• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Deposed Mangini trumpets Browns' progress, has few regrets

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MoGottiFor3

#ALLin216
Reaction score
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Jan. 4, 2011

Let's be honest: In another place, at another time, Eric Mangini would not have been fired. So he didn't win many games this season with the Cleveland Browns. Neither did Gary Kubiak in Houston. But Kubiak is back and Mangini is not because the Houston Texans have the patience that Cleveland does not.

That is not a knock on the Browns. It's an observation.

Jake Delhomme's turnover tendencies didn't help settle Eric Mangini's QB problem in Cleveland. (Getty Images) It's also the reason Mangini was home Tuesday, taking his boys to school, instead of studying the Browns' depth chart and wondering how and where to improve it. Mangini lost over twice as many games as he won in his two seasons with the Browns, and the team's management decided enough was enough.
I get that. But be careful what you wish for. Mangini did what he was supposed to do, which was to lay a foundation for the future and return the Browns to respectability. I don't care that they were 5-11 this season. I care that he took a team that didn't have an abundance of talent but did have an abundance of injuries, as well as the NFL's toughest schedule, and made it a factor.

I'm serious. The Browns were the last team to beat New England. They clobbered defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans in New Orleans. They beat defending AFC North champion Cincinnati, ending a streak of eight straight division wins. They should have beaten Tampa Bay and the New York Jets. They could have beaten Kansas City and Baltimore and Atlanta and Jacksonville.

I know they didn't. They also didn't have the players or the talent those clubs did, with Mangini forced to play half the season with his third-string quarterback, rookie Colt McCoy, and without defensive captains Scott Fujita and Robaire Smith.

So injuries happen. They happened in all the wrong places for Cleveland, and they doomed the head coach. Look, I don't know that Mangini would've made it had he beaten Buffalo and Cincinnati or not gotten hammered by Pittsburgh at home in the season finale. But I do know that he didn't have a chance once he couldn't steer clear of those defeats.

That's supposed to be OK because that's life in the NFL. But it shouldn't be OK for Mangini because he did what he was supposed to do -- put the Cleveland Browns back on the map. Yes, you would have liked him to win more, but he made the Browns something they were not, which was relevant -- and if you don't believe me, ask the Patriots.

Say what you will about Mangini. I say he's a coach who knows how to make a football team whole, proving it when he finished last year with four straight victories and again this season when seven of Cleveland's games were decided by four or fewer points and 10 by no more than seven.

"I really believe this was a different situation than what I went through in New York [with the Jets]," he said Tuesday morning, "because there it was all about trying to figure out who you are and how well you can do with your next chance. But in two years here my growth professionally and personally has been tremendous. I think I feel a lot more comfortable in my own skin, and that was huge for me.

"What I know now is that you don't microwave success. You build something to last, and that takes a lot of hard work, discipline and patience. Pittsburgh is a great example of that, and it's reflected by its record.

"When I look back at what we accomplished, I think we dramatically changed the culture of the building and the organization. Football became relevant again in Cleveland. People were passionate about the team again, and I think that came from the passion of the players. The city felt it, and was excited about it.

"I'm proud of that, and I'm proud of the guys we had there. They're the types of players that you can build with because there are mentors now in the locker room. Because of that I think the Cleveland Browns have a chance to build something special."

They do, and it would have been nice to see Mangini have that chance to build it with them. But Jerry Glanville was right when he said the NFL stands for Not For Long. Josh McDaniels lasted a year-and-a-half in Denver. Mike Singletary was around for two-plus seasons in San Francisco. Brad Childress was fired a year after signing a contract extension. Tony Sparano may be gone after three years in Miami, and Tom Cable's future is in doubt after winning every game within the AFC West.

Mangini should've known this season wasn't going to be easy. It never is when the team's president and GM didn't hire you. But Mangini also knew what he had to do -- make a bulletproof case for himself -- and he failed, with consecutive losses to Buffalo and Cincinnati almost certainly cementing his fate.

So he was fired and now considers life after Cleveland. Already, he said, he has been contacted by college and pro teams looking to hire him, but he's in no hurry to make the next move -- and he shouldn't be. Instead of the first opportunity, he must look for the right one. In the end, Cleveland was not that place.

Had he been afforded more time -- as Kubiak has in Houston or Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville -- it might have worked. But the Browns are on the clock, and team president Mike Holmgren and Mangini come from completely different backgrounds, so it's no surprise their one-year marriage didn't last.

In fact, it's a wonder it lasted this long. It's to Holmgren's credit that he stuck with his head coach after Mangini's first season, but I don't know many within the NFL who thought it could survive beyond this season. Nevertheless, Mangini declined to fault Holmgren for his dismissal. He knew the Browns had to make something dramatic happen, and they didn't. And when the team collapsed down the stretch it was over. Holmgren didn't have to say it; those empty seats in the second half of Sunday's loss said it for him.

"I'm not sure what I would've done differently," Mangini said. "I think at that moment we made the right decisions. I don't know if I had the chance that I would've done one thing differently. I know I wish we could've finished games better. I'm not sure what exactly broke down, and I would've studied that in the offseason -- trying to determine what was the difference in the first half and the second half."

What could have been the difference for Cleveland this season was its quarterback, and I say "could have been" because I don't know if the Browns found themselves a future starter or not. Once I thought I did. But, the Colt McCoy I watched in his first five starts was different from the quarterback I saw finish the season -- and the numbers reflect it. Where he committed three turnovers in his first five games and authored the upset of New England, he threw six interceptions in his final two. More than that, he seemed to lack the confidence and swagger that characterized his earlier starts.

"For a rookie he did a lot of good things," said Mangini. "You hope [the interceptions] are an aberration, but they're definitely a concern. The development of Colt McCoy [is critical to the future of the club], and you really hope he can continue to improve. I think he can, but he must protect the football."

Of course, that was an issue with the Browns all year, and it started with Jake Delhomme. He was supposed to solidify a position so unstable that in 2009 Mangini won five games with his quarterbacks completing a total of 33 passes in those victories. So the Browns imported Delhomme, and he responded by committing a raft of errors -- including two interceptions in the season-opening loss to Tampa Bay, a game where the Browns blew a 14-3 lead.

"[The Browns] need more playmakers on offense," said Mangini. "Ben Watson had 68 catches, and that was a huge upgrade for us. Peyton Hillis did a really good job, but there was no back behind him, and once he was hurt [he broke two ribs in a Dec. 26 loss to Baltimore] it really slowed him down."

Yet despite all that, the Browns hung tough for most of the year. I don't know what happened down the stretch. What I do know is that for three-quarters of this season the Browns were one of the most intriguing, most competitive and most compelling stories in the NFL.

In short, they were one of the league's toughest outs, and don't ask me how Mangini or his coaches managed with the roster they had. I just know they did. Which is why I know that in a different time and a different place, Eric Mangini not only would have lasted; he would have been successful.

"I know we were on the right path," Mangini said, "and I think the city was disappointed we didn't win more -- as we were. But I'm proud of the way the guys played and how hard they played, and that's the first step. There's not a sense of loss or regret because I couldn't be more proud of the guys and the changes we made, and that's the first step in creating something special. If that's going to be my legacy here then I look at it positively."
This is sometimes why I have 2nd thoughts about the firing, but then losses like against the Steelers, Bills, and Bengals also make me realize it was the right decision.

Either way I wish Eric the best of luck in the future, he made the Browns at least fun to watch again.

Even the frickin Bengals are smart enough to keep a coach in for more than 2 years. They just resigned Marvin Lewis after a terrible season.

Even the frickin Bengals are smart enough to keep a coach in for more than 2 years. They just resigned Marvin Lewis after a terrible season.

He's been there a lot longer than that though... but we'll see how the firing goes for us. I still wouldn't have minded Mangini for another year but under the condition that Dabol was gone.

I'd bet money that the coaching carousel will be over for a while, barring some kind of disaster obviously. Once H&H bring in their guy he will be given more time and leeway to rebuild the team. That was Mangini's problem, he was never their guy. So I hope we get someone good because I bet he will be here for a while.

unfortunately i have absolutely no doubt that where ever mangini goes next he is going to have a hell of a lot of success. One of the things that really stood out to me, was his transformation both from a physical and personality stand point from his first year to his second year. Anyone that is willing and can change that much for the better over a short period generally ends up succeeding in what they do. I think that given a couple more years here he would have really built a winner of a team. This is not faulting holmgren but it really pisses me off when people come in and say "well he isnt my guy, i didnt hire him, I want to go in another direction" While holmgren did not do that last year, he is clearly doing it this year. hopefully it works, because if it doesnt and the browns dont win at least 7 games next year the next coach and holmgren are going to be deservedly under a hell of a lot of fire.

Smart enough? Keeping a coach who has had 2 winning seasons and 2 Wild Card round playoff exits in 8 years is smart? We have very different definitions...

unfortunately i have absolutely no doubt that where ever mangini goes next he is going to have a hell of a lot of success. One of the things that really stood out to me, was his transformation both from a physical and personality stand point from his first year to his second year. Anyone that is willing and can change that much for the better over a short period generally ends up succeeding in what they do. I think that given a couple more years here he would have really built a winner of a team. This is not faulting holmgren but it really pisses me off when people come in and say "well he isnt my guy, i didnt hire him, I want to go in another direction" While holmgren did not do that last year, he is clearly doing it this year. hopefully it works, because if it doesnt and the browns dont win at least 7 games next year the next coach and holmgren are going to be deservedly under a hell of a lot of fire.

I don't think you have to worry too much about Mangini getting another job any time soon. Fair or unfair, I definitely get the vibes that Mangini's reputation around the league is pretty poor. I don't get the feeling many players enjoy playing for him to be perfectly honest.

I'd be stunned if Mangini gets another NFL head coaching job in the next 5 years to be perfectly honest. Now if he gets the Connecticut head coaching offer, he should jump all over that one. I do think his knowledge of the game and his ability to teach young players would be really fantastic for the college game. Not to mention he could be as much of an asshole and disciplinarian to his players as he wanted to be and it wouldn't matter because they would graduate by the time they got sick of him.

I don't know how well his personality would go over on the recruiting trail, but he had enough personality to woo his way into two NFL head coaching gigs so maybe that wouldn't be a problem either.

Smart enough? Keeping a coach who has had 2 winning seasons and 2 Wild Card round playoff exits in 8 years is smart? We have very different definitions...

Maybe so, but at this point I wouldn't mind making the playoffs twice in 8 years. You?

Maybe so, but at this point I wouldn't mind making the playoffs twice in 8 years. You?

This is horrendous reasoning. You don't praise an 0-2 playoff record in 8 years. You expect better. The Bungles' decision was pretty ridiculous when you look at Lewis' 8 year body of work.

IMO the blame for Mangini being held to unrealistic standards this year lies on Randy Lerner for hiring Mangini, then hiring Holmgren, who has a different system in mind. Obviously, we should all be ok with the Holmgren signing long-term, as he is a proven winner. It just sucks that a young guy with a ton of talent (Mangina) may have been given a raw deal in the process.

Actually, I don't think the Bengals were all that smart to keep Marvin. IMO, he sucks.

I'm not sure how going 4-12 when you added more talent to a team that won the division merits a contract extension. But then again Mike Brown is a moron so that factors in also.

I really hope we get a damn good coach, I'd prefer someone who has had success somewhere as a head coach but Holmgren's done well since he's been here in bringing in Heckert who has in turn brought in some damn good talent in just 1 offseason.

If you lose two out of every five games during your young head coaching career, you should admit to at least a handful of regrets. You admit that you learned something. Otherwise, you look like a headstrong buffoon.

I don't understand why Marvin Lewis hasn't lost his job. He's accomplished nothing- NOTHING- with the Bengals and it seems like he's been there forever.

I'm not arguing for Marvin Lewis. I don't think I'd stick with him for 8 years. But at least he's been given time, which is more than any coach we've had since '99 has had.

I loved Mangini...and I always defended him....but even I felt like it was time to move on. After the way we lost to Buffalo and Cincy and almost lost to the damn Panthers. Something just wasnt right.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."