gone but I have high hopes.

Just finished the last two episodes of season two. Disturbing, dark and a bit sad at the same time. I wasn't really surprised with the outcome of the end; however I am confused regarding manny and nuck. He asked if roethstine was okay with Manny going yet... well those that have seen it know how it goes down.

I think the ending was a big roll of the dice for the story but like Arnold said: nobody likes a long shot more than a gambler.

Cant wait for Sunday.

Great show. Now that Breaking Bad is gone, this one helps hold me over til Game of Thrones starts.

Wifey and I just rewatched season 2. This show really is amazing.

I assumed this would happen eventually, as its a character that really existed in history and we all (mostly) know his story if you're a fan of this genre. I'm glad its happening in season 3, should make it exciting. I hope they don't stray from the show being about Nucky Thompson (Nucky Johnson) though as I love the job Steve Buscemi is doing. That man is a phenomenal actor. Look at him in this role then watch Grown Ups and you can really see his range.

Those are my 2 favorite characters also. Any time Chalky does the Omar wink (from The Wire) I get all excited :D

Not sure where they're going with them since they are fictional characters, but I'm especially anxious to see how Richard Harrow handles what happened in the last few episodes of season 2.

I assumed this would happen eventually, as its a character that really existed in history and we all (mostly) know his story if you're a fan of this genre. I'm glad its happening in season 3, should make it exciting. I hope they don't stray from the show being about Nucky Thompson (Nucky Johnson) though as I love the job Steve Buscemi is doing. That man is a phenomenal actor. Look at him in this role then watch Grown Ups and you can really see his range.

Those are my 2 favorite characters also. Any time Chalky does the Omar wink (from The Wire) I get all excited :D

Not sure where they're going with them since they are fictional characters, but I'm especially anxious to see how Richard Harrow handles what happened in the last few episodes of season 2.

Chalky will always be Chalky, to me. As I've only watched 1 episode of "The Wire". This doesn't go over well with a lot of people, as I am an HBO series enthusiast. I have HBOGO, and I can't really get into "The Wire" for some reason. Sorry, WYN.

Great show. Now that Breaking Bad is gone, this one helps hold me over til Game of Thrones starts.

Wifey and I just rewatched season 2. This show really is amazing.

No dude. Game of Thrones has nothing on this. Breaking bad? Really?

Just no man...

No dude. Game of Thrones has nothing on this. Breaking bad? Really?

Just no man...

As much as I like Boardwalk Empire, I'm with theSTEREO. I have Mad Men and Breaking Bad at the top of the TV ranks, with Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones just a notch below. The one issue I have with Boardwalk Empire is that they have so many storylines going that don't seem to really matter to the overall story arc (Van Alden's baby with Nucky's old girlfriend, for example). It's still a fantastic show, but they just need to tighten up a bit. The end of season 2 was very strong and I hope they keep taking chances with the storytelling.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."