• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs by the numbers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

David.

Radical Centrist
Reaction score
I'm a stats guy, I know I cherrypick threads for statistical improvements. Figured it'd be a good idea to consolidate interesting numbers and improvements/regressions.

Some interesting ones that I've pulled:

OFFENSE:

• Our offensive rating is consistently around 4th.
  • 13th in 3pt%, and we're 22nd in attempts.. Maybe we should focus more on the longball.

• Climbed to 11th in the league in 2pt fg's via assist, whereas we were in the bottom 5 after the 0-assist-kyrie game.. 28th in 3pt fg's via assist and we're shooting 13th best.. If we could create those spot up 3 situations like we all thought we would be able to before the start of the season, our offense would be fucking ridiculous.

• 25th in average distance per fg. We take a LOT of long 2's.

DEFENSE:

• Defensive rating has climbed from 29th to where it sits today, 14th. That is an unspeakable improvement in 6 games... I don't have a reference to show our advanced metrics per a given set of games, but I wish I did.

• 13th in creating turnovers.. Don't have a number for where we sat 6 games ago, but this is pretty big.

Cavs winning in free throws across the board..

• The team is 5th in the league in freethrows per fga, and give up the LEAST amount of free throws per field goal attempt. This is how we're getting our efficiency, seeing as we're 8th in the league in 2ptfg% and 13th in 3pt fg%.

A nice little graph to show you our margin of victory by game.

spvX5AY.png

Last edited:
And Dion continues to have:
  • the worst VORP on the team
  • the worst OBPM of all the rotation players ( his defense is almost acceptable)
  • takes the highest percentage of long 2 point shots of all the rotation players
  • has the worst FG% of all the rotation players
And if he keeps this up all season, it will start to be statistically significant for his carreer

Last 6 games, ORtg 112.4, DRtg 96.6, eFG% .549

All 3 are 3rd best in the league over each team's last 6 games. We are also best in the league in opponents PPG over the last 6 at 90.7. You can find this kind of thing at stats.nba.com

Last edited:
jesus.

5th best Drtg since the rocky 1-3 start.. Thats over the last 11 games. Never, ever would hav thought this was the case, or even possible with this team.

Lol, check out our first quarter stats. 1.5 times as efficient as SECOND PLACE in the league. We literally play 3 times as well as the 5th best 1st quarter team. Another way to look at this is that we play 30 times as well as the average team in the first quarter.

8hidDas.png

Our average net rating over the last 7 1st quarters is goddamn +37. How do we sustain that over an entire game and end up winning by 34 points a game?

Last edited:
And Dion continues to have:
  • the worst VORP on the team
  • the worst OBPM of all the rotation players ( his defense is almost acceptable)
  • takes the highest percentage of long 2 point shots of all the rotation players
  • has the worst FG% of all the rotation players
And if he keeps this up all season, it will start to be statistically significant for his carreer

somebody posted this article (http://nyloncalculus.com/2014/12/06...ge/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) on twitter. they look into a lot of stats:

Dion Waiters was 2 of 8 from the floor in Toronto Friday night. He’s now 22 of 67 shooting since November 19. Within that 22 of 67 mark is a 1 of 16 performance on three-pointers. He’s a disappointing 41 percent on two-pointers, an astonishing 6 percent on three-pointers.

In his last four outings, Waiters has a combined plus minus of -46 in games Cleveland won by 32 points. That means the Cavs were +78 with him on the bench. Since November 19, Waiters has a combined plus minus of -39 in games where Cleveland is up 58 on the scoreboard.

i realize that +/- isn't the be-all end-all but my goodness...

Our average net rating over the last 7 1st quarters is goddamn +37. How do we sustain that over an entire game and end up winning by 34 points a game?

play the starters 48 minutes?

And this is with us not running any profound offense

we're still holding the two man game between Love and Mr. 2 Rings for postseason time, hardly run it at all

we're still holding the two man game between Love and Mr. 2 Rings for postseason time, hardly run it at all

I don't know who started thet rumor that the Cavs are saving the Lbj/Love pick and roll for the post season, but that's not how things work. Team's don't save effective plays for the playoffs.

People used to say that the Mike Brown was saving Lebron's post game for the playoffs. Turns out that all that it meant was that was that overly optimistic fans often hope for things that never come.

I don't know who started thet rumor that the Cavs are saving the Lbj/Love pick and roll for the post season, but that's not how things work. Team's don't save effective plays for the playoffs.

People used to say that the Mike Brown was saving Lebron's post game for the playoffs. Turns out that all that it meant was that was that overly optimistic fans often hope for things that never come.

Still I don't think blatt is the kind of guy who just misses the obvious potential of it, it seems more likely he doesn't want to use that play as a crutch and is focusing on other things for now. Not saving it for the playoffs just focusing on other things right now.

^ or blatt realizes that Love does a fantastic job of spacing the floor when they run the pick and roll for other players. With this roster you only get that spacing running the pick and roll with Love if we have gone small because Andy or Tristan can't provide that kind of spacing.

Waiters has been so unbelievably bad that we invented a new scale to judge his performances. We have put on kiddy gloves and make sure we document each and every incredibly rare instance of good play. It's like cheering for little Timmy in a biddy basketball game.

jesus.

5th best Drtg since the rocky 1-3 start.. Thats over the last 11 games. Never, ever would hav thought this was the case, or even possible with this team.

Lol, check out our first quarter stats. 1.5 times as efficient as SECOND PLACE in the league. We literally play 3 times as well as the 5th best 1st quarter team. Another way to look at this is that we play 30 times as well as the average team in the first quarter.

8hidDas.png

Aside from the obvious that all the starters are out there and fresh to boot, I also think it's no coincidence the we run the most sets and stick to Blatt's offense in the first quarter. In addition, it can't be overstated that the first quarter offense seems to look for Love on the block, on pick and pops--if the first quarter offense is the type of offense we run (with the starters) all game long when it's playoffs time, we're going to be one hell of a difficult out.

Last edited:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11998589/cleveland-cavaliers-rounding-form-nba

The groundwork for the Cavaliers' winning streak was actually laid during the four-game losing streak that preceded it. While the offense continued to struggle with defining roles during that stretch, cracking 1.0 points per possession just once in the four losses, the defense was showing signs of progress. The first seven games of the season saw the Cavaliers ranked among the league's worst defenses on a per-possession basis, but they have allowed opponents to exceed their season average for offensive rating just three times in the past 11 games.

Cleveland's season-long defensive rating has been improving for nearly a month, to the point where the Cavaliers now rank 15th during the course of the season and sixth in the league in the past 10 games, per NBA.com/Stats.​

insider_CavsD_md_576x324.jpg

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/week/6

Follow-up to that stuff we said about LeBron scoring 25 points as the most telling Cavs barometer: Is their magic number actually 70? According to the latest NBA.com player-tracking data, Cleveland is 5-0 when The King makes 70 passes or more ... and 6-7 when he has 69 or fewer.​

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."