• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland restaurants still hope to profit from Cavs, even though LeBron is gone

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

raisen

NBA Starter
Reaction score
Cleveland restaurants still hope to profit from Cavs, even though LeBron is gone

Published: Wednesday, October 27, 2010
By David S. Glasier
DGlasier@News-Herald.com

With the Cavaliers opening the 2010-11 season tonight at home against the Boston Celtics, life after LeBron James begins for three Cleveland restaurants just down the street from Quicken Loans Arena.

Gina Alesci, owner of Alesci's Downtown on Huron Road, was able to count on a steady flow of customers before Cavs games during the seven seasons James wore the wine and gold.

"I'm holding my breath a little bit. I really don't know what to expect," Alesci replied when asked if she thought her business would be adversely affected now that James has "taken his talents to South Beach" to play for the Miami Heat.

"LeBron leaving certainly has the potential to hurt me," Alesci said.

"The one thing I'm counting on is that we have a bunch of loyal customers who come in regularly before games."

The same question was posed to Brendan Walton, owner of A.J. Rocco's Cafe and Bar, and Pat McGinty, owner of Clevelander Bar and Grill.

"LeBron was good for our business, especially at playoff time," Walton said.

"I'm an optimist. Life will go on without him. We'll still have good turnout (on Cavs' home dates)."

McGinty said he's adopted a wait-and-see attitude on what effect losing LeBron will have on Cavs' attendance and his customer head count.

"I'm sure we'll have a good crowd (tonight)," McGinty said. "As the season goes on, I'm not so sure."

Along with Panini's, these three eating and drinking establishments stand in a row on Huron Road from the corner of East Ninth Street to East Eighth Street.

When the Cavs are at home and the weather is good, the street scene is lively, as patrons of the four restaurants avail themselves of tables and chairs set up on the sidewalks.

"This corner is associated with sports. It's been a big plus for those of us who have businesses here," Walton said.

McGinty said "about 70 percent" of his business is pegged to crowds turning out for sporting events or concerts at the Q as well as Indians games at Progressive Field.

Alesci said "30 percent to 40 percent" of her business is drawn from that vein.

"When we opened this place in 1998, we had a great lunch trade and the sports crowds were gravy," Alesci said. "Now, especially here at the corner of East Ninth and Euclid (Avenue), downtown looks abandoned.

"That's made sports an essential element of our success."

Walton said his restaurant opens at 7 a.m. for breakfast and is not as dependent on sports or concert crowds.

"With or without LeBron, I'm here at 5:30 in the morning," he said, smiling.

Alesci views the loss of James not just as an owner of a business in the Gateway area, but also as a fan.

"We were the first place in the neighborhood to put up a Fathead of LeBron at the bar," Alesci said, referring to the life-size decals.

"It was our little LeBron shrine. The day after he made the decision, we took it down."

Walton and McGinty also are Cavs fans.

"I really like (new Cavs coach) Byron Scott and (Cavs owner) Dan Gilbert. It will be interesting to see how the team does this season," Walton said.

"Dan Gilbert and the Cavs' front office have created a basketball culture here," McGinty said.

"Now, we find out if people were coming downtown just for LeBron of if they were here for all the positive energy surrounding the Cavs and will be back even though LeBron is gone."

Alesci said she thinks her restaurant and other Gateway businesses will persevere provided that the Cavs hold up their end of the bargain on the court.

"Fans will continue to come to the games as long as the Cavs win," she said.

"We don't need a big name in Cleveland. We need wins."

There is one possible scenario where they might actually see upturn in business. If the seats at the Q become cheaper people will have more money, add that to the fact that they might want some drinks and food after a 20 point loss to a team means that the business' can profit.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."