• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Business Suite Software suggestions

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Man Called X

Resident asshole
Reaction score
So, I've been doing everything I keep track of in separate spreadsheets for referrals, frequency of service, etc.

I'd like to automate the process a bit more than it currently is. I'd like to find some software where I could keep customer records/contact details/as well as the ability to keep track of custom stats like my referrals etc. It would be wonderful if the same software suite would be able to sync up with my calendar and be able to do my scheduling as well.

I'm doing this all on spreadsheets and with notebooks by hand for hardcopies but it's a lot of extra time spent writing/typing that I'm sure I could eliminate.

I would prefer open source if it's available, but willing to purchase a software license if it's going to be the only route/beneficial/not cost prohibitive.

So, suggestions?

So, I've been doing everything I keep track of in separate spreadsheets for referrals, frequency of service, etc.

I'd like to automate the process a bit more than it currently is. I'd like to find some software where I could keep customer records/contact details/as well as the ability to keep track of custom stats like my referrals etc. It would be wonderful if the same software suite would be able to sync up with my calendar and be able to do my scheduling as well.

I'm doing this all on spreadsheets and with notebooks by hand for hardcopies but it's a lot of extra time spent writing/typing that I'm sure I could eliminate.

I would prefer open source if it's available, but willing to purchase a software license if it's going to be the only route/beneficial/not cost prohibitive.

So, suggestions?

Sounds like you want a CRM...

Depending upon what you're doing, different solutions will suit your needs differently.

Many CRMs are fully open source, but to use them without cost, you'll likely need to set them up as well as customize them to your needs etc.

However, if you exclude lead generation/tracking/lifecycle, then you can get away with just using a cloud service like Google Apps which will sync you up completely..

Google has spreadsheets, contacts, scheduling, mail, everything.... and it's fairly well tethered together, and it's also cheap for a single person to use. You can then tie that into Wave for your invoicing, payables and receivables, and general light accounting - it syncs with your bank accounts and PayPal (I used to use this when I first got started).

But personally, I'm not a fan of the Google Apps approach - I don't think it works as well as some other folks, but that could be just my personal taste.

Sounds like you want a CRM...

Depending upon what you're doing, different solutions will suit your needs differently.

Many CRMs are fully open source, but to use them without cost, you'll likely need to set them up as well as customize them to your needs etc.

However, if you exclude lead generation/tracking/lifecycle, then you can get away with just using a cloud service like Google Apps which will sync you up completely..

Google has spreadsheets, contacts, scheduling, mail, everything.... and it's fairly well tethered together, and it's also cheap for a single person to use. You can then tie that into Wave for your invoicing, payables and receivables, and general light accounting - it syncs with your bank accounts and PayPal (I used to use this when I first got started).

But personally, I'm not a fan of the Google Apps approach - I don't think it works as well as some other folks, but that could be just my personal taste.

See, I have no need for lead generation or tracking because of the nature of my business. So not an issue to me.

And I hadn't even begun to mess with any financials software either. I've been just keeping track of all that by hand with receipts and then transferring it into a spreadsheet.

Should mention I'm trying to stay away from using Google as I consistently have issues with my connection to it.

See, I have no need for lead generation or tracking because of the nature of my business. So not an issue to me.

And I hadn't even begun to mess with any financials software either. I've been just keeping track of all that by hand with receipts and then transferring it into a spreadsheet.

Should mention I'm trying to stay away from using Google as I consistently have issues with my connection to it.

Issues with connection to Google?

That sounds weird. You might want to change your DNS servers to: 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 (Google's servers)

Issues with connection to Google?

That sounds weird. You might want to change your DNS servers to: 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 (Google's servers)

I use my phone internet from VZW. My DNS servers are set to google servers at the router level. But I can never keep a steady connection with google, have tons of lag/hangups/whatever. God forbid I search something. Sometimes it'll work fine, others, I have to wait 5 minutes for results and another 5-10 minutes to load any link from there. Now if I were just type in the address manually, they will all work fine.

It's the strangest thing and I have no idea what causes it. So I just don't use google often.

I use my phone internet from VZW. My DNS servers are set to google servers at the router level. But I can never keep a steady connection with google, have tons of lag/hangups/whatever. God forbid I search something. Sometimes it'll work fine, others, I have to wait 5 minutes for results and another 5-10 minutes to load any link from there. Now if I were just type in the address manually, they will all work fine.

It's the strangest thing and I have no idea what causes it. So I just don't use google often.

No, I've seen this phenomena before; on T-Mobile's networks when I would tether.

Bing offers similar apps I think, btw...

No, I've seen this phenomena before; on T-Mobile's networks when I would tether.

Bing offers similar apps I think, btw...

Usually if I'm having the problem with google, I have the same problem with Bing.

Example, my friends list never works on my Xbox One. It's just something I've learned to live with until I've got the extra to get legitimate internet again.

Freshbooks is pretty great for invoicing, expense tracking, and all your reports like profit and loss, client aging, rate of pay, etc. Its geared a little more toward creative services, but it sounds like your business is service based enough that it might work for you.

Usually if I'm having the problem with google, I have the same problem with Bing.

Example, my friends list never works on my Xbox One. It's just something I've learned to live with until I've got the extra to get legitimate internet again.

Business expense the second your business officially launches.

I have a buddy that has a lawn maintenance business and he uses SalesForce? I've never heard of it but I googled it and it looks pretty solid.

Business expense the second your business officially launches.
Not necessarily. If you have a home office, it only works one of two ways, or so my accountant has told me.

First, you have to have a dedicated space or room in your home that you use for nothing but business use (a second bedroom, a corner of your living room, etc). Then you figure out the square footage. Once you do you can either:

1) Figure out what percentage of your total square footage of your place your office is, and then you can write off that percent of your relevant home expenses (rent, utilities, Internet, etc). So if your office is 10x10 and you live in a 1000 square foot apartment, you can write off 10% of your utilities.

2) there is a new "safe harbor" rule from the IRS that you can just write off a straight dollar amount per square foot. I think it's like $5. So for that same home office you can just write off $500 without calculating any expenses.

Ask your accountant about it though.

Not necessarily. If you have a home office, it only works one of two ways, or so my accountant has told me.

First, you have to have a dedicated space or room in your home that you use for nothing but business use (a second bedroom, a corner of your living room, etc). Then you figure out the square footage. Once you do you can either:

1) Figure out what percentage of your total square footage of your place your office is, and then you can write off that percent of your relevant home expenses (rent, utilities, Internet, etc). So if your office is 10x10 and you live in a 1000 square foot apartment, you can write off 10% of your utilities.

2) there is a new "safe harbor" rule from the IRS that you can just write off a straight dollar amount per square foot. I think it's like $5. So for that same home office you can just write off $500 without calculating any expenses.

Ask your accountant about it though.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression it had to be a separate room, couldn't just be the corner of my living room.

I might be wrong but I was under the impression it had to be a separate room, couldn't just be the corner of my living room.
I'd still ask a tax pro, but as I understood it, it was just a defined area used solely for that purpose.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."