1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Cavs inquired on Love, Aldridge and Gasols?

Discussion in 'Trades, Free Agency, & the Draft' started by JMcCurry08, Dec 24, 2012.

1. JMcCurry08

JMcCurry08 NBA Starter

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/12/...e.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like Like x 34
  2. Jack Brickman

Jack Brickman Preview Team

Everything there makes sense except inquiring about Pau Gasol.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

So back up, a trade of Varejao for PJIII, Jeremy Lamb, and the TOR 2013 1st has now officially been discussed? Before, it was only speculation on boards such as RCF, but this article is making it sound like it's happened now. Also, why no mention of Perkins? Would we not receive him back? If so, even better! More playing time for the Cavs' young guys and more cap flexibility.

4. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

Using Varejao as the centerpiece of a Love deal and expecting anything but an instant no doesn't make much sense either.

Also, is Lloyd not the Cavs glorified mouthpiece? IIRC it became evident around draft time that he just reports whatever BS the Cavs organization feeds him. Might be someone else but I'm pretty sure it was him...

• Like Like x 3
  5. NorthCoastBias

NorthCoastBias All-Star

Lloyd's article mentioned that the Thunder don't really have any interest in trading for Varejao.

6. Chris

Chris Welcome to the Future

That's too bad for them.

7. Chris

[video=youtube;CWILhrSzw5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWILhrSzw5o[/video]

If this were any other city, I'd say it's gonna happen and it's gonna be amazing. The fact that it is Cleveland gives me doubt...but I still think Chris Grant sees the potential there and LeBron really will consider coming back even if we don't add another big name via trade.

8. Len

Len Situational Stopper

Dude if we get Kevin Love and Lebron, it's a Wrap. Top PF in the League and Top SF, to pair with Kyrie and Dion. Come on now. Seems to good to be true.

9. Lee

Lee Established Since 2005

Just like if you got a 2 time mvp pg, the 2nd best sg in the history of the game and the best center in the game?

• Like Like x 7
  10. Chris

I wouldn't call it a wrap but we'd instantly be title favorites, probably.

Nash is 1000 years old and Kobe isn't far behind him, so I don't think the LAL comparison is too valid.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

ya man i mean it hasn't even been half a season and 2/3 of those players haven't been injured the entire time or anything. that was def a failed experiment.

also, if the cavs were somehow able to get love, it is unlikely dion would be on this team. but of course that wouldn't matter anyway if they ended up signing lbj too.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  12. Chris

So the Cavs are trying to acquire a Love/Aldridge type of player (be it caliber wise or position wise). To me, it seems the smart thing to do would be to aggressively pursue such a target by packaging Varejao/Waiters/A draft pick, or something of that sort. I doubt that's enough to get Love :chuckles: But I'd start with that. I wouldn't give up our draft pick even though it's the most valuable one...because you'd want to draft a guy like Muhammad and slide him into the 2 spot.

Then of course you're doing all of this in preparation for LeBron, who couldn't resist the "I'm the hero come home!" story and come riding in on a white horse to "lead" the team to multiple titles.

I don't think the Cavs have a package that could get a player like Aldridge or Love without surrendering our own draft picks though, so I'm not sure I'm interested. I'd almost just rather go ahead with what we have in that case, draft a few more impact players between now and 2014, and hope James comes back (I know, 99% of you claim you don't want that).

13. MirORich

MirORich All-Star

Plenty of time to inquire on Love at the deadline(depending on how the Wolves are record wise) and before the draft. Pekovic is going to get paid big money and Kahn is such a wild card, you never know.

14. CardiacCavs

CardiacCavs A Dream of Spring

Interesting...very interesting. I'm not sure what kind of packages Memphis or Portland would want from us.

15. Len

Len Situational Stopper

We wont be able to pry Love/LA/Or Gasol from their current teams this year. I would like to see it, I just am not sure it is plausible.

Also, if we aren't including our pick this year then none of those teams are biting.

16. randymoss1881

randymoss1881 Situational Stopper

Here we go lets let lebron reuin the franchise again. So lets say we are dumb enough to build a team for that peice of shit guy and start wooing him during free agancy. What the hell do we do when him and bosh opt out and both go join D12 on the lakers or he can go team up with howard and bring in another star cause LA has a ton of cap. So we are going under the impression that this is his home and he would love to come back, last time we though that we were burning stuff on tv. And the over played card of him being friend with kyrie and TT is overblown. The dude befriends anyone and everyone that comes into the league he just tries to get people to like him.

Lets just build the team around kyrie and what we got and stop hoping he would chose us even if he opts out.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CardiacCavs

CardiacCavs A Dream of Spring

So I tried to look up the contract situations of each player to see if any of them were coming down to the end of their deal.

Aldridge is on a 5 year 67.5 mil deal that makes him an unrestricted FA in 2015.

Marc Gasol is in the 2nd year of a 4 year 57 mil deal that would make him an unrestricted FA in 2015

Love is a 4 year 60 mil deal that makes him unrestricted in 2016.

So none of them are nearing the end of their contracts so that eliminated the possibility of their teams trading them to avoid paying the max or something similar. Or feeling that they are going to leave and trying to get something for them.

Also found this bleacher report (yes bleacher report, keep that in mind) article when I was looking for that info.

The comments are more entertaining then the article. :chuckles: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...the-cleveland-cavaliers-could-land-kevin-love

And here is an article I found that was posted on Minnesota's ESPN subsection. Nothing really new here, it was posted 10 days ago.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  18. Chris

Nobody said anything about banking on him returning. Why close the door, though?

• Like Like x 1
  19. CavsFanJapan

CavsFanJapan US NAVY, RETIRED

The inquiry about Love has got to be Uncle Drew trying to get Uncle Wes and building the team back up. That is all I have to say about that.

• Like Like x 5
  20. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

If (BIG If!), Kahn was somehow open to moving Love at the deadline, I actually wouldn't count the Cavs out. The package of Andy, Dion and our 2014 & 2016 1sts is almost close enough to consider. I think you'd need a third team in there. Someone willing move a decent player for cap relief that the Cavs could absorb and send to Minny, that's not the worst haul in the world for them. Then you end up with 2 franchise cornerstones in Kyrie and Love, can draft your SG and C in this draft, and Tristan moves to the position he belongs at, a bench big.

Also, I think Lamarcus is more getable than people seem to think. Portland is treading water. They have a new cornerstone in Lillard, and should start refocusing the team around his skills. Lamarcus is 27 and theoretically entering his prime. He wouldn't be the worst get in the world for us.