• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Cavaliers 2014-15 Season

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mokbu

Rookie
Reaction score
Looks like we need an on-going team thread, since most of threads are on individual players or games.

So to start the conversation off, why are the Cavs off to a rocky start three games into the season?

why are the Cavs off to a rocky start three games into the season?

39077.jpg

No chemistry whatsoever. The only ones who seem to want to play well together are LeBron, Love, AV, and Marion. They all have bad habits that they need to get rid of or else this whole thing will fail if they don't. On one hand, you have the best player in the league not being aggressive and struggling on the offensive end and being lackluster on the defensive end. Then you have a PG who plays more like a SG who can't run a set play to save his life because he's too busy admiring his own fancy dribbling and getting buckets than putting the effort to be a factor on every other ends.

Then you have a double-double machine who doesn't get involved enough on the offensive end and is a liability on the defensive end. Then you have a starting SG who wants to prove that he's on the same level as his three all-star teammates instead of buying in and putting himself in the best position to do whatever it takes in order to finally have a winning record.

I've yet to see the brilliance of coach Blatt, not even in spurts minutes. His players aren't running the sets that he wants and his players can't play consistent defense to save their lives.

In all honesty I did not expect them to win, but I also did not expect such a huge margin of loss. The question that I have is - When Do we hit the panic button ? I'm not worried right now cos we have a lot of games coming up and we have a lot of chemistry issues that can only be rectified by playing together for a long time.

It's way too early to hit the panic button. Give it time and if some of those players still don't buy in and still want to show-off individually without making the necessary adjustments and sacrifices and losing games after 30 games together, then it will be time to hit the panic button. Right now, they just need to build better chemistry and that will take time and will be a hard long process.

LeBron needs to wake up and start playing hard because he's playing soft right now. I'm used to him playing in passive mode, but he's downright playing soft right now. I'm not used to seeing him playing that way. He needs to set the tone and be more of a hard-ass type of leader instead of watching and letting those guys dig up their own holes. They won't get the message that way since they are used to losing and doing things their way. He needs to make the first statement by playing better himself.

The idea of sitting back and letting Kyrie run the offense was a bad idea, maybe it was a calculated one to send a message to the young star who seems to think he's still the best player on the team, but nevertheless, LeBron needs to start playing better and eventually, he'll have to hold some of those guys accountable, but right now, he can't do that, he has to let his game do the talking first.

In all honesty I did not expect them to win, but I also did not expect such a huge margin of loss. The question that I have is - When Do we hit the panic button ? I'm not worried right now cos we have a lot of games coming up and we have a lot of chemistry issues that can only be rectified by playing together for a long time.

We don't hit the panic button after three fucking games (one of which we won), that's for damn sure.

You know who else started out 1-2? Last year's Heat team, a team that went 54-28 and made the Finals. One of those losses was to the Sixers, one of the worst teams of all time. That team had the benefit of three previous years of chemistry together and still bungled two of their first three.

Does no one remember the 2010-11 Heat starting out 8-9 either? That team looked like an absolute mess at times, and people were questioning whether they were any good. Then they won 58 games and made the Finals.

Does no one remember the 2010-11 Heat starting out 8-9 either? That team looked like an absolute mess at times, and people were questioning whether they were any good. Then they won 58 games and made the Finals.

i glanced at LBJ's box score those first couple games, he shot like 26% in one of them, and did it again like 10 games later

In all honesty I did not expect them to win, but I also did not expect such a huge margin of loss.

Did you watch the game? We were right in it til about halfway through the 4th quarter.

delly still has the highest plus minus per 100 possessions by far. We outscore the opposition by 8.9 pts/100

The next closest players

Mike Miller and Kevin love at -5.8 and - 5.9 respectively

Dion at -7, Kyrie at -10 and lebron at -15

After yesterday's loss and our apparent RCF early season meltdown, I found this article to be the perfect 'pick-me-up.' Very good read:

Road to First-Year Title Is Steep, but Cleveland Cavaliers' Ceiling Is Higher

"These guys will never be the Big Three until they win a championship," Danny Ainge once said.

He wasn't referring to the current supergroup assembled in Cleveland, but rather the combination of Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen on the Boston Celtics back in 2007, via Marc Stein of ESPN.com.

Ainge, the Celtics president of basketball operations, helped orchestrate two blockbuster trades that summer, bringing Garnett and Allen to Boston to join forces with Pierce.

While Ainge acknowledged their potential greatness, he wanted to avoid the label given to his own championship teams in the 1980s with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parrish. The Celtics would be good, no doubt, but title-worthy already?

So too is the question with the Cavaliers this season. We know they'll be good, but just how good?

So far, the Cavs have struggled out of the gate. After a 101-82 drubbing at the hands of the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday, Cleveland is just 1-2 in its new era.

Despite this stumble, there's absolutely no need for panic. Few "superteams" that have quickly assembled win immediately, and for good reason. It takes time, chemistry and patience.

Unless you're the 2007-08 Celtics, that is.

Can the Cavaliers follow a similar path, or will this younger Big Three need more time to jell?

Championship Expectations

From the moment LeBron James announced his return to Northeast Ohio, title expectations were sure to follow. After all, James carried theMiami Heat to the past four NBA Finals, capturing two rings in the process. James and All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving appeared to be a lethal combination, even on a team brimming with youth.

Still, Cleveland didn't possess the talent or experience that teams like the Chicago Bulls, San Antonio Spurs or Los Angeles Clippers had. The Cavs could eventually be a contender, when players like Irving, Dion Waiters and Andrew Wiggins matured.

As we've learned since then, general manager David Griffin had a bigger plan in mind.

hi-res-853eea83eb800d066c8f611baf565291_crop_exact.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

After sending the past two No. 1 overall picks, Wiggins and Anthony Bennett, to the Minnesota Timberwolves, Cleveland landed arguably the game's best power forward in Kevin Love.

Griffin filled out the roster with veterans Mike Miller, Shawn Marion and James Jones, owners of a combined five championship rings.

Even with possibly the most talent-packed team in the NBA, head coach David Blatt has been quick to transfer praise to those who have already tasted success, via Dave McMenamin of ESPN.com:

Anybody talking about us winning it all, I think they're being unfair to those great NBA teams that are out there that have either won it or have been there to win it, and also to us as a team that's talented but new. We have a lot of work to do before we can start claiming anything before it's time.

While it's wise of Blatt to defer the spotlight away from his own team, it's one he won't ever escape altogether.

Whether he likes it or not, the Cavaliers carry serious championship expectations and may continue to until James hangs up his sneakers for good.

Paper Champs or True Contenders?

Too often we see teams win the summer, yet come well short of any real success during the regular season.

The 2003-04 Los Angeles Lakerswere a prime example of this when they signed Gary Payton and Karl Malone to accompany Kobe Bryantand Shaquille O'Neal. While they would advance to the NBA Finals, theDetroit Pistons made sure the Lakers' stay was short. Detroit dominated the series, winning four games to one.

hi-res-f6b52c24a8059e9b4574058066845a6d_crop_exact.jpg

Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
"Paper champs" often fall short of titles. Can the Cavs be different?

More recent paper champs include the 2013-14 Brooklyn Nets after trading for Garnett and Pierce to complement Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez. Lopez played just 17 games before breaking his right foot and Williams battled ankle injuries, while Garnett (37) and Pierce (36) looked, well, old.

The season before that, many crowned the 2012-13 Lakers as potential champs after they dealt forDwight Howard and Steve Nash. The latter turned 40 in February, has played just 65 games in two-plus years and will likely retire after his contract runs out this season. Howard bolted after just one year for the Houston Rockets and never seemed to see eye to eye with Bryant.

It was only natural, when the Big Three in Boston joined forces in 2007, that many NBA experts were skeptical of their ceiling.

John Hollinger, then of ESPN.com (subscription required), described the Celtics as a "pretty good" team but not great:

Ainge may come up short regardless of how many more cards he plays. The idea of cashing in all your chips is to leave yourself with a team that's truly great. The Celtics with Garnett are merely pretty good, and at this late stage in the free-agent market, I'm not sure they can get much better.

He also stated, with a few more veteran additions, that, "At that point you'd have to install the Celtics as the Eastern Conference favorites, although Boston still would fall far short of the elite teams in the West."

As we know now, that Celtics team was much more than just pretty good, even in its initial season. Actually, Garnett, Pierce and Allen's first year proved to be their best year together.

Boston began the season 29-3, going on to collect 66 total victories. While they certainly didn't cruise through the playoffs (16-10 record), the Celtics eventually took home the title. The Big Three had earned their namesake already, much earlier than some expected.

hi-res-967f23cf1beeef280002f4acef244880_crop_exact.jpg

Brian Babineau/Getty Images
The Celtics took home a title in year one, thanks to sacrifices made by all.

So how can the 2014-15 Cavaliers ensure they're more like the Celtics than Lakers?

A good team-first mentality would be a nice start.

That Lakers team had enough ego to fill the entire Staples Center and half of L.A. to boot. The Celtics, especially Garnett, were willing to sacrifice playing time and money for a ring. They were an elite defensive team immediately, allowing just 90.3 points per game, second-best in the league that year.

While Cleveland certainly won't reach that defensive level, its offense has the potential to be one of the all-time best. How can the Cavs avoid the selfishness that plagued other championship-contending teams? By listening to James, of course.

"I won't allow individuals to be selfish," James told reporters before the Cavs' loss to Portland on Tuesday. "If I'm on the team, you automatically have to be unselfish, so I'm not worried about it."

hi-res-e266a6648ccd70b18fc38218c5053b73_crop_exact.jpg

Nathaniel S. Butler/Getty Images
James: "I won't allow individuals to be selfish."

Well, there you go.

Anyone on the Cavs bold enough to stand up to James and choose a me-first attitude?

(Dion Waiters looks deep in thought.)
Anyone?

*Crickets*

Is a Title Crucial in Year One?

Even with the championship pressure, Cleveland is in a unique situation. Its title window isn't closing, but rather, it's propped open for what appears to be years to come.

In Miami with the Heat, James was quickly being surrounded by an aging roster. Dwyane Wade, he of an ever-growing list of injuries, will turn 33 in January. Chris Bosh is slowly exiting his prime and will hit 31 come March.

While James could have presumably enjoyed another two to three years chasing titles in South Beach, his window with the Cavaliers is significantly longer.

James will turn 30 on Dec. 30 this year, but he is supported by a much younger core. Kevin Love (26), Tristan Thompson (23), Waiters (22) and Irving (22), despite their already impressive talent levels, are years from hitting their collective primes.

hi-res-5244517a408cc73b87d3c1ab353aa665_crop_exact.jpg

USA TODAY Sports
The Cavs' young core remains years from hitting their prime.

Contractually, the Cavs are in good shape.

Irving signed a five-year max extension this summer, meaning he'll be under contract until 2020. James signed a two-year deal with a player option for next season, but he did so in order to gain more money when the NBA's salary cap likely increases due to the new national television deal. It would be a surprise to see James play anywhere but Cleveland for the remainder of his career.

Love can opt out of his current deal next summer, but he doesn't seem interested in leaving either, telling reporters:

That is something that hasn't been talked about, but like I told (David) Griffin in our meetings and Dan Gilbert as well and the powers that be in the front office and all the way down, I'm committed to this team, committed long‑term to the end goal and that is to win championships and to win a championship here in Ohio.

Thompson and Waiters are both still on rookie deals and under team control.

Thompson and the Cavs failed to come to an agreement on a contract extension by the Oct. 31 deadline, meaning he'll become a restricted free agent next summer. As long as Cleveland extends a qualifying offer, it reserves the right to match any offer sheet he signs with another team. Considering Thompson and James share the same agent, the Cavs will likely see to it that both are taken care of financially.

Waiters is eligible for an extension next summer but may face a similar situation. Barring a trade, Cleveland will keep Waiters for at least this season and next.

What does this mean for the Cavaliers' title window?

It allows for some patience, something not all NBA contenders are lucky enough to have.

hi-res-ceda78cfb263eaa8d28e82776ad4973e_crop_exact.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

The 2003-04 Lakers tried to squeeze in one more title before Father Time came a-calling. When they failed to do so after just one year together, Malone retired, while the Lakers shipped Payton to the Celtics.

The 2007-08 Celtics peaked early and could never again climb the top of the mountain. By their second year together, all three players were in their 30s and starting to decline.

Cleveland is in an ideal position for sustained success.

No title this year?

That's OK, James, Love and Irving should still have five more years together. By the end of that stretch, Love will still just be 32, and Irving will be entering his prime at age 28. Owner Dan Gilbert isn't worried about going over the luxury-tax line to keep players, something that caused the Heat to amnesty Miller even after he helped them win back-to-back titles.

Do Cavs have to win a title in year one?
Yes, they're too talented not to. No, the team is young and under contract.
Submit Vote vote to see results

The point is, the Cavaliers don't have to win a championship in their first year together, even though they're certainly capable of doing so. Cleveland is set up to begin a series of title runs over the next six years, barring any major changes to the roster.

Long-suffering fans of the team and city won't like to hear it, but patience really is key. The Cavaliers may have to struggle first and go through some growing pains.

Or, they may not.

James, Love and Irving may just be good enough to lead the team to a title this season, even with a limited amount of experience together.

Expectations are high, but the Cavs' ceiling may be even greater.

So it seems that the term "sacrifice" is key to this year's team as much as "chemistry".

Really, it's a good test to see how some of the more questionable players personality-wise would do in this situation. Will Irving and Waiters be able to adapt despite LeBron's request to think team-first.

I'm willing to give this a chance, but by the 20-game mark, it would be wise to come back to this train of thought. Because that's when the real test will be seen, and getting below 500 may not be as good (just look at the 2010-11 Heat for reference).

One thing people often forget about that Lakers team was injuries. By the NBA Finals I think Fox was out and Malone was banged up and wouldn't play again after like game 3 or 4. Probably would've gotten beat anyway given the margins. But for that last round it was basically the LA Lakers team that went down in the second round against SA the previous year, plus Payton, minus Fox and Horry.

Kyrie Irving is NOT A POINT GUARD. He is only a point guard by title, but he's realistically an undersized SG.

Point guards don't take 22 shot attempts and have zero assists. He's truly a blackhole. This truly explains why such a physical talent like him can't get the Cavs more than 32 wins in 4 years.

Love needs more touches close to the basketball.
Irving needs to function as an SG on offense.
LBJ running the offense.

It's like take turns ISO. But we saw this in Miami didn't we?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."