1. RCF Will Be In Flux For a few. I'm going as fast as I can correcting issues. We should be good to go by Monday. Sorry you have to deal with this bland board until then.

Browns hire Ray Horton as DC

Discussion in 'Browns Talk' started by Omar The Horse, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Omar The Horse

Omar The Horse Well-Known Member

Browns to hire Ray Horton as DC

Ray Horton and Todd Bowles will both find new homes as defensive coordinators, according to league sources.

Horton, not expected to be retained by new Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, will run the defense of the Cleveland Browns under coach Rob Chudzinski.

Bowles, who took over the Philadelphia defense when Juan Castillo was fired during the season, will replace Horton in Arizona.

Horton had a year left on his contract and his future with the Cardinals was in question.

Asked Thursday afternoon if he would keep Horton as defensive coordinator, Arians declined to discuss the prospect.

"Right now it's way too early in the process," Arians said. "Obviously, I know Ray. I've got a history with Ray. But all those things would be way down the road. Guys are under contract. You can't really comment on staff members at this point in time."

Horton was defensive backs coach with the Steelers when Arians was offensive coordinator there.

The Eagles went just 1-9 with Bowles as defensive coordinator, giving up an average of 31.9 points per game.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8857899/ray-horton-cleveland-browns-todd-bowles-arizona-cardinals

3 people like this.
  2. Shakalu M.D.

Shakalu M.D. Its Happening!!!!

Well here's some good news to lessen the Lombardi hate. Norv and Horton is arguably the best duo of coordinators in football.

2 people like this.
  3. Triplethreat

Triplethreat Preview Team

Del Rio, McCoy.

But I love the way our staff is shaping up. The question now is, what can Chud do with these resources he is acquiring.

4. Pyro

Pyro Banned

This is the best coaching staff Cleveland has ever seen.

5. Lee

Lee Golden Shower Member

Paul Brown says go fuck your self. :chuckles:

1 person likes this.
  6. Omar The Horse

Omar The Horse Well-Known Member

@AdamSchefter: Browns officially hired former Cardinals DC Ray Horton as their DC.

It's official.

7. col63onel

col63onel Joe Thomas Fan Club

To paraphrase JFK,

"Berea is seeing the most coaching talent with the exception of when Paul Brown coached alone"

8. mofire

mofire New Member

What a great coaching staff we have managed to put together.

9. 3 Ball...GOT IT

3 Ball...GOT IT Season Ticket Holder

Soooooooo 3-4 or 4-3?

10. Sly

Sly New Member

Obviously the draft and free agency is coming up, but I'm a little concerned that we don't have the personnel to run the zone blitz. In some ways more so than if we went to a two-gap. I thought with Pagano you would be able to work out some kind of power 1-gap. I have difficulties imagining how this will work without some real playmakers that are good at a lot of different things. We don't have a ball-hawk safety that's dangerous to throw near, and we don't have a bunch of guys who are good at getting after the Qb. You have to think that TJ Ward could step up and really lay some hits if he's given more of a leash. Just tough to envision with the current players. On the positive side of this, if you see this defense every day in practice, then it's not quite as surprising when you play the Steelers. Then again, the Steelers should be a master of it when they play us.

11. Lee

Lee Golden Shower Member

3.5-3.5

12. Amherstcavsfan

Amherstcavsfan Duh

At least the shitty players we draft can have some of the best coaching available.

19 people like this.
  13. mofire

mofire New Member

I thought Jarvis Jones was in play before when were playing the 4-3. Now with the switch to the 3-4 hybrid he moves near the top of my list as long as his medical condition isn't to alarming.

14. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

great video watch thr last 10 minutes

[video]http://www.azcardinals.com/videos-photos/videos/Ron-Wolfley-Sits-Down-With-Ray-Horton/5763a7fd-9827-4a02-b194-666f751c3495[/video]

3 people like this.
  15. mofire

mofire New Member

very good find

16. Soda

Soda Bania'd

Damontre Moore is my top choice for this draft. Then Millner. Moore can play up or down.

1 person likes this.
  17. MoFlo

MoFlo Administrator Staff Member

Holy ....:

I'd be ecstatic too for that kind of cash as a DC :chuckles:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    13 people like this.
  18. howler1313

howler1313 Preview Team

Love to see them shelling out the big bucks to get a top coaching staff in place. If only they'd do the same for our GM...

1 person likes this.
  19. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

From the same Arizona reporter:

Just hours after Ray Horton was released from his contract with the Arizona Cardinals, he was hired by the Cleveland Browns as defensive coordinator.

Horton's contract is for four years and $8 million, according to Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin.

It was expected the coach would find work quickly and initial speculation led to Cleveland.

While Bruce Arians was finishing up his introductory press conference as the Cardinals' next head coach, Horton to Cleveland was confirmed first by ESPN's Adam Schefter and then the team.

Horton told de St. Aubin he received a phone call Friday from the Browns to discuss the job with him. He had interviewed with the Browns for their head coaching position earlier in the month and felt it was a good interview.

Horton believes the Browns' defense has a ton of upside and is an extraordinary young team.

Cleveland is assembling a new staff, led by first-time head coach Rob Chudzinski. The Browns have also landed Michael Lombardi as the vice president of player personnel.

Horton is flying to Cleveland Friday night to meet with team officials.

Horton interviewed for the Cardinals' head coaching job, and has been the architect of their defense over the last two seasons. In 2012, Arizona ranked 12th in the league in total defense.

In Arizona he was the defensive coordinator for Ken Whisenhunt, who took a job as the San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator on Thursday.

Horton said he got a phone call from Whisenhunt Thursday night, and his former boss thanked him for his time in Arizona and said maybe they would work together again in the future.

1 person likes this.
  20. Amherstcavsfan

Amherstcavsfan Duh

At that pay rate, I could see him passing on HC jobs if he doesn't see the right one.

Damn...2 million a year to run the defense. Wonder how much Norv got...

1 person likes this.