• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Browns Running Attack

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Soar

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
What happened to it?

Let's look at each game so far.

Game 1: Pittsburgh 192 yards 17th ranked Rush D
Game 2: New Orleans 122 yards 11th ranked RD
Game 3: Baltimore 85 yards 7th ranked RD
Game 4: Tennessee 176 yards 22nd ranked RD
Game 5: Pittsburgh 192 yards 17th ranked RD
Game 6: Jacksonville 69 yards 14th ranked RD
Game 7: Oakland 39 yards 29th ranked RD

Over 120 yards in each of our first 4/5 games. Over 175 yards in 3 of those games. Only 85 yards against Baltimore, but they have the highest ranked rush defense we have faced.

After the second game against Pittsburgh:

Only 69 yards against Jacksonville. Jacksonville has a decent rush defense, but still a considerable drop-off.

Today was rock bottom. Only 39 yards against one of the league's worst at home.

Possible explanations:

1) Alex Mack is actually Bruce Banner and becomes the Hulk on game days. Losing Mack was huge and it would certainly have an impact. But this large?

2) Teams have caught on and have started prepping for the run. Making Hoyer throw the ball more. Our weapons aren't that good. Hoyer isn't exactly Peyton Manning and here we are?

3) We waived starting FB Ray Agnew. He played against Jacksonville but was waived after. Somewhere he is smiling because we looked even worse without him.

4) Chemistry issues? Tate's return has certainly clogged up the back-field. West was inactive for a game. Crowell barely played today. Has the rhythm been disrupted?

What do you think the biggest factors are? How can they be corrected?

I feel like it has to be 1 or 2. While Mack is great, I find it hard to believe he makes THAT much of a difference.

Mack's absence shakes up the entire offensive line. I don't think it's the result of one guy, but the resulting domino effect.

If one guy misses his zone assignment, it appears like the entire play might be blown up. Not to mention, Mack recognized defensive looks, called audibles, and was a strong blocker.

I truly can't put a finger on what else it would be.

I feel like it has to be 1 or 2. While Mack is great, I find it hard to believe he makes THAT much of a difference.

I keep hearing this and I can't understand why.

Mack is an all pro center. One of the best players, if not the best, at his position. His absence not only effects the position he plays, but the two players who line up next to him. Bitonio has looked really good as a rookie but Mack obviously made things a bit easier for him. Without Mack, opposing defenses won't have to game-plan for an all pro center. Their focus can now be more balanced along the line, putting more pressure on guys like Bitonio, who luckily has Joe Thomas on his other side, and Greco, who isn't that good to begin with and has the inconsistent Mitchell Schwartz on his other side.

The center also has to have a certain level of chemistry built with the quarterback. He is responsible for calling line adjustments based on what he sees and what the quarterback needs. Instead of an all pro manning that spot, there was a journeyman with two starts under his belt whom the Browns just activated and plugged in as a starter. Now the Browns can't really find any cohesion along their offensive line and their running game is going nowhere.

Because Hoyer has no accuracy on his deep passes, opposing defenses are stacking 8-9 in the box and daring Hoyer to beat them over the top, which -- without Josh Gordon --is a very tough thing for him to accomplish with any level of consistency. Hoyer was utilizing the play-action beautifully when the running game was productive but it's virtually useless without an effective ground attack.

Mack's loss created a domino effect that has exposed the Browns offensive weaknesses on several levels. The unit must get it together or the Browns offense will continue to struggle.

Last edited:
I'd say it's a combination of 1 and 2 with a little bit of #4. Defenses adjust to what you do and we are seeing that now. The loss of Mack also shook up a stable offensive line and they are learning to adjust themselves.

I just hope the struggles don't continue because we can't afford to put the ball in Hoyer's hands and tell him to win the game every week.

The two most important positions on the line are always LT and C. LT because they protect the QB's backside and almost always get the best pass rusher. C because they make the line calls and spearhead the interior of the line.

The quickest way to disrupt any play, pass or run, is with pressure/penetration up the middle. When it comes to a zone blocking scheme, running backs are reliant upon cutback lanes. Penetration up the middle completely destroys the ability to cutback and allows backside pursuit to run plays down.

Also, the best O-Lineman get to the second level in a hurry, much like the best running backs. If the O-Lineman can't get to the second level, then the LBs are free to roam and make tackles.

Truthfully, I haven't been watching closely enough to know if it's the case, but I would venture to guess there's a lot of penetration occurring in both "A" gaps and therefore many plays never really have the chance to get going.

We also lack any sort of playmakers in the passing game, which means teams simply have to stack the box and shut down the run to essentially win the game.

Just for a random comparison, I looked up how the Steelers faired with Pouncey going down 4 minutes into their first game of the year in 2013.

They ended up with 31 yards on the ground that game.
Game 2: 44 yards
Game 3: 80 yards
Game 4: 77 yards
Game 5: 73 yards.

It wasn't until the 6th game they eclipsed the 100 yard mark. They got better from here on out.

This year they started with a healthy Pouncey and their rushing totals for their first 6 games were:

There are obviously a million other factors at play here. But I think it is fair to conclude that losing a great center can make a difference in the running attack.

Even when Hoyer was completing deeper passes, it never looked sustsinable, as his ball floats on long passes, and he seemingly has to use every ounce of arm strength he has just to drive the ball down field, so it obviously looks hard for him to accurately throw that. It seems like the Jags and Raiders were daring him to beat them down field, and he couldn't.

Mack going down obviously hurts as well, it's a combination.

Mack going down and teams throwing 8 or 9 in the box definitely hurt the running game.

Give McDonald some time to get himself acclimated to the line and we should see a return of productive running.

Nick McDonald should get better with increased play. Hopefully...

On a side note, I'm thrilled the Browns don't have to deal with Pouncey.

Obviously the line needs to gel but...

Does anyone think the issue is our inability to deal with the log jam at running back? All three are good backs. All three run completely different ways. Hard for a line to gel when you're creating a hole that a Crowell can get through because of his speed, but that a dancing Tate or West can't. We aren't hitting holes anymore. We're trying to break everything big, and the fullbacks and tight ends are missing blocks like none other.

I'd rank our RB's in this order - Crowell, Tate, and then West. I don't like the idea of rotating 3 RB's in a game, i think it makes it tough for guys to get in a rhythm. I was shocked that Crowell was the odd man out with only one carry yesterday. Baffling to me...

I still think Tate is the #1, but I'd be giving Crowell more touches than one rushing attempt...

I think another part of the problem that's been overlooked is that the Jags and Raiders are the first two 4-3 defenses we've come up against.

Crowell is going to get phased out unless they're confident he can hold onto the football.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."