• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Casual vs Hardcore Sports Fan

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ajz20

Draft Guru
Reaction score
I am very interested in having a discussion of what people think the difference is between the two, and what category the majority of the population falls under.

1. I tend to think that many of us on RCF assume most people are hardcore fans, when they fall under the casual category.
I think NFL and College Football has many more hardcore fans then the other sports (excluding historic teams as the Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, Red Sox)
I do think that some of the NBA franchises are gaining more hard core fans such as the cavs in the past 12 years, but I am curious to get the take of the rest of the board.

I think this is a very useful discussion when it comes to debates about attendance and fan support.

IMO, I think you need a third tier in there, purely based on my own experience.

Tier 1: Hardcore fans

This is me as a Cavs/NBA fan. I can tell you most of the Cavs historical roster, can rattle off the top 9-12 players of every team in the league, tell you the players' play styles, strengths and weaknesses, do the same thing with each team, pay a couple grand each year on season tickets, have League Pass, and play in two fantasy leagues and Fan Duel most nights.

(On second thought, I think I have a problem...)

Tier 2: Invested fans

This is me as an Indians / Browns fan. I follow each team, watch basically every game, but I couldn't tell you anything about more than 1/3 of the league with any kind of detail. I'll go to a couple games a year between both. If I miss a game, I won't go back to catch up with it. (Whereas if I miss a Cavs game, I'll watch it a day or two later)

Tier 3: Casual Fan

This is, like, my dad. Doesn't watch on a regular basis, but when we are good he'll watch the important games. Might even go to a game or two. Might buy a T Shirt. Can leave a game for a quarter of the action and not feel like he missed much. But is excited for the city when they are doing well.

This is me as a Cavs/NBA fan. I can tell you most of the Cavs historical roster, can rattle off the top 9-12 players of every team in the league, tell you the players' play styles, strengths and weaknesses, do the same thing with each team, pay a couple grand each year on season tickets, have League Pass, and play in two fantasy leagues and Fan Duel most nights.

This is me as an Indians / Browns fan. I follow each team, watch basically every game, but I couldn't tell you anything about more than 1/3 of the league with any kind of detail. I'll go to a couple games a year between both. If I miss a game, I won't go back to catch up with it. (Whereas if I miss a Cavs game, I'll watch it a day or two later)

This is, like, my dad. Doesn't watch on a regular basis, but when we are good he'll watch the important games. Might even go to a game or two. Might buy a T Shirt. Can leave a game for a quarter of the action and not feel like he missed much. But is excited for the city when they are doing well.

I consider myself in Tier 1 with the Cavs and Browns and somewhat OSU Football. Now, I'm not going to say that I'm as versed as you in basketball (you're a really good poster), but I pay attention to more than a Tier 2 guy. Unfortunately, can't say the same about the Indians, although I do see myself in Tier 2 there.

Delete. Double post.

I would agree, Tier 1 for Cavs, and borderline Tier 1/2 for Browns and OSU. I think if you are getting on a message board and posting about a team, you most likely are in tier 2. I would say my understanding of basketball and basketball rules, cap, etc is the highest of the 3 teams I follow. I could talk basic cap in the NFL but that is about it.

Pelicans, Kings, Lakers top 12.

GO

Great post. Would you say the majority of fans are tier 3?

Tier 1 - Hardcore - Browns/Buckeyes - I will somehow find a way to make sure I watch every game. I have watched them on my phone at weddings, stay later at hotels/different cities to watch the game. No matter where I am, I will find a way to watch it. I feel hardcore fans will try and find a way to not miss a single game (certain circumstances can come into play) know a ton about the team and have been invested (not stealing your Tier 2 Stereo) in them in forever. Own a lot of gear. Possibly even cried/been in fights over the team. Would dump your girlfriend to hold Zeke's hand. Hardcore fan.

Tier 2 - Casual - Cavs/Indians - Will most likely not miss every game but not pissed if I do. Like going to games. Own some gear. Decent with team history/current. Technically the Cavs are 1.5, instead of 2. But for me, the Cavs aren't on the Browns/Buckeyes level, so put them here.

Tier 3 - Timing fan - Anything USA - Anytime a US National team is playing, will rep the shit out of them until they come back again (i.e US Soccer).

I'm a hardcore fairweather fan.

Cavs- Somewhere between the invested to hardcore area. I'm not super emotional about the games, but I enjoy watching and am knowledgeable of the league. A lot of my knowledge on non-Cavs teams has to do with fantasy basketball though. As the Cavs get better and better, I'm actually getting less and less emotionally invested but still love the game.

Browns- I truly hate this franchise. I watch about 6-8 games a year and used to watch all 16. I really just can't stand the way they do things.

Indians- I flat out DGAF about this team anymore.

I don't spend any money on merchandise for any of these teams, but will go to 2-3 Cavs games a year if they're good.

Tier 1: Indians, Cavaliers, Ohio State Football
Tier 2: Ohio State Basketball
Tier 2.5: Browns

I really do love the Browns, but Jesus they've worn me down so much over the years that I just can't bring myself to watch them that much right now. I'll still probably watch ten games a year, but the Buckeyes have been giving me my football fix for years now.

I'd fall in tier 1 for the Browns
Tier 1.5 for OSU football
Tier 2 for Cavs/Indians

I used to be Tier 1 for both OSU football and the Indians. Never been a tier I Cavs fans. Not because I don't love the Cavs, but I have never really enjoyed watching a basketball game where I have no rooting interest. I can always do that with football. I even go to about 10 HS games a year, just because I love watching football.

I consider myself a casual fan

I consider myself a casual fan
So do you only watch games when the team is good? Do you become more invested based on how good the team plays? Are you willing to spend money on tickets only if the team is performing? Also do you think the majority of fans are more like you then the hardcore fan?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."