1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Closer Look: Otto Porter

Discussion in 'Trades, Free Agency, & the Draft' started by KB, Nov 20, 2012.

?

How much would you trade for the draft rights to Otto Porter?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2013.
  1. Just pick him #1.

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Not interested in trading up to get him.

25 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Trade #19, #31, #33 and Kings (201_) pick

24 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. Trade #19, #31, #33, and Grizz (2015) pick

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Trade #19, #31, #33, Kings and Grizz pick

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Trade #19, #31, #33, Kings, Grizz, and Heat (2015) pick

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Trade #19, #31, #33, and Cavs (2014 top-5 protected) pick

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Trade #19, #31, #33, Kings, Grizz and Cavs (2014 top-5 protected) pick

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Trade #19, #31, #33, Kings, Grizz, Heat, and Cavs (2014) protected pick

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Trade every available pick the Cavs can possibly trade over the next 5 years.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KB

KB NBA Starter

Since his name has come up in multiple threads and I'm sitting at work doing a whole lot of nothing. Which means if work stays like this I may do one for the other Zeller, Tony Mitchell, Kyle Anderson, Alex Len and Isiah Austin...maybe the Frenchie Gobert

I would prefer to see SF taken with the first pick, just my op

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Otto-Porter-6528/

Video on linked page, this write up is a little old but interesting to read this and the one that is more recent below it

more recent write up

http://nbadraft.net/players/otto-porter

If you find more recent scouting reports I will add them to this post, same with the other threads I start like this.

Was a tad lazy with the updating so doing it now

Posts from today with the start of the combine:

Pyro #381

Northcoast kid #384

Ntg #408

L-Train #409

Long write up on Porter and the combine, new measurements yet that I've found when I find them I'll put them up as well.

Just a link to this article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...13-measurements-analysis-and-draft-projection

Measurements:

How he compates with Tristan from a measurement standpoint:

BoomOuttaHere #421

Athletic Testing Results

http://nbadraft.net/forum/2013-nba-combine-athletic-testing-results

Kidduck #589

http://www.hoopsworld.com/could-cavaliers-make-otto-porter-top-pick#qJSDXLqrfwLeddDZ.99

Kidduck # 590

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-52313#vhFJsQgM4v4dx1Iz.99

Nathan S #593

Melecoaze #601

MdS #611

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...p-but-could-still-miss-out-on-otto-porter-jr/

Green Lantern #633

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...rt-cavaliers-eyeing-otto-porter-with-no1-pick

Cavattited #650

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130522/nba-draft-questions/

Cavattited #713

Questions about Porters athletic ability should be deferred to the below chart where Porter is compared to other SF in regards to combine results from the athletic testing drills

• Like Like x 9
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. red.

red. Situational Stopper

This what makes me nervous about him.

3. "Boobie" Gibson

"Boobie" Gibson In the Rotation

No thank you. Otto is a terrible name. Palindrome.

• Like Like x 6
  4. adam81king

adam81king Situational Stopper

I don't like Otto Porter as a prospect for the Cavaliers (he's Tayshaun Prince without the jump shot or stellar defense), but Otto Graham was pretty special for the Browns.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mAo_mAo

mAo_mAo NBA Starter

He is a less athletic Nicholas Batum.

6. "Boobie" Gibson

Different sport. The Otto in basketball will be a failure. You can't succeed with the name Otto in basketball.

7. GQinCtown

GQinCtown Situational Stopper

A jack of all trades, master of none SF with good size out of Georgetown. He's the next Jeff Green. I'll take him with a late first, but if he starts rising up the draft boards, I hope we're not the team that bites.

8. Goldin Brown

Goldin Brown In the Rotation

For the people worried about that jump shot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. "Boobie" Gibson

Yes. That is the type of SF I think the Cavs need, too. I just don't want to take him in the top-10, unless he's a very special do-it-all player (like MKG is supposedly).

This is going to be a very important and very difficult decision for the Cavs. We really need a special big man, but I don't know that there are any sure things this year. There are also quite a few tweeners (SF/PF) towards the top of the draft it seems.

It may sound crazy, but I wouldn't be pissed if the Cavs took a lengthy PG/SG combo who could lock down defensively to complement Irving and Waiters. That way, two of the three could be on the floor at all times. (I think this would be plausible if the Cavs traded for another mid-first round pick)

10. daytripper

daytripper Miracle of Richfield

I watched Porter quite a bit last season and believe he would be a perfect fit at SF playing next to Waiters and Irving especially if his shots are starting to fall. I would personally take Porter over Harrison Barnes at this point. Potentially at this point see Porter on the same tier as Paul George at the next level which means he could be a very good borderline all-star player but not a star who will regularly take over games. Of course Porter will look like an all-star compared to Gee. Mocks will change over the next few months but I'll guess Porter will be chosen around the same point in the draft as George who was picked #10 in 2010. I like Porter over Poythress but actually Goodwin seems to have the most killer instinct between the 3 of them (but don't see the Cavs taking another SG unless it's Shabazz who can probably play SF in the NBA).

If Cavs get a top 5 pick I don't know if they can take Porter as there will be a few very talented bigs that will be more highly rated. Of course my guess is Noel and Shabazz will be firmly entrenched as the top 2 and the Cavs would have to choose one of them if they get a top 2 pick.

After all that rambling, assuming the Cavs don't get a top 2 pick, I wouldn't be mad if they ended up with Porter and a raw big such as Willie Cauley-Stein later in the draft if he comes out. There's also a freshman center at Arizona who is starting to get some buzz out here on the West Coast(also another one at Texas) so potentially there could be more bigs who will eventually be added to all the mocks.

11. BimboColesHair

BimboColesHair I have multiple sauces

Yeah, definitely no longer a poor jump shooter (52% from the floor, 66% from 3, albeit in only 5 games), just was a freshman with poor mechanics. Great passer (3 ast/g), plays good defense, very long, rebounds very well (7.4 rb/g). Its such a huge bonus that he is one of the top SFs and he will have spent the last 2 years playing in Georgetown's Princeton style offense. Not with the first 1st round pick but if the Cavs are able to trade up to the back end of the lotto (where I think he ends up going) I'd gladly take him.

12. MGMT

MGMT Preview Team

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck wit
    He contributes to the game in many facets. I don't know why the "jack of all trades" is deemed a bad thing like some people make it sound. He has a turnaround jumper in the post that's borderline automatic, and looks like a solid-to-good shooter at the moment. He plays well in the offense from what I saw tonight. Again, I would really like to see him attempt to get to the rim more, but whatever.

A lot of people here have said he isn't exciting, and that is true. But team basketball is way more sexy to me than one sexy individual player who doesn't play well within the system, and that is what Otto brings to the table.

• Like Like x 3
  13. adam81king

I like the way Otto Porter plays. He reminds me of Tayshaun Prince. He's got the ability to be a very good player in the NBA. The thing is, the Cavaliers need more than just good players. We need a big man that requires double-teams in the post. We could also use another scorer on the wing (although less necessary). If the Cavaliers could get Porter as a second 1st round pick (even if that second 1st rounder is in the Lottery), like they did with Tristan Thompson, I'd be all for it. I'm just not sure I'd be ok with the Cavaliers coming away with a "glue guy" as their top draft acquisition at this point in the rebuild.

14. B3team

B3team Situational Stopper

Even thought they have different games and positions, this guy kinda reminds me of Andy.

15. Daniel89

Daniel89 In the Rotation

• Like Like x 1
  16. BKnight's Ankle

BKnight's Ankle Sergey Karasev's #1 Fan

Always thought Waiters would be the kind of guy that would think he's too good for Cleveland, glad he proved me wrong.

Hopefully this guy is the same

17. *L-Train*

*L-Train* NBA Starter

how about Chandler Parsons as a comp for Porter? i think Porter is a little more dynamic (and has higher upside because of that) but in terms of all around game and their impact in the NBA i could see Otto becoming a similar player...

(nbadraft.net compares him to Tayshaun Prince but i don't think he's nearly as athletic as Prince was coming out of college)

• Like Like x 2
  18. adam81king

If you don't think Porter is as athletic as Prince, I'm not sure why you'd compare him to Parsons (especially if your reason for disagreeing with the Prince comparison is athletic ability). Chandler Parsons is MUCH more athletic than most people think, and is more athletic than both Prince and Porter.

• Like Like x 2
  19. *L-Train*

*L-Train* NBA Starter

i disagree i think by NBA standards (especially compared to other SFs) Parsons is an average athlete

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Guardian of the Cavaliers

Porter is a SF that the Cavs probably do have their eye on..no player in this draft is that can't miss exciting type..this is a draft where the Cavs have to players that fit and turn weak positions into a strength.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.