• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Jim O'Neil is Frisco's Problem at DC

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phills14

Cleveland Sports Fan
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Pettine was hired last night as Head Coach of the Browns. Now he has to fill in his staff. The most important hire in my opinion will be his offensive coordinator. Let's talk about the options

Alex Van Pelt: RB coach of the Packers
He was rumored to be Pettine's 1st choice for OC but Green Bay will not allow him to interview and subsequently promoted him to QB Coach.

Gary Kubiak: Former HC of the Texans
Kubiak's name has been tossed around by fans but no hard evidence that he'll be a candidate. There are no apparent ties to Pettine at all. I think he's the best guy for the job because as a play caller he has an excellent history of success.

Cam Cameron: OC for the LSU Tigers
Cameron was the OC for Baltimore when Pettine was there. He's a down the field type guy who looks for a big strong armed QB. Similar philosophy to Norv Turner. If Manziel is the pick, I'm not sure Cameron is the best choice.

Others?

Re: Browns New Offensive Coordinator

Go all out for Kubiak. Former HC gives you a guy to bounce ideas off of, Kubiak was successful for a period of time so he knows what success looks like, and he's an all time great OC.

Kubiak is the best choice on that list. Wasn't he rumored to be in tight with Quinn and not Pettine though?

Cam Cameron is disgusting. You need to keep him the hell away from the Browns.

Jim tressel

I hate to say it, but the franchise is not in the negotiating position of power they enjoyed last time. Beggers may not enjoy the luxury of choosers.

Mike Pettine was hired last night as Head Coach of the Browns. Now he has to fill in his staff. The most important hire in my opinion will be his offensive coordinator. Let's talk about the options

Alex Van Pelt: RB coach of the Packers
He was rumored to be Pettine's 1st choice for OC but Green Bay will not allow him to interview and subsequently promoted him to QB Coach.

Gary Kubiak: Former HC of the Texans
Kubiak's name has been tossed around by fans but no hard evidence that he'll be a candidate. There are no apparent ties to Pettine at all. I think he's the best guy for the job because as a play caller he has an excellent history of success.

Cam Cameron: OC for the LSU Tigers
Cameron was the OC for Baltimore when Pettine was there. He's a down the field type guy who looks for a big strong armed QB. Similar philosophy to Norv Turner. If Manziel is the pick, I'm not sure Cameron is the best choice.

Others?

You can eliminate Van Pelt, he is staying in Green Bay and was promoted to QB coach.

I'd throw Kyle Shanahan on the list, just because he should be.

I hate to say it, but the franchise is not in the negotiating position of power they enjoyed last time. Beggers may not enjoy the luxury of choosers.

They haven't had that luxury all offseason, why start now.

Still doesn't mean they should go after Cameron.

Re: Van Pelt- I know he's not a candidate anymore but I wanted to at least put his name down there since by most accounts he was Pettine's 1st choice. As I said, the Packers wouldn't let him interview and gave him the QB job which was a promotion from the RB coach.

Pettine has made it known that he would like to get a former HC on the staff. I doubt he would say this unless he had someone in mind...could be Kubiak. Whether or not he'd have interest in this position, who knows.

I'd trust Kubiak to develop a system to protect our rookie QB and install a nice run game. Ben Tate was said to be a Browns target as well...found some success under Kubiak in HOU.

You can eliminate Van Pelt, he is staying in Green Bay and was promoted to QB coach.

I think that you're right on. While we're putting out speculatory lists, Kyle Shanahan was on Rex's staff while Pettine was there. I have no idea of their relationship, though.

I'd love Shanahan too. Creative mind, was buried under the Mike Shanahan burial party.

Unless, of course, Pettine somehow gets Mike Shanahan to be the OC. But that's beyond a pipe dream.

Rapoport says Browns want to talk to Kubiak and he tied it to our interest in Ben Tate. Same system for him.

@RapSheet: Hear there’s interest in Gary Kubiak for #Browns OC job. Would make sense, given team’s FA love for RB Ben Tate, who’d be in the same system

Grossi thinks Kubiak is the main target. Another guy floated around is Matt Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh is the Bears QB coach but was the Bears OC in the 90s and the Ravens OC from 99-2004. Cavanaugh gave Pettine his NFL break by hiring him as a High School coach to be a video guy for the Ravens.

Here you again with Shanahan and you have no idea what you're talking about. Again, I'll refer you to the rampant cronyism in the Redskins organization. Nobody liked the guy:

Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, son of head coach Mike Shanahan, has not endeared himself to others on the staff and within Redskins Park, according to numerous team sources. According to current and former staff members, Kyle Shanahan has been granted virtual autonomy by Mike Shanahan to guide the team.

Conversations with several people within the organization have revealed a similar perception of Kyle Shanahan as someone who was empowered and enabled by his father, spending an abundance of time in his father's office, given a wide swath of power, and rubbing many people -- players, fellow coaches and members of football operations -- the wrong way. At the same time, Kyle Shanahan has been the most heavily rewarded of the team's assistant coaches, as team sources said the two-year extension Shanahan earned following the playoff run in 2012 will pay him $1.5M in 2014 alone. That's money he's almost certain to collect away from the team, with this regime widely expected to be fired after this season.

With the team in a 3-10 collapse, Robert Griffin III now inactive and the franchise in disarray, the composition of this staff has fallen under criticism, as has the work of the Shanahans in particular, with the lack of experience and pedigree on the offensive side of the ball seen as a particular problem both within the organization and outside it.

“Kyle is the head coach, it's just that no one knows he is,” said one member of the organization. “He gets whatever he wants. And he has no relationship at all with (quarterback Robert Griffin II). So how could it work?”

As a former member of the organization put it: “Kyle bitches about everything, and then his father has to fix it. He bitches about the food in the cafeteria, he bitches about the field, he bitches about the equipment. He complains and then Mike takes care of it. Kyle is a big problem there. He is not well liked.”

Several members of the organization said Kyle Shanahan was a cause of internal strife, surrounding himself with young coaches with inferior experience, and allowing for no checks and balances of outside voices in the offensive coaching rooms.

“This is the NFL, it's not supposed to be a training ground for coaches,” said someone who has worked with Kyle Shanahan in Washington. “It's ridiculous. Look at this staff. It sucks. Mike's best buddy is (longtime Shanahan assistant and current linebackers coach Bob Slowik), and Slowik's son is in his second year out of college and he's on the staff. Everyone on the staff is in his first or second year except for Mike and Kyle and Haslett (defensive coordinator Jim Haslett) and Raheem (Morris, the secondary coach), and everyone knows Raheem is there because he is close with Kyle. Those two go way back.

“Kyle's not that confident, so they set him up with a bunch of yes men rather than have some experienced coaches to push him. It's like Kyle is the pied piper and these kids just follow him around. I mean, Mike has been a head coach for 20 years -- usually a guy like that has a posse he can bring with him. So he's got Bobby Turner (running backs coach) here, and Slowik, and that's it. How does that happen? How does he end up hiring all of his son's buddies?

“What Mike has allowed to happen there, with that staff, there is no excuse for. There are guys on that staff who are just not qualified, and it shows up. Have you seen the quarterback develop? Look at (defensive ends Brian) Orakpo and (Ryan) Kerrigan? Are they progressing or regressing? Are you seeing the offensive lineman they drafted making it to the field?' How many players are getting the kind of NFL coaching you'd expect on that staff?”

The Redskins have had a succession of first-time wide receivers coaches on this staff, and the offensive staff has generally been devoid of experience other than Turner. Most of the offensive staff had less than two years of NFL experience before coming to Washington and even in those cases the two years weren't as actual position coaches, but as offensive assistants and low-level help.

Quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur worked with Kyle Shanahan in Houston and had only two years experience as an “offensive assistant” with the Texans prior to becoming the Redskins QB coach. Similarly, receivers coach Mike McDaniel was a lower-level assistant on the Texans staff before coming to Washington. Tight ends coach Sean McVay's only prior NFL experience to joining Washington came in 2008 as an offensive assistant in Tampa.

“McVay is really the only one of those kids qualified to do what he's doing,” said one member of the organization.

Several members of the Redskins traveling party were perturbed, when, following a win at Dallas on Thanksgiving 2012, Kyle Shanahan and several of his assistants were hollering loudly, crowing and alluding to Cowboys' coach Jason Garrett's job security on the team bus (hooting how they might get him fired) while heading to the airport after the win. The Redskins were just 5-6 themselves at the time and, according to sources, one member of the staff actually told them to “shut up” and diffused the staff.

Furthermore, Kyle Shanahan has long had a very strained relationship with Griffin, sources said, with one staff member saying Shanahan treats Griffin like, “a JV quarterback.”

“Kyle knows ball, but he is just so petty and he picks fights and holds grudges over small stuff,” the source said. “He's a mountain out of a molehill guy, and he's got entitlement syndrome. That's why we ended up hiring all of his close friends and buddies, so no one can challenge him. But it makes you worse in the long run, because there is no accountability. Ultimately, it's his father's fault for pacifying his son.”

Kyle Shanahan had a good run as a member of Gary Kubiak's staff in Houston -- Kubiak was a longtime assistant to Mike Shanahan -- and with the Redskins crumbling, he could end up finding a spot under Kubiak elsewhere if Washington owner Dan Snyder makes major changes as expected (Kubiak was fired as Texans coach last week). But it has long been clear to many people in various corridors of the Redskins' organization that the pair of Mike Shanahan, with his son running the offense, in Washington, has been a doomed combination. Especially within the construct of the lack of other strong voices on the offensive side of the ball, and that nepotism has served to hinder, rather than help, the growth of this franchise and the development of RGIII.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

Sounds like a guy I don't want within 100 yards of my team, no? Enough of the Shanahan talk. Only in Cleveland....

Here you again with Shanahan and you have no idea what you're talking about. Again, I'll refer you to the rampant cronyism in the Redskins organization. Nobody liked the guy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

Sounds like a guy I don't want within 100 yards of my team, no? Enough of the Shanahan talk. Only in Cleveland....

Color me surprised that a member of the Redskins organization, while engaged in a large scale war with the Shanahan's, would speak ill of him.

Guy gets results almost everywhere he's been up until last season. He can work under Kubiak again as the QB coach if necessary, but he's obviously a valuable asset to have and the statistics back up that thinking.

Daniel Snyder's media plant won't be coming to his birthday party, but I can't imagine he's the first coach to run through that organization who was disappointed in ownerships constant corner-cutting techniques.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."