• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Car Advice

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Squared

Don't just stare at it..
Reaction score
I need some help figuring out whats wrong with my car. I know this isnt really the right website to be asking these kind of questions but i figured there has to be at least one person here can help me with this problem.

So as im driving home from work Friday my car starts slowing down and wont let me accelerate. After about 2 seconds it goes right back to normal. I look at my gauges and notice my gas is low but there is still a good amount of space between the e and the line. I drive to the nearest gas station which is like a half mile away. As im sitting at the light across from the gas station my car shuts off. I take the keys out of the ignition then put them back in and start the car up. I drive straight to the gas station and fill up. I drive home which takes like 20 mins and the car seems fine. I dont drive the car again til saturday evening. It starts up fine. I drive about 2 mins away to my friends and it seems fine. I crash there for the night and leave around 11am the next day. The car was fine again on the way home. I dont drive the car again for the rest of the day. I go start it up this morning and immediately it starts revving the engine on its own. I look at the guages and the rpm gage keeps going up between 1 and 2 as it revs. I shut it off. I wait a few seconds then go to start it again. Nothing happens, no sound, no light, nothing.

So thats where im at. Im hoping someone here can give me some advice on what they think is wrong.

No mechanic, but maybe fuel pump. You have gas but it's not communicating properly to the engine.

My two cents. Possibly sensors.How old is the car

No mechanic, but maybe fuel pump. You have gas but it's not communicating properly to the engine.

My two cents. Possibly sensors.How old is the car
Its a 2001 Chevy Cavalier.

I'd see @Shakalu M.D. for a great deal on a new or used cream puff today!

Better hurry! This deal can't last! You can't afford to NOT to do this deal...

It sounds like either the voltage regulator or the power control module.

Hope it's not your transmission. My car once did between 1 rpm - 2 rpm while I was at a stop light. A couple weeks later, the transmission was blown.

It sounds like either the voltage regulator or the power control module.

Hopefully it's not the PCM because you'll have to take that to a dealer and it'll cost you a grand.

I'm having the same issue (in kind) with one of my cars. Basically, if I don't run it every 16-24 hours I have to jump it. I've done a few aftermarket installations on it so I'm sure that might have something to do with it.

I tried starting it around 6 when i got home from work and nothing happened. The lights in the car weren't on and the headlights wouldnt turn on. I go back out at 730 and still the same result. I call my friend to come help me jump it around 8. Before hooking up anything, i try to start it again and it starts but its doing that revving thing again and everytime it revs, the lights inside flicker. My friend gave me a jump anyways and that did absolutely nothing to help.

completely dead battery or transmission.

Hopefully it's not the PCM because you'll have to take that to a dealer and it'll cost you a grand.

I'm having the same issue (in kind) with one of my cars. Basically, if I don't run it every 16-24 hours I have to jump it. I've done a few aftermarket installations on it so I'm sure that might have something to do with it.

You've got a parasitic battery drain. If you've done a bunch of aftermarket stuff, that's probably why. Pretty easy to figure it out with a multimeter. Just pull fuses until you find the one that causes the drain to go away.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."