• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Buckeyes charged with failure to monitor

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I was afraid that this was going to happen. Now, it is likely that they will have a bowl ban. They were fine before the new allegations against Jordan Hall, Dan Herron etc. were levied for the banquet and work overpayment business came to light earlier this season.

I believe there's going to be a bowl ban as well. The question is, will be for this year or for next year? Let's hope they do this soon enough so it's this year.

I believe there's going to be a bowl ban as well. The question is, will be for this year or for next year? Let's hope they do this soon enough so it's this year.

I scanned this thread over at scout.com's Buckeye's page and the "higher-ups" seem to believe that OSU is not looking at a bowl ban. I don't know how credible they are or anything, just reporting what those die-hards say. To be clear also, because I didn't know myself, the scholarship ban is 5 total scholarships over the next three years, not 5 scholarships each year over the next three years.

My personal take, a biased one at that, is that it is possible that the NCAA wants to show that they're willing to work with institutions that cooperate when caught for infractions. They hung USC when they caught them (SMC too), but USC and SMC fought them the whole way. If I were in the athletic department of a school that has corruption going on, I would have bolstered my cover-ups in light of those punishments (ala Cam Newton *allegedly*). IF the NCAA handles OSU on a less severe note because they've cooperated and been pro-active, other programs might see that it is better to cut the head off the monster before the corruption gets too intertwined with the institution. Just a thought.

I scanned this thread over at scout.com's Buckeye's page and the "higher-ups" seem to believe that OSU is not looking at a bowl ban. I don't know how credible they are or anything, just reporting what those die-hards say. To be clear also, because I didn't know myself, the scholarship ban is 5 total scholarships over the next three years, not 5 scholarships each year over the next three years.

My personal take, a biased one at that, is that it is possible that the NCAA wants to show that they're willing to work with institutions that cooperate when caught for infractions. They hung USC when they caught them (SMC too), but USC and SMC fought them the whole way. If I were in the athletic department of a school that has corruption going on, I would have bolstered my cover-ups in light of those punishments (ala Cam Newton *allegedly*). IF the NCAA handles OSU on a less severe note because they've cooperated and been pro-active, other programs might see that it is better to cut the head off the monster before the corruption gets too intertwined with the institution. Just a thought.

I hope that you're right. I'm an OSU alum and as big of a homer as you'll find. But, this failure to monitor charge is serious business. OSU has been cooperative with the NCAA. But, the reality is that they should've done a better job in vetting out this banquet and work overpayment business. It would've been far better for this to all have come out before the August hearing instead of dribbling out during the season. It made them look bad. If they're going to get a bowl ban, it would be best for it to be this year obviously. I was surprised about the scholarship reductions though. Usually, schollies are taken away from teams with recruiting violations and not for improper benefits to existing players.

I have been saying this all along, but no one believes the Pudue alumni that OSU will get a one year bowl ban.

That being said, how minor does OSU's violations look now. Both coaches covered things up, but that's where the similarities end. Tresell covered up NCAA violations that I would argue most people don't even find morally wrong. What Paterno did wasn't against NCAA rules (he did "go to his bosses"), but he covered up the most morally sickening crime known to man.

My problem is that OSU might find a harsher penalty for their crime than Penn State simply because Penn State wasnt a NCAA violations. There is really something wrong with how things operate when the cover up of selling of your own jewelry is worse than covering up child molestation, but I have a feeling thats how its going to come down.

I have been saying this all along, but no one believes the Pudue alumni that OSU will get a one year bowl ban.

That being said, how minor does OSU's violations look now. Both coaches covered things up, but that's where the similarities end. Tresell covered up NCAA violations that I would argue most people don't even find morally wrong. What Paterno did wasn't against NCAA rules (he did "go to his bosses"), but he covered up the most morally sickening crime known to man.

My problem is that OSU might find a harsher penalty for their crime than Penn State simply because Penn State wasnt a NCAA violations. There is really something wrong with how things operate when the cover up of selling of your own jewelry is worse than covering up child molestation, but I have a feeling thats how its going to come down.

You were saying this before the stuff with Bobby D came out, and you were wrong.

Only after new allegations did this even become a possibility.

You were saying this before the stuff with Bobby D came out, and you were wrong.

Only after new allegations did this even become a possibility.

I find you stating that only the new allegations made it possible odd. You could agrue that it was probable after the new allegations, but it has always been possible. Since these major infractions come within the 5 year wake of previous major infractions, the death penalty is even possible. Its just not very probable.

I find you stating that only the new allegations made it possible odd. You could agrue that it was probable after the new allegations, but it has always been possible. Since these major infractions come within the 5 year wake of previous major infractions, the death penalty is even possible. Its just not very probable.

They already beat failure to monitor after the first round. It's the second round in which they took this shot.

The OSU case will be a textbook example for why universities will no longer self-report violations.

The SEC schools are sitting down south laughing their collective asses off at how badly the folks up north cheat.

The OSU case will be a textbook example for why universities will no longer self-report violations.

The SEC schools are sitting down south laughing their collective asses off at how badly the folks up north cheat.

Does that include the 200k Auburn paid for its national title...Ermm Cam Newton?

Does that include the 200k Auburn paid for its national title...Ermm Cam Newton?

Damn right it does. If it were OSU, they would have told the NCAA that a booster paid him off or forwarded several emails detailing what happened to God knows who.

SEC to OSU: "You're doing it wrong."

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."