• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs inquired on Love, Aldridge and Gasols?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JMcCurry08

All-Star
Reaction score
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/12/...e.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

LeBron Considering Cleveland Return, Cavs Inquired On Love?
December 24 at 10:57am CST By Sean Highkin
According to a new report from Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal, LeBron James is open to the possibility of returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers if he chooses to opt out of his contract with the Miami Heat after the 2013/14 season. Lloyd writes that James is friends with Cavs players Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson, and his new agent, Rich Paul, has local ties.

Lloyd adds, however, that Cavs GM Chris Grant is aware that the team must improve considerably in order to be considered a viable option for James. Grant is reportedly aggressively exploring options to add another impact player. Lloyd reports that Grant asked about trading an Anderson Varejao-based package for Kevin Love following Love's recent comments critical of the Timberwolves, but was rebuffed. He has also inquired on the possibility of trading for the Blazers' LaMarcus Aldridge, the Grizzlies' Marc Gasol, and the Lakers' Pau Gasol.

Lloyd writes that although the Cavs are still open to moving Varejao, who is having an outstanding season, it doesn't seem likely because his recent play has raised their asking price and no team thus far has been willing to meet their demands. A trade of Varejao to the Thunder for Perry Jones III, Jeremy Lamb, and Toronto's protected 2013 first-round draft pick has been discussed, but both sides have concerns about the players they would get back.

So back up, a trade of Varejao for PJIII, Jeremy Lamb, and the TOR 2013 1st has now officially been discussed? Before, it was only speculation on boards such as RCF, but this article is making it sound like it's happened now. Also, why no mention of Perkins? Would we not receive him back? If so, even better! More playing time for the Cavs' young guys and more cap flexibility.

Everything there makes sense except inquiring about Pau Gasol.
Using Varejao as the centerpiece of a Love deal and expecting anything but an instant no doesn't make much sense either.

Also, is Lloyd not the Cavs glorified mouthpiece? IIRC it became evident around draft time that he just reports whatever BS the Cavs organization feeds him. Might be someone else but I'm pretty sure it was him...

Lloyd's article mentioned that the Thunder don't really have any interest in trading for Varejao.

Dude if we get Kevin Love and Lebron, it's a Wrap. Top PF in the League and Top SF, to pair with Kyrie and Dion. Come on now. Seems to good to be true.

Dude if we get Kevin Love and Lebron, it's a Wrap. Top PF in the League and Top SF, to pair with Kyrie and Dion. Come on now. Seems to good to be true.

Just like if you got a 2 time mvp pg, the 2nd best sg in the history of the game and the best center in the game?

Just like if you got a 2 time mvp pg, the 2nd best sg in the history of the game and the best center in the game?

I wouldn't call it a wrap but we'd instantly be title favorites, probably.

Nash is 1000 years old and Kobe isn't far behind him, so I don't think the LAL comparison is too valid.

ya man i mean it hasn't even been half a season and 2/3 of those players haven't been injured the entire time or anything. that was def a failed experiment.

also, if the cavs were somehow able to get love, it is unlikely dion would be on this team. but of course that wouldn't matter anyway if they ended up signing lbj too.

Last edited:
ya man i mean it hasn't even been half a season and 2/3 of those players haven't been injured the entire time or anything. that was def a failed experiment.

also, if the cavs were somehow able to get love, it is unlikely dion would be on this team.

So the Cavs are trying to acquire a Love/Aldridge type of player (be it caliber wise or position wise). To me, it seems the smart thing to do would be to aggressively pursue such a target by packaging Varejao/Waiters/A draft pick, or something of that sort. I doubt that's enough to get Love :chuckles: But I'd start with that. I wouldn't give up our draft pick even though it's the most valuable one...because you'd want to draft a guy like Muhammad and slide him into the 2 spot.

Then of course you're doing all of this in preparation for LeBron, who couldn't resist the "I'm the hero come home!" story and come riding in on a white horse to "lead" the team to multiple titles.

I don't think the Cavs have a package that could get a player like Aldridge or Love without surrendering our own draft picks though, so I'm not sure I'm interested. I'd almost just rather go ahead with what we have in that case, draft a few more impact players between now and 2014, and hope James comes back (I know, 99% of you claim you don't want that).

Plenty of time to inquire on Love at the deadline(depending on how the Wolves are record wise) and before the draft. Pekovic is going to get paid big money and Kahn is such a wild card, you never know.

Interesting...very interesting. I'm not sure what kind of packages Memphis or Portland would want from us.

We wont be able to pry Love/LA/Or Gasol from their current teams this year. I would like to see it, I just am not sure it is plausible.

Also, if we aren't including our pick this year then none of those teams are biting.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."