• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Bob Myers Warriors GM and Jerry West/Arn Tellem protege

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RchfldCavRaised

Locker Room Presence
Staff member
Reaction score
Im watching the GSW vs LAL Summer League game, and I just want to be the first to say this...

The Golden State Warriors are going to be good.

I'm not talking about good in the future, Im talking about good this season. They are one healthy season away from being this seasons Indiana Pacers of last year, and the Memphis Grizzlies of the year before.

Myers is building a team with the kind of versatility, depth of talent and a real good mix of young guys with limitless potential and sure fire workman dependable type of potential. When you pair a limitless prospect, with a dependable prospect and put the right kind of veteran in front of both of them for them both to learn from and learn how to be professional from... you set yourself up for a culture change of sustainable success. Im sure of this after watching them trade the productive knucklehead Dorell Wright and clear way for Barnes and Green to develop and give his production.

(As I type this, Draymond Green pulls up from like 30 feet at the top of the circle)

You will have Thompson and Curry learning ways to approach the game from a guy in Jarret Jack who is just good enough at both of their weaknesses, to help both along with his professional approach to the game. Jenkins has the build and game to emulate a guy like Jack perfectly as well down the road. Interesting to see how he will turn out as a pro.

You have a All-Star in David Lee who has done it all with hustle and working work, who will have guys like Harrison Barnes, the aforementioned Green... and it looks like Jeremy Tyler will develop into more of a faceup big man with his skill and athleticsm.

Then you have Bogut with his new protege in Festus Ezeli

(WOW... Jeremy Tyler is going to PAYOFF for the calculated risk, pretty soon here. His feel for the game is ridiculous for a 20 yr old big man. I just watched him do a 360 hanging hook shot/layup and his body control was crazy)

Speaking of Tyler, and wrapping this lovefest up, I see a GM who is not afraid to take risks on guys like Tyler and understands how to establish and foster a culture of winning. I see an organization who understood that this young GM/UCLA champion/Agent Protege would be a revolutionary young executive if he only had the right kind of GM from the basketball side to look over his shoulder and help him shore up his basketball executive skills, and they secured that by adding Jerry West high up in the ranks.

I was watching them closely this past season, and I saw a team that was playing some good basketball before they made the correct decision to trade Monte and shut down and rebuild Curry's ankle. Most notably, their comeback win over Miami last winter was one where I watched Mark Jackson outcoach Spoelstra with like 10% of the talent. I have faith in the #2 all time assist guy growing and developing as a coach

They are my team to watch this season.

Who will break down the defense and get to the rim; Curry, Thompson, Barnes? None of them are great athletes or ball handlers and are very perimeter oriented.

Good team? Sure, but they're a long ways away from winning a playoff series as you suggest.

......and remember, it's just summer league and most of these guys won't see a minute in the NBA this season.

The key is Bogut. They are built to play inside out as their guard can only really attack from a close out. They need him to play 80 games this year and be a top5 post threat. The west at the high post and the three shooters spaced out make sense

If I were the Warriors, I'd be looking at getting one more big man. You pretty much know that Bogut will go down for at least a week or two sometime in the year.

Hell, almost somebody like Andy Varejao would suit their needs about perfect. Too bad they can't have him. :chuckles:

Who will break down the defense and get to the rim; Curry, Thompson, Barnes? None of them are great athletes or ball handlers and are very perimeter oriented.

Good team? Sure, but they're a long ways away from winning a playoff series as you suggest.

......and remember, it's just summer league and most of these guys won't see a minute in the NBA this season.

You'd be surprised at how well Curry can do it when healthy. Not a blow by kind of penetrator. Much more a change of pace guy, but he gets where he wants on the court.

And reports from Thompson's play at the USA practices were that he is shoring up his handling and behind Kyrie, he looked like the next strongest select player.

If I were the Warriors, I'd be looking at getting one more big man. You pretty much know that Bogut will go down for at least a week or two sometime in the year.

Hell, almost somebody like Andy Varejao would suit their needs about perfect. Too bad they can't have him. :chuckles:

Ive been reading that they are trying to get Carl Landry. If they get him, they will make the playoffs as long as everyone is healthy

People only think about Steph's insane shooting ability, but he's actually a pretty sneaky penetration as well.

OK, that last part sounded a little off...

I'm looking forward to the revisionists talking about how they wanted Klay Thompson at #4 instead of Tristan all along... Welcome to the Golden State bandwagon, Rich!

I'm looking forward to the revisionists talking about how they wanted Klay Thompson at #4 instead of Tristan all along... Welcome to the Golden State bandwagon, Rich!

They had me when they hired Mark Jackson. One of my top 10 players of all time. Love the way he managed a game, even without being able to shoot from 10 feet out.

No, they will suck because they are the Warriors.

No, they will suck because they are the Warriors.

The Warriors have more championships than we do, and every other team in the league who has yet to win one...

I thought Klay Thompson looked really good in summer league. Don't really follow stats in these games but see what there games looks like and he had that look where the game was a bit too easy for him out there.

On the other hand I'd be worried about Curry's health, seems very fragile and I don't see them doing anything noteworthy unless he is 100% this year (His PER and health are earily similar to Irving :( )

Rchfld, prepare for your Jeremy Tyler man-crush to triple:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/avCUOoCWVJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rchfld, prepare for your Jeremy Tyler man-crush to triple:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/avCUOoCWVJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anthony Randolph who???

Did you see his versatility? Slow Jams to Elvis to George Strait.

I can see him rebounding, leading the break, throwing an alley oop to himself from half court and soaring above the rim to finish it... as soon as he unleashes his potential.

Curry definitely has a nice pace and hesitation to his game. I like the fits all around especially if they can get a healthy Bogut anchoring the defense.

It'll become evident, at some point, that their biggest missing piece is getting a guy who can clear everything out, put his head down, and get to the rim when things tighten up later in games, which is why I wasn't surprised when it seemed like Waiters was their target before we snagged him at 4. Barnes fits well with his size on the wing and spot-up ability, but he doesn't quite add a new dynamic to their offense.

Nice young team, will definitely make noise. Not sure about their ceiling though. They need Barnes to re-channel the inner Kobe I used to think he had and that he desperately wishes he had and start putting the ball on the floor. I haven't seen any indication he can do that against NBA players though, but I suppose it's not completely out of the question.

At the very least, you have a team with a super efficient Curry, a super efficient Bogut(when healthy..applies to Curry as well) and two big time outside gunners in Thompson and Barnes. Not bad.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."