• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Browns Free Agency 2015

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randolphkeys

I'm Just Second-hand Strus
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here is the list of impending free agents organized by cap hit in 2014:

DT Ahtyba Rubin - 8.175 million Unrestricted FA

WR Miles Austin - 2.00 million Unrestricted FA

OLB Jabaal Sheard - 1.62 million Unrestricted FA

TE Jordan Cameron - 1.55 million Unrestricted FA

CB Buster Skrine - 1.48 million Unrestricted FA

QB Brian Hoyer - 1.25 million Unrestricted FA

SS/ST Johnson Bademosi - $570,834 Restricted FA

FS Tashaun Gipson - $570,500 Restricted FA

DT Ishmaa'ily Kitchen - $570,000 Restricted FA

ILB Craig Robertson - $570,000 Early Restricted FA

FS/ST Jim Leonhard - $570,000 Unrestricted FA

P Spencer Lanning - $495,000 Early Restricted FA

ST/WR Marlon Moore - $435,882 Unrestricted FA

DT/ST Sione Fua - $417,353 Unrestricted FA

Others: G Ryan Seymour, TE Andre Smith, RB/ST Shaun Draughn, DE/ST Scott Solomon, LB/ST Zac Diles, WR Jermaine Saffold, LB Solomon Elimimian, G Matt Cleveland, CB Emanuel Davis, G Jake Anderson.

Keep (if possible):

Sheard
Gipson
Robertson
Austin (bring him back on a 1 yr. deal?)

I'm fine with losing the rest, to be honest. Replaceable players.

I'm certainly not paying much for Cameron. Injury prone, poor blocker, ineffective all season.

I'd like to retain Austin, Gipson, Bademosi, Kitchen, Robertson, Lanning

I'd like Cameron back at a reasonable price though. The rest I'm ok with moving on from.

B6IL1qFCYAAqhTd.png

DT Ahtyba Rubin - 8.175 million Unrestricted FA
WR Miles Austin - 2.00 million Unrestricted FA
OLB Jabaal Sheard - 1.62 million Unrestricted FA

*TAGGED - TE Jordan Cameron - 1.55 million Unrestricted FA
CB Buster Skrine - 1.48 million Unrestricted FA
QB Brian Hoyer - 1.25 million Unrestricted FA

SS/ST Johnson Bademosi - $570,834 Restricted FA
FS Tashaun Gipson - $570,500 Restricted FA
DT Ish Kitchen - $570,000 Restricted FA
ILB Craig Robertson - $570,000 Early Restricted FA

*RETIRED: FS/ST Jim Leonhard - $570,000 Unrestricted FA
P Spencer Lanning - $495,000 Early Restricted FA
ST/WR Marlon Moore - $435,882 Unrestricted FA
DT/ST Sione Fua - $417,353 Unrestricted FA

I'd like to keep Skrine as well. At the very least as a safety net in case Gilbert can't get his act together. At worst he's a serviceable slot corner.

I like Skrine, but they have Gilbert and Desir waiting in the wings.

They may have found one of the best slot corners in the league with K'Waun Williams, which makes a larger free agent contract to Skrine a unnecessary investment IMO.

@AZ_ is it your opinion that they tag Cameron, or did I miss something? Just wondering; haven't seen anything about Cameron.

2014 Contributions from Key Free agents:

Gipson - 52 total tackles including 28 solo, one forced fumble and a team-leading 6 interceptions for 158 yards and one touchdown, 8 total passes defensed. Only played 11 games but established himself as one of the top defensive players on the team. Likely to be given a franchise tag.

Robertson - 99 tackles including 57 solo, also made two interceptions for 30 yards with 4 passes defensed, proving he has improved in coverage. Regular starter and only 26, seems to be a free agency priority at inside linebacker.

Bademosi - Primarily a special teams ace who recorded 12 tackles, 5 solo. Only 24 years old and received recognition for a possible Pro Bowl birth for special teams contributions. He is looking at a pay raise, but should be affordable.

Skrine - Played all 16 games with 67 tackles, 5 solo, with 18 passes defensed and 4 interceptions for 34 yards. He received a lot of flack from fans for several years but he seemed to make strides as a cornerback in a year where rule changes made the position much more scrutinized and in many cases scapegoated. Only 25 years old and actually received some Pro Bowl recognition. I hope he returns, but we all know he might get a monster offer after his big season. Gilbert is his replacement in waiting.

Kitchen - Holy shit, this guy ended up tied for 11th on the team in total tackles with 43 tackles, 13 solo, which topped defensive linemen. Didn't record a sack, but nose tackles are the fire hydrant all the other dogs piss on while other guys get the glory. Played in 13 games with 3 starts and pretty much took Rubin's job. Local guy from Youngstown and Kent State, I have no problem rewarding this guy with a nice contract.

Rubin - 28 total tackles, 14 solo and 14 assisted, one sack as starting DT in 11 games, rotated in on 15 games. I think everyone will agree this was a down year after success earlier in his career. He likely didn't earn 8.1 million this season, but there is always a market for defensive line depth, especially a guy who has the ability to play nose tackle. He is now 28 years old and should be in his prime.

Austin - 2nd on the team with 47 receptions for 568 yards and two touchdowns. Injured week 13-17, 30 years old. Good production for the price considering he was a very late add to the roster. He surprised many with his problematic legs holding up. Still, showed he is a very inconsistent possession receiver. Very replaceable.

Cameron - Only played 10 games, missed a game with a shoulder injury and five with a concussion. 24 receptions for 424 yards and two touchdowns. Teams will focus on his unquestioned ability to create plays in the passing game, but those concussions are starting to add up for a physically demanding position on a run-first team. I'd like to see him replaced if the cost gets too high.

Sheard - Played in all 16 games with 5 starts, still only 25 years old. 44 total tackles with 25 solo, 19 assisted, two sacks. He has been forced in to a human yo-yo with positions due to scheme changes. It might be best for him to get paid by a team that runs a 4-3.

Lanning - He's a good punter, but he is still just the punter. Learn how to hold for place kickers, ya dumb bastard. He will likely be back cheap or not back at all. No reason to break the bank.

Brian Hoyer - Yeah... I think this has been discussed...

Everyone has a value, i don't want to overpay any of them and obviously most anyone has some value.

Keep:
DT Ahtyba Rubin
WR Miles Austin - 1 year deal
OLB Jabaal Sheard
CB Buster Skrine
SS/ST Johnson Bademosi - one of the few bright spots on our special teams
FS Tashaun Gipson
P Spencer Lanning - with such an inept offense at times, Lanning seemed the only thing keeping the ball away from our end zone
ILB Craig Robertson - might ask for too much after a career year but for the right price he seems to be coming alive

TE Jordan Cameron - i think cameron is gonna want way too much but will be sad to see him go
QB Brian Hoyer - I like him but he wont stay with Manziel here and i doubt you let a first round pick go so soon
DE/ST Scott Solomon - looked good against the panthers

@AZ_ is it your opinion that they tag Cameron, or did I miss something? Just wondering; haven't seen anything about Cameron.

Just my opinion.

Tight end tag is low enough to where they'll keep him here on a short-term, reduced salary deal ($7.035M last year) for what he can provide when healthy.

A few free agents at key positions of need:

Wide Receivers:

Torrey Smith BAL, Dane Sanzenbacher CIN, Dez Bryant DAL, Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker DEN,
Jarrett Boykin and Randall Cobb GB, Hakeem Nicks and Reggie Wayne IND, Cecil Shorts JAX, Robert Meachem NO, Andre Holmes Denarius Moore and Rod Streater OAK, Jeremy Maclin PHI, Darrius Heyward-Bey PIT, Eddie Royal SD, Jermaine Kearse SEA, Michael Crabtree SF, Kenny Britt STL,

Tight Ends:

Rob Housler ARI, Owen Daniels BAL, Dante Rosario CHI, Jermaine Gresham CIN, Jacob Tamme and Julius Thomas DEN, Charles Clay MIA, Daniel Fells Giants, Matt Spaeth PIT, Zach Miller and Tony Moeaki SEA, Lance Kendricks STL

Defensive Lineman experienced in 3-4:

Cedric Thornton PHI, Karl Klug TEN, Legar Douzable and Damon Harrison NYJ, Jarvis Jenkins WAS, Lawrence Guy BAL, Dan Williams ARI, Fili Moala IND, and the memory of what Terrence Cody used to be for the Ravens.

I don't know if he'd actually be there for us, but I would love to get Jeremy Maclin. He would seem to fit this offense very well.

You know some NFL player should have this name. Watsa Up. I mean i came into this thread and the first thing I saw was "Suh" and got confused. Oh boy do the Browns have issues.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."