• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Alex Kirk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cavs?src=hash">#Cavs</a> sign 7-footer Alex Kirk, a center from New Mexico that played on their summer-league team.</p>&mdash; Bob Finnan (@BobCavsinsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobCavsinsider/statuses/498915704855592960">August 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cheap rim protector. Let's see how he guards the rim in preseason. If he sucks, send his ass to Canton and continue the search

Anyone know what the guarantee is on that contract?

If it's less than $50K, my guess is that he's a training camp guy who gets waived last and sent directly to Canton.

Looked much better than Powell in the summer league at least.

Eh... he must be super-cheap for them to sign him.

Also, he should be known as "Captain" starting immediately.

Re: Cavs signed Alex Kirk?

Nothing like the ol' "Ask a question in your thread title move" :chuckles:

He is big and he can shoot. Those are 2 good qualities to have :).

I doubt he'd get any minutes at all. He might be worse than Justin Hamilton from the Heat.

Source: http://www.abqjournal.com/444231/sports/former-lobo-alex-kirk-signs-with-cleveland-cavaliers.html

By Geoff Grammer / Journal Staff Writer
PUBLISHED: Monday, August 11, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Saturday, he was grand marshal in a parade through the streets of Los Alamos on what the county council officially proclaimed “Alex Kirk Day.”

Monday morning in Cleveland, the day was even more memorable for the former University of New Mexico standout center as he signed a contract with the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers.

Cavaliers general manager David Griffin announced the decision in a release posted on the team’s Website on Monday, though details of the contract were not disclosed and it is unclear how much guaranteed money was given to the 6-foot-11 center, who is in Cleveland this week working with the team he spent most of the month of July with practicing and then playing with as part of the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, Nev.

First-year Cavs head coach David Blatt told the Journal in July that Kirk, regardless of the minutes he played in some games during the summer league, was clearly making an impression on the organization as an undrafted free agent.

“Alex has been great for us,” Blatt said. “He was one of the best players in our (pre-Summer League) camp and he’s doing all the things he’s being asked to do. We’ve been very pleased with Alex.”

On Kirk’s first summer league game he started for the Cavs, who that day learned LeBron James would be returning to his home state and rejoin the Cavaliers. That news, coupled with the summer league game featuring this year’s No. 1 NBA Draft pick, Andrew Wiggins, made for a circus-like environment at UNLV’s Cox Pavilion, but Kirk seemed to take it all in stride, grabbing a game-high 12 rebounds in his first professional game, albeit in a summer league scenario.

“The key for me,” Kirk told the Journal, “and what I think everybody wants to know is how am I going to rebound the basketball with all these athletes. I think I showed that I can do that.”

As for the news of James’ rejoining the team, Kirk said he was obviously excited but in his position he had to focus on blocking out distractions to focus on the things he needed to do to make the team, adding watching players around him get cut or traded at a moments notice was a reminder that basketball is a business now.

“I’m going to take advantage of every opportunity in front of me,” Kirk said. “I always have and always will. Honestly, it’s going to be about how hard I work. And that’s the goal, to make an NBA roster. This was the best fit we saw for me after the draft and now I need to make the most of it.”

Kirk, who earned his marketing degree from UNM in May, had one season of eligibility remaining for the Lobos as he sat out his sophomore season after surgery on a herniated disc in his back. He averaged 13.3 points, 8.7 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game this past season for the Lobos, en route to being named to the Mountain West’s All-Defensive team and all-league third team.

With his course work responsibilities completed and after his decision to forgo his final season of eligibility at UNM, Kirk signed with the Tandem Sports & Entertainment and moved to Florida for more than a month of full-time training at the IMG Academy. Between that, the NBA Pre-Draft Combine in Chicago, a dozen pre-draft workouts with NBA teams and then spending the month of July with the Cavaliers, Kirk has lost about 15 pounds, improving his mobility and flexibility.

Despite the contract, Kirk can still be cut from the Cavaliers and still has work ahead of him to make the team’s opening day roster with what is now a somewhat crowded frontcourt. Cleveland’s roster as of Monday, even before the anticipated addition later this month of 6-10 power forward Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves, has projected starting center Anderson Varejao (6-11), forward Dwight Powell (6-11), forward Malcolm Thomas (6-9), forward Eric Murphy (6-10), center Brendon Haywood (7-0), among others.

NBA rosters are allowed 15 players under contract, 13 of whom dress out for each game.

Kirk is the third former Lobo who has signed a professional contract in the past month, joining Cameron Bairstow, who signed a three-year contract with the Chicago Bulls after he was their second-round draft pick in the June NBA Draft, and Kendall Williams, who signed a one-year deal to go overseas and play for the Italian professional team Vuelle Basket Pesaro.

Tony Snell, who along with Kirk, Bairstow and Williams was a part of UNM’s 2010 recruiting class, was drafted by the Bulls in the first round of the 2013 NBA Draft.

Snell, Bairstow and the Bulls are scheduled to play Kirk and the Cavaliers in the preseason on Oct. 20 in Columbus, Ohio.

Ordering my Alex Kirk jersey now.

At least he's not Lance Allred.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."