1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser. You can find the style chooser on the bottom left of the website. - Ben

Closer look at: Anthony Bennett

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by *L-Train*, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *L-Train*

*L-Train* NBA Starter

this guy deserves his own thread. aside from Muhammad he has been the most impressive freshman in the country in my opinion.

here's real GM's write up on him (i posted the one about Shabazz in his thread):

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/225305/Freshman_Prospects_Before_New_Years_Anthony_Bennett

(i don't agree with the writer's conclusion that Bennett will be a late lottery selection. i think there's a good chance that he'll land in the top 5 if he keeps up his play)

3 people like this.
  2. pr26

pr26 NBA Starter

Once the top 5 prospects are off the board (Shabazz, Noel, Len, Zeller, Mclemore), I have a lot of interest in Bennett. His problem is he's a short PF at 6'7, but he also has a power forwards build and a solid standing reach/wingspan. He's an offensive 4 who can stretch the floor and also score around the rim, and that's something that we don't have in Cleveland.

If the kid drops due to measurements, he could be a steal.

3. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

I think Bennett will go top 5 for sure by the time dust settles!

4. NorthCoastBias

NorthCoastBias All-Star

Great scouting video on Bennett by Mike Schmitz of DraftExpress:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0oekBTHJOL4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4 people like this.
  5. howler1313

howler1313 Preview Team

I'm not that concerned with his height; you'll see him regularly finish explosively and above the rim, so with his length+jumping ability I don't think size will be a big negative. Also, the league is slowly downsizing and Bennett fits the smaller, more versatile PF that teams are using more and more.

6. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

Is he a player that can put in time at the 3, or is he a "move Tristan and replace him with Bennett" type of player?

7. Marcus

Marcus Let's go Cabs!

He will drop because of his size, but you can't deny the level of talent and pure potential there. If he drops out of the top 10 he's an absolute steal for whatever team picks him up.

8. pr26

pr26 NBA Starter

I think his offensive game would be fine at the 3, but I can't see him guarding NBA SF's.

I think I'd rather have him creating an offensive mismatch at the 4 anyways. He can stretch the floor, and he can drive on you.

9. pr26

pr26 NBA Starter

FWIW, Draft express has moved Bennett up to #5 on their board.

10. daytripper

daytripper Miracle of Richfield

I likey Tony Bennett, and Len too, but really hope the Cavs are in position to select the very top tier from this draft and that appears to be Shabazz and Noel at this early point. Looking at the Cavs current roster they might not be the perfect fits but those are the two who seem to have the best chance to be future all-stars.

11. adam81king

adam81king Situational Stopper

I just can't get on the Anthony Bennett bandwagon. He's 6'7" and, despite his REALLY long arms, you don't see undersized big men truly thriving in the League. When I see Bennett, I see Jason Maxiell 2.0. I see Paul Millsap. I see Carl Landry. I see guys that shouldn't be starting on Championship teams, but could certainly find a spot in a Championship rotation. If he was available with the Lakers or Heat picks, I'd be more inclined to pick him up. I just can't get into drafting a likely bench guy with a top 5 pick (again--I think Dion is best used as a 6th man).

12. D-Wreck

D-Wreck Valuable Trading Chip

He has way more offensive skill than Maxiell, way more athleticism than Millsap and is more athletic, stronger and more skilled than Landry.

2 people like this.
  13. Homestar

Homestar Situational Stopper

I assumed he was definitely a SF, not a PF. Incorrect?

14. pr26

pr26 NBA Starter

I don't see him defending the 3 at the next level.

15. MVP_Eric_10

MVP_Eric_10 Situational Stopper

There was an ESPN Insider article mentioning Anthony Bennett in the same context as Karl Malone. I had a good laugh at that. I just don't care for undersized PF's these days. Bennett is small than Tristan.

Most of his scoring consists of him just outmuscling his opponent. His post game is all about power, he really doesn't have any post moves. I don't see why the Cavs would have any interest in Bennett, especially considering Tristan's game is starting to develop.

1 person likes this.
  16. TyGuy

TyGuy With the Left hand!

I think this guy is going to be an outstanding pro. He is short, maybe 6'6" in barefeet, but he is long and looks to be somewhere close to a 8'9"-9 foot standing reach. He has big soft paws, is extremely athletic, has good ball handling ability, has range, and can score in a multitude of ways. I'm not sure where he is at defensively, but he looks like a very good offensive rebounder and is a quick, powerful jumper; there is nothing soft about this guy.

I think what this team lacks in a major way is an inside scoring presence. This guy is a threat on the pick and roll, the pick and pop, and appears to be a guy you can just give the ball on the block to create offense.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  17. Wine and Gold

Wine and Gold A View Inside the Game Staff Member

Kid shows me something close to what I saw from Larry Johnson back a handful of years ...

5 people like this.
  18. TyGuy

TyGuy With the Left hand!

They do appear to be eerily similar, they even go to the same school. Hopefully he turns out more like Barkley though.

19. Adam

Adam Reading and reacting

I don't see the post game that LJ possessed in the highlights, seems to me more Faried with a jumper, still a good player to project forward

20. Swisher33

Swisher33 Banned

UNLV List him at 6'8

Randolph
    Lee
    Boozer
    Faried
    Evans
    Thompson
    Aldridge
    Griffin
    Ibaka
    Garnet

Theres the top 10 Rebounding PF in the League, only 3 of those guys are over 6'9, so 1 inch despite the ubber athletic abillity and great shoooting abillity is enough to pass on him at 4? LOL thank god some of you wont ever run the Cavs draft, i would probably stop watching and pray they moved the team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.