1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Dion Waiters

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Ruggeder, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Ruggeder

Ruggeder Situational Stopper

So....ya. What does everyone think?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ruggeder

Re: Welcome Dion Waiters

Hard to believe this is what the cavs wanted. I can't believe we couldn't get something done for a better prospect.

3. Cratylus

Cratylus Connoisseur of Classy Brunettes

As much as I'd like to trust the Cavs braintrust, do you realy use the #4 pick in the entire draft to select a guy who couldn't crack his college team's starting lineup???

4. Ruggeder

I have a feeling that this will be another really questionable pick just like last year's. Grant isn't wowing me. They better be able to get that deal done for Barnes. At least getting both of those guys plus our 2 second rounders should lead to one of them paying off.

5. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 Send Sideshow to ASG

Good pick: My dream of the anyone but Barnes has come true :chuckles:.

Looks like he's got the skill level, good strength, and first step to be successful plus plays with a bit of fire in his belly. Only concern I have is does he have enough athleticism to make for his lack of good size and wingspan? Floor seems Randy Foye with his size, Upside which Hollinger liked is a mini-Wade

• Like Like x 1
  6. InBoobieWeTrust

InBoobieWeTrust Savior of Humanity Staff Member

I don't think this is fair, to be honest. He was certainly talented enough to start.

My concern with Waiters is his ability to compete defensively on a night-to-night basis in the NBA. He has the strength and he's big enough, but will he compete and does he understand defensive schemes? If not, he will struggle to stay on the floor for 30+minutes a night.

If he can, he's a supremely talented offensive player. He can get to the rack at will, he can get to the FT line, he can shoot a little, and he can finish at the rim. Complete offensive package, IMO. Very high overall ceiling.

Still worried about selecting him at #4. Luckily, Beal and Gilchrist were off the board or I would have melted down like most other people.

Chris Grant will have to answer for this pick eventually, I hope that he is right and that Waiters can compete in this league.

7. CPK

CPK Sixth Man

I will say this... Grant's choices of Tristan and now Dion are either going to make him a genius or jobless in two to three years.

• Like Like x 7
  8. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Back in 2002

I'm fine with taking Waiters. If they weren't going to gamble on Drummond at least they took someone with some upside. It's the rest of the draft that I'm disgusted with.

9. Shakalu M.D.

Shakalu M.D. Its Happening!!!!

He's like LeBron in the sense that he's built like a brick shithouse and when he gets a head of steam he's basically unstoppable. Tht said, I'm kind of concerned that he gets fat. :chuckles:

10. ice cream man

ice cream man In the Rotation

Barnes and TRob will be at the very least, solid starters. Waiters may not even be that. Measured almost a full inch shorter than Beal and has a shorter standing reach/wingspan. Great scorer. Hasn't proven he can do anything else. Terrible pick.

11. AanandM7

AanandM7 Missing the 2003 Draft

After decompressing a little, I can't say I'm excited, but I can't say that we are screwed. Our small backcourt bothers me, but now we have two guys with killer instincts back there and both can get to the hoop. Hopefully, his maturity issues were overblown and he keeps improving. The more I thought about it, the more I realized the other options weren't that great either. We are going for a home run here, let's hope it works.

12. Pioneer10

Pioneer10 Send Sideshow to ASG

Waiters is growing on me. I think the Cavs are going to be very hard to defend with Irving and Waiters together. Irving and Scott will help hide Waiter's weaknesses on decision making. Then on offense watch out, backcourt is going to be like Dumars/Isiah, Westbrook/Harden. Either will guy get to the rim on isolations and PnR's AND be able to hit the jumper after their teammates penetration forces the defense to collapse.

13. Wine and Gold

Wine and Gold A View Inside the Game Staff Member

I'm pretty dissapointed in terms of value. The very clear best player on the board was Robinson, and when you have a team as thin as the Cavaliers are, especially amongst bigs ...you clearly take the player that is far and away the highest value on the board. Value is value ...it eventually, if needed, can be moved for equal value down the road. But, Waiters is pretty much what we know him to be ...a pure scorer. I see a backcourt of Waiters and Irving really giving our bigs fits down the road because they will have trouble keeping their opposition in front of them, and in Waiters, they could easily shott over him as well. He's not a good defender, even at the college level. So, I can't come out of this feeling very good at all, sorry to say. Waiters will score, but not sure he's a guy that turns points into victories. To me, Dajuan Wagner with three inches more on him...

• Like Like x 6
  14. ice cream man

ice cream man In the Rotation

Thank you.

15. The Human Q-Tip

The Human Q-Tip NBA Starter

Hard to argue with that. It's really a function of drafting TT last year.

Zeller is the type of center that pairs well with TT. Problem is, I don't see a universe where a 4/5 combo of TT/Zeller can win a title.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Damage

Damage ****face

Does this need debunking for the 100th time?

17. Numbers Guy

Numbers Guy 1234567890

It all comes down to last year.. hate to jump off the TT bandwagon I've been on all year but we should have gone Valanciunas.. and drafted TRob this year.

18. I.K.W.T

I.K.W.T Season Ticket Holder

I literally haven't been this bummed ever. I can't welcome him.

19. Damage

Damage ****face

20. MoFlo

MoFlo Administrator Staff Member

Really?

So you're more bummed now than you were for any of the times we've lost in the postseason those 5/6 years?!

• Like Like x 1