• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Crowder to CLE

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Willard513

Sixth Man
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of a way to get crowder to cleveland as a backup 3/D for Lebron but using the Haywood exception, but it's been difficult. I know Boston likes him and all but I would think they wanna make room for James young, who they drafted last year? Any ideas as to how to facilitate this? Just thought I would ask the board about how they value crowder and how they would try to acquire him if they valued him high enough.

Gerald Green is my pipe dream

I agree I just think he is gonna get overpaid, crowder is still really young and can work on his threes but he plays good d and would be more of a bargain contract. Could have great potential.

I'm sorry but the phrase 'pipe dream' has changed meaning considerably since JR Smith's viral comment. I simply can't use it anymore.

He's undersized for his ideal position as a combo forward, and hasn't proved to be a good shooter. He does okay on non-3 point shooting, but on 3 pointers he has regressed, despite high volume.

This is somewhat surprising because he managed 35% in his 2 years at Marquette.

That said, he is one of the guys I have considered as a bench player for next year, basically filling the Marion role. As a free agent, the most the Cavs could offer is the taxpayers MLE for $3.4M per year, and based on how much (and, for the most part, how well) he has played for Boston, I suspect they will pay him more than that.

Being traded to Boston really was huge for him. He was falling out of the rotation in Dallas -- I guess because Aminu was taking his minutes -- and if he had stayed in Dallas the Cavs might have been able to sign him cheap.

If Love returns, I doubt the Haywood chip is used (would mean a huge team salary), unless perhaps Smith leaves. If the CBA allows for a sign and trade (probably wouldn't even if Smith is off the team), I guess you could trade for Gerald Wallace (provide BOS salary relief/capspace) and a signed Crowder with the Haywood contract and maybe another contract (there aren't many possibilities, maybe Mike Miller??).

I guess another possibility is if Love actually signs with BOS (no, I am not Bill Simmons), you could do a s/t and get Crowder in that package.

Short version -- I don't see an obvious and/or attractive way for the Cavs to get Crowder.

Meh. I think the Cavs are fine as is, I think we're plenty deep on the wing with Bron,Shump,JR, JJ, and Miller as the 5th guy/corpse who can still shoot in big games. I wouldn't trade any asset to get Crowder and I think he's actually going to make more money than he's worth and probably more than we can even pay him because of how much cap room is available around the league.

Meh. I think the Cavs are fine as is, I think we're plenty deep on the wing with Bron,Shump,JR, JJ, and Miller as the 5th guy/corpse who can still shoot in big games. I wouldn't trade any asset to get Crowder and I think he's actually going to make more money than he's worth and probably more than we can even pay him because of how much cap room is available around the league.

I'd rather replace JJ/Miller/Marion with a guy like Crowder.

I'd rather replace JJ/Miller/Marion with a guy like Crowder.

Yeah but it's not realistic. He's probably going to command more money than we can spend and it's not worth giving up an asset for.

When you have a team with as much talent as the Cavs, there are a few parts of the roster you have to get by with minimum contracts. The 4th wing is one of them, especially since Crowder isn't that good of a shooter.

I disagree strongly...Miller looks like he is finished and needs to become a coach. I would prefer JJ be the emergency guy at the end of the bench. He cant defend, handle the ball, is slow and is only useful if he is wide open (plus he is not a spring chicken. ) We may get away with a weak bench this year, but Griff is not going to be dumb enough to assume it will work again.

If either JR or Shump went down for extended time LBJ would have to play way too many minutes during the regular season. Plus you have Marrion's spot to replace. Harris has not proven he is a legit NBA player either. I expect a vet wing, or even the selection at 24 to be a wing unless it is a backup PG.

I have no interest in trading for Crowder, but there are plenty vet FA who can be had for the mid level. I like the kid from UVA as a possibility at 24.
He can run the floor, defend, and shoot the three. I think he would be a nice guy to pair up with Sump on the second unit next year.
There is also the chance JR could opt out and be given lucrative offer from another team, which I doubt will happen, but you never know.

I know this may not be the place to do this but I already thought about this scenario.

Khan- from Russia exception(use what the Heat did to sign Granger forgot what it is called)
Draft the kid from UVA at 24
Sign Jeremy Lin or another quality vet PG with the mid level

or Draft best available PG at 24
sign Khan
sign Danny Green (Gerald Green as choice B) to mid level

Could you imagine Irving, Smith, Green, James and Love. My God they would be hell to guard in a half court set as a alternative lineup.

Last edited:
I think the Cavs need to invest in a legitimate backup at the SF spot.

Marion is retiring. Blatt doesn't play him anyway.

Shump is the de facto backup at SF right now, and he's been fine in that role but he's really a guard.

J.R. may well leave, unless you are willing to pay him something like 3 yrs/$24M. Will be interesting to see what type of contract he commands. If he does leave, you'll need to find a SG who can shoot and score.

Mike Miller really should retire, but he's got a guaranteed year left on his contract, so we have to assume he'll be back.

James Jones. He really offers so little other than shooting at this point, at least on the court. I hope he retires, but sort of fear he'll be back.

I think they need a combo forward who can backup LeBron, limiting his minutes, and play alongside LeBron in small ball lineups. The guy has to be able to shoot at a decent clip and defend. If he can't shoot, I don't think Blatt will play him (see: Shawn Marion).

I think Justin Anderson is a possibility (the UVA guy), but I don't think you can rely on a rookie for this role.

Types of names I am thinking of include Teletovic and Jerebko. I will come up with a full list at some point. These would be taxpayer MLE type of guys.

I think for backup PG the ideal solution is Mo Williams. He's a guy who could be interested in coming here on the vet minimum. I just think that makes a lot of sense.

They'll then need a big to fill out the roster. I guess Kahn is a possibility, but it's sort of hard for me to believe he'll be the best option.

Danny Green is getting WAY more than the mid-level.

I think the Cavs need to invest in a legitimate backup at the SF spot.

Marion is retiring. Blatt doesn't play him anyway.

Shump is the de facto backup at SF right now, and he's been fine in that role but he's really a guard.

J.R. may well leave, unless you are willing to pay him something like 3 yrs/$24M. Will be interesting to see what type of contract he commands. If he does leave, you'll need to find a SG who can shoot and score.

Mike Miller really should retire, but he's got a guaranteed year left on his contract, so we have to assume he'll be back.

James Jones. He really offers so little other than shooting at this point, at least on the court. I hope he retires, but sort of fear he'll be back.

I think they need a combo forward who can backup LeBron, limiting his minutes, and play alongside LeBron in small ball lineups. The guy has to be able to shoot at a decent clip and defend. If he can't shoot, I don't think Blatt will play him (see: Shawn Marion).

I think Justin Anderson is a possibility (the UVA guy), but I don't think you can rely on a rookie for this role.

Types of names I am thinking of include Teletovic and Jerebko. I will come up with a full list at some point. These would be taxpayer MLE type of guys.

I think for backup PG the ideal solution is Mo Williams. He's a guy who could be interested in coming here on the vet minimum. I just think that makes a lot of sense.

They'll then need a big to fill out the roster. I guess Kahn is a possibility, but it's sort of hard for me to believe he'll be the best option.

I agree. (Pure speculation but) I'm thinking JR wants to stay in Cleveland and we'll lock him up. I wonder if we'll try to use Shump (or possibly JR instead) in a package with Haywood's contract to get a solid SF (or maybe SG) - a guy like Marion (but in his prime or closer to it).

LeBron has never played with a legitimate back-up at SF has he?

Last edited:
Haywood contract and/or Shump for Wesley Matthews? Wonder how much he will command. Probably unrealistic but just throwing it out there. Would be the perfect 2.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."