• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Charles Barkley/Cleveland

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redzone

Sixth Man
Reaction score
Well, since the TNT crew will be traveling to Cleveland/the Q for live commentary now that we made the Eastern Conference Finals, and last time here for the Finals he was resoundingly booed with his anti-Cleveland/Lebron statements, I thought we might track his current/future statements/opinions re the Cavs. While Sir Charles seemed a year ago to be on the Cleveland bandwagon urging LeBron to return here, it seems he has been a little critical these days about the Cavs. For example:

1) He continually chastised the Cavs for not using Love properly;

2) he emphatically stated there is no way the Cavs will beat Chicago without Kevin Love;

3) He urged the NBA to suspend J.R. Smith for at least five games (huh?);

4) He chastised the NBA for ejecting Gibson for kicking at Delly, saying there is no way Gibson should have been ejected, and inferred Delly should have been ejected.

I'm curious to hear his thoughts now that Cleveland won the series in six after being down 1-2 and what kind of reception he will/should get at the Q.

Well, since the TNT crew will be traveling to Cleveland/the Q for live commentary now that we made the Eastern Conference Finals, and last time here for the Finals he was resoundingly booed with his anti-Cleveland/Lebron statements, I thought we might track his current/future statements/opinions re the Cavs. While Sir Charles seemed a year ago to be on the Cleveland bandwagon urging LeBron to return here, it seems he has been a little critical these days about the Cavs. For example:

1) He continually chastised the Cavs for not using Love properly;

2) he emphatically stated there is no way the Cavs will beat Chicago without Kevin Love;

3) He urged the NBA to suspend J.R. Smith for at least five games (huh?);

4) He chastised the NBA for ejecting Gibson for kicking at Delly, saying there is no way Gibson should have been ejected, and inferred Delly should have been ejected.

I'm curious to hear his thoughts now that Cleveland won the series in six after being down 1-2 and what kind of reception he will/should get at the Q.

1) He was right (until the playoffs, where Love started playing more in the post)

2) He was obviously wrong, but he places way too much judgement on a team's front court. He also underestimated the front court of the Cavs, and has since started talking about the emergence of TT.

3) He wasn't alone in this, and the hit was brutal, though I think the NBA got it right in the end.

4) Delly definitely shouldn't have been ejected, but neither should Gibson IMO. That should have been a flagrant 1 on Gibson, and perhaps a tech on Delly.

Yeah, I don't really see why we should be mad at Barkley. Reminds me of when we all hated him for picking Orlando in the ECF and then they romped us. Except this time, he was wrong. Big deal.

Good or bad I like Chuck's commentary more so than almost all the guys on TV.

Pretty much goes (off the top of my head):
1. The guys on "The Starters"
2. Barkley
3. Bill Walton

I'll be skimming thru bars for the next couple of weeks hoping I find Sir Charles. That guy would be one hell of a dude to talk to over a beer.

Charles has pissed me off more than usual this postseason, but save your vitriol for ESPN. If/when JVG and Jackson come to town again, the crowd should let them have it.

Personally I like Barles Charkley. I may not agree with things he says, but I know its coming from his mouth and not a script.

Similarly, I respect Bill Simmons for speaking his mind, even though everything out of his mouth is utterly retarded. But at least I know those are his thoughts and not a company line.

Barkley will always speak his mind and there's no reason to fault him for it. So he didn't pick us to beat the Bulls - a lot of people were skeptical and they definitely had a right to be. It's not a big deal. He's always said good things about the city of Cleveland and the fans here so I think it'd be wrong to boo him just because he picks a series winner like he sees it. I'd rather guys like Barkley be truthful then cater to any particular fanbase.

The love/hate relationship this board has had with Barkley is humorous. We hated him in 2008-2009 when he picked Orlando, we loved him when he chastised LeBron for leaving and when he kept urging LeBron to come back. And now he's not so hot on the Cavs title chances.

He speaks his mind and tells you what he thinks. He might be wrong but I don't think he's anti-cleveland or anti-cavs in some way. Analysts are allowed to be wrong.

Barkley has been all for LeBron coming back here even before LeBron's letter, and has been nothing but complimentary towards this fan base. He talked this city up big time in the home opener & leading up to it. He even lobbied TNT to put him on the telecast because he said he wanted to be here live for it.

He's paid to give his opinions. Sometimes, we won't like them.

As long as he doesn't bash the city or the fans, I'm good with him. I may not agree with his takes on some things, but not everyone has the same opinion as us.

Last edited:
Barkley is the best because he says whatever is on his mind. He doesn't give a shit. And he's funny.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."