• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Browns to bring in Clay Matthews III for a workout...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smooth

Your Writer’s Favorite Writer
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't say I'm impressed with him as a prospect (think he's a 3rd/4th rounder) but...

The Browns didn't schedule a formal meeting at the combine with Matthews, but he said the team plans on flying him to Cleveland for a workout. Matthews said it's a trip he's looking forward to making.

"It's something that, if I'm fortunate enough to play in Cleveland, I would love to and just be able to follow in my dad's footsteps."

http://www.ohioverticals.com/blogs/browns_bulletin/2009/03/matthews-journey-to-nfl-almost-complete/

Interesting to say the least, though..

CMIII is a football player, not a freakish athlete.

He would be a great trade down/2nd round option.

we need lots of linebackers. would love to have him.

I'd take him in the second round... you can't question his loyalty and work ethic, and at this point, you can't even question his speed (4.6 40 time from a guy pushing 250). His family has freak genes.

I'm not the most up-to-date, but I remember reading a few people were really high on Matthews in the late first round. His motor's always going and he's always in the right position to make the play. Could be a nice pass rushing linebacker if we don't get Curry (or even if we do get Curry, we could actually use a couple linebackers).

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Clay-Matthews.php

He's just the type of player we need in Cleveland and I wouldn't have any problem with us taking him in the 2nd round, if he's still there (I personally don't think he will be).

CMIII is a football player, not a freakish athlete.

He would be a great trade down/2nd round option.

He had like 6 career sacks and never started for his college team.

He's pretty much the definition of workout warrior.

Clay is more than likely going to go in the 1st round now. There is a chance he could fall, but alot teams seem to be falling in love with him. He's risen up the charts extremely quickly. I would love to have him at pick 36, depending on what we do at 5. If we take Orakpo at 5, we will not take Clay IMO. We do need lots of LB's, but we can get a starter at another position at 36 if that is the case...think...Mack, Wood, Robinson, Nicks, McCoy, Jennings, etc. Tons of options in the 2nd round with our 2 picks. We need OLB's bad, but in this draft I would be a little disappointed if our first 2 picks our OLB's.

I've said it before, if this guys last name was Johnson and not Matthews, and had the same production in college, we'd all be saying "Who?". But because his dad was good player for the Browns, he must be good.

So the best combine performance among LB's wouldn't have elevated his stock?

I find that hard to believe.

Just because he's a workout warrior doesn't mean he won't fit nicely as some teams 1st or 2nd round pick.

MAthews is a second rounder with late first potential. He's good, but still, with names like Rey and Cushing ahead, he really doesn't get as much attention as he deserves. Mathews was a guy with plenty of 3-4 experience in USC, because they do have some 3-4 formations, so he could be a solid fit here, and be a continuation of the legacy...

I'd take him with the 50th pick.... Before that and its a big risk. There are a ton of LB's in this draft that are going to be studs.

you mean the dolphins or the browns?
Both... both of my teams need LB's Dolphins have Joey but other then that we are weak there. Browns have Jackson and other then that even more weak.

I just hope he's not a roided out freak like Cushing and Rey are...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."