1. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

BYU Suspends starting SF for the Rest of the Year

Discussion in 'OSU Basketball' started by Phills14, Mar 2, 2011.

?

Is BYU Right in Suspending Him?

1. Yes, That's the Rule and I'm glad a Big Time Program Stood up and Enforced the Rules

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Dumb Rule, Dumb Decision, Completely Unrealistic

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Dumb Rule but had to Follow It

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

Brandon Davies of BYU was suspended for violating the honor code. Right move by BYU?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760

2. AMC

AMC Mmhmm.

Did I really just read that drinking coffee or tea is a violation?

3. DonGilbert

DonGilbert Guido

He was arrested by Campus police at Carribou Coffee ordering a Vente, clearly violating the Schools honor code.

4. bob2the2nd

bob2the2nd member 32

i would guess he got drunk/high and banged a whole butt load of chicks and one of the girls regretted it and knew how to get back at him... just a guess.

5. Chardon

Chardon Hall of Farmer

Can we just agree that people who hang out at StarBucks/Carribou coffee are douches?

1 person likes this.
  6. The Voice

The Voice Best in the World

Let me know what he did before I call it dumb. And don't tell me he violated the honor code. Tell me what part of it was violated.

7. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

That Tom Cruise is one crazy leader they have there...

8. Maximus

Maximus BANNED Staff Member

Davies knocked up his girlfriend by the way...

1 person likes this.
  9. RonG

RonG All for one

You skewed your poll... The kid new the rules new the code and made a choice. He is being held accountable, I don't care what people say about him being raised by a Mormon family, and that there may have been a ton of pressure on him to go to BYU and that maybe he didn't have a whole lot of choice... maybe he violated the rules to get out to get a transfer. No matter what if you know the rules and agree to accept them then you understand the what will happen when you break them.

I know most of you won't agree with that, but being a former Marine that is the way military service was. I didn't agree with a lot of the bullshit rules, but I knew to get the future I wanted I had to accept the rules follow them or break them and suffer the consequences .

It would be a whole different story if they implemented the rules with out anyone knowing or half way through.

5 people like this.
  10. RonG

RonG All for one

I wasn't allowed to finish my Senior year at my private Catholic highshcool for the same reason, and the girl didn't even go to our school. They had removed females who got preggers, so i expected it to happen when I got my ex knocked up.

11. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

The premise of the poll is that he knew the rules and this honor code. Many of the rules on this honor code seem outdated in today's society. I want to know where people stand...

either
    1. I'm glad the university has the balls to stand up and say there is an infraction and we will punish the kid, his team and the university because of it.
    2. BYU is backwards and the kid shouldn't be suspended for the year
    3. It's a rule, abiet a bad one, and they still have to follow it.

12. Scholar

Scholar Sports Archaeologist

I can't see how I can fairly answer this poll without knowing the exact rule he broke and what he did to break it. Then, I can decide if it was fair or not. Not everything is black and white.

13. DougHeil

DougHeil The LeFraud Interaction

The rules are bullshit. Period. Mormon or not. Bullshit.

Use clean language
    • Respect others
    • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse
    • Participate regularly in church services

Respect others? Isn't that a manner of opinion? Who's opinion counts?

No tea or coffee? What kind of bullshit religion is this anyway?

What does "regular" church actually mean? Each week? Every two weeks? I could claim that going once per month on a regular basis is regular.

My respect for BYU just took a major, major hit.

14. Scholar

Scholar Sports Archaeologist

Doug, that's the thing. Many of the bulleted items are rather nebulous.

Use clean language - What words are included? What if you say "damn" or "shit" once? Should you be kicked off campus?

Be honest & Respect others - What if your opinion was asked about something like someone's outfit, their looks, a college project, anything that would be important enough that it might upset someone if you didn't like it. But, in fact you don't. If you tell them they look good or their project is great, you are in fact breaking the "be honest" rule. If you tell them they look terrible or their project is really poorly done, it might be taken as disrespectful. Thus, violating a different rule. I know this might sound trite. But, rules like this allow those who make the rules to administer them however they see fit. Not always even handed.

Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code - That's one of my favorites. Think about it. If you didn't help to stop another student from breaking a rule, you might well find yourself out the door too. If you don't like some of the rules. Taking any action or discussing how some of the rules are wrong could be considered a violation of this rule. If taken to an extreme, it could almost be considered cult like.

1 person likes this.
  15. DougHeil

If I were the parent of a kid who got ousted under these types of rules, I'd be suing the school as soon as possible.

Did this kid get suspended from playing ball and from school because he had a cup of tea?

16. RonG

RonG All for one

Well look at that Doug just swung his liberal stick. To funny... and I am pretty sure BYU doesn't care what outsiders thing about their religon....Baptist don't believe in dancing and .. here is Baylor's code of conduct:

http://www.baylor.edu/truett/index.php?id=70964

17. RonG

RonG All for one

Doug its a private school ... what are you going to sue over ? It's not like they don't make you sign the code of conduct... not to mention its a PRIVATE school much like a private club they don't have to let any in and they can set their own rules.

18. RonG

RonG All for one

Read carefully it is spelled out in the first paragraph:

http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2010-2011ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php#HCOfficeInvovement

Good luck with that law suit ... lol that is iron clad.

3 people like this.
  19. DougHeil

What's your point Ron? Just because they are private and have stupid rules doesn't mean it's right. And just because some 17 year old kid signed some huge document, doesn't mean he actually read it, and certainly any fine print that went with it. I'd venture to say that many of these kids were forced to go to this silly school by Parents who are way over the top in their beliefs. It's a damn shame that this kid AND team are now screwed because one of their players might have drank a cup of tea.

One of my cousins is Mormon. The wife doesn't and won't and cannot work away from home... per religion. So don't think I have stuff against Mormons. I simply don't agree with their damn silly and moronic and stupid ways.

1 person likes this.
  20. RonG

RonG All for one

According to Max he knocked up his gf, and my point is its a private school and they can set what ever rule they want to. They take zero federal or state funding so they dont have to deal with those limitations. You don't have to agree or like their rules Doug, it isn't your religion it isn't your believes. You do however have to respect their right to practice what ever stupid religion they want... its a cornerstone of the bill of rights, one of the very reasons you are able to sit here and bitch and complain.

2 people like this.