• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Charles Barkley on Jim Rome: Lakers still the best team when they try

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nicky_Sats

Sailor Jerry
Reaction score
He also mentioned that LeBron is the best player in the NBA.

Anyone else catch the interview?

I missed it, but I saw Barkley on top 5 of the inside say pretty much what all of us have said. He thinks that you need more offensive weapons that can create once the playoffs come, and that Lebron is not enough. I think he is slightly underrating Mo and Shaq, but I agree with him to some extent. He happens to think that the Magic are deeper than us, and more talented. I guess I would say that they are deeper with offensive talent, but we are going to be awful to teams defensively in the playoffs.

Saying the Lakers are the best team is no big surprise. Everyone was hanging from the Celtics nuts last year-even after the Lakers beat them both times. DEJA VU. Sports guys are frontrunners for the most part. I mean almost everyone chose the Lakers to repeat this year. Whoever wins this year will be favs to repeat next.

He also mentioned that LeBron is the best player in the NBA.

Anyone else catch the interview?

Nicky, I didn't catch the interview, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what he said (play faster, Lebron finishing plays instead of initiating, 2nd option needed to create own shot, etc.) Here's my take on the guy:

When you take everything basketball-related that he says with a grain of salt, Barkley can be very entertaining and likable. But when it comes to analysis of the Cavs, Charles Barkley can eat a dick. He's been repeating the same things about the Cavs for the past 3-4 years, as if this is the same team that had Laura Hughes, Drew Gooden, and Hot Buttered Donald on it. Last week, when we played Miami he was making comments about how Lebron had to "go off" for us to beat good teams and used the close score against Miami as vindication. He didn't even mention our 2 top guards were out (who are also 2 of the 4 best players at creating their own shots on the team), that we'd won X amount of games straight without them, or that we have arguably the best D in the NBA. I truly hope a team is stupid enough to give him the reigns as a GM (never will happen) so he can run them into the ground and finally shut the hell up.

The TNT announcers' complete lack of respect for the Cavs (especially their D) is ridiculous. This team is not the soft Dallas Mavericks that folded in the 1st round a few years ago, this is a versitile, tough, deep, well-oiled defensive machine, motherfuckers.

/Rant

EDIT: Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Nicky

Nicky, I didn't catch the interview, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what he said (play faster, Lebron finishing plays instead of initiating, 2nd option needed to create own shot, etc.) Here's my take on the guy:

When you take everything basketball-related that he says with a grain of salt, Barkley can be very entertaining and likable. But when it comes to analysis of the Cavs, Charles Barkley can eat a dick. He's been repeating the same things about the Cavs for the past 3-4 years, as if this is the same team that had Laura Hughes, Drew Gooden, and Hot Buttered Donald on it. Last week, when we played Miami he was making comments about how Lebron had to "go off" for us to beat good teams and used the close score against Miami as vindication. He didn't even mention our 2 top guards were out (who are also 2 of the 4 best players at creating their own shots on the team), that we'd won X amount of games straight without them, or that we have arguably the best D in the NBA. I truly hope a team is stupid enough to give him the reigns as a GM (never will happen) so he can run them into the ground and finally shut the hell up.

The TNT announcers' complete lack of respect for the Cavs (especially their D) is ridiculous. This team is not the soft Dallas Mavericks that folded in the 1st round a few years ago, this is a versitile, tough, deep, well-oiled defensive machine, motherfuckers.

/Rant

EDIT: Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Nicky

Haha, that was the point of it though to rant on him, no worries at all (probably gave it some more life if anything :D)

He mentioned other things about LeBron being wasted taking the ball out all the time deep in the playoffs/games. I don't totally disagree with that point, but he just rambles on about nothing half the time.

He said the word "frustrated" about 70 times when describing how mad he is that the Lakers don't appear to "try" all of the time.

No one is really taking notice of the difference Shaq and our other acquisitions have made against the good teams either. That is short sighted. People overvalue our team on here a lot I suppose due to homerism, but we were pretty conscious of our weaknesses last year. We look much much stronger in those areas, and it is hardly mentioned.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions is that the Magic dominated us last year. They beat us fairly, but it was a really close series. It could have changed based on a lucky bounce. I think we have addressed our issues to the best of our ability and we are as good as anyone right now.

Haha, that was the point of it though to rant on him, no worries at all (probably gave it some more life if anything :D)

Nice... since there are many threads discussing the Cavs-Lakers matchup, might I suggest the Mods change the title of this to a "Charles Barkley Rants" thread where we can pick this son of a bitch apart whenever we feel like it?! I did a quick search and found no other similar threads. I know I'd most likely be visiting that thread after most TNT Thursday night broadcasts. Just a suggestion...

I'll keep it in mind, that would be one hell of a running topic for sure haha.

Wonder what he says if we beat the Magic tonight.

Wonder what he says if we beat the Magic tonight.

{Does some sort of throat-clearing snort before beginning to speak} "Ya see Urrrnie, the Cavaliers still can't beat the Magic in a 7 game surrries. Lebron James needs to be a finisha rather than a facilitatuh. BLAH BLAH BLAH"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3TLG_LtWhj4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As much as we all hate it, the national perception will continue to be that the Lakers are better. They are the champs until we take the trophy from them in June.

As much as we all hate it, the national perception will continue to be that the Lakers are better. They are the champs until we take the trophy from them in June.

Totally agree. I am almost shocked that Barkley didn't say that Kobe is better. I guess some national run is good run.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance