1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Do you want an NBA season?

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by warddj86, Aug 28, 2011.

?

If it were up to you, would there be an NBA season?

1. Yes! I need to see the Irving-Thompson duo!

47 vote(s)
    33.6%
  2. Yes, but only because Irving needs a year to get on the NBA learning curve before he can be dominant

13 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. No, it will be tough, but it could pay off for them in the long run

63 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. Undecided

17 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. warddj86

warddj86 Cincy and Baltimore are 3rd and 4th

Normally, I wouldn't bother to ask a Cavs fans message board on their level of desire about an upcoming season.

However, if the 2012 season doesn't play out, the NBA Draft lottery is then repeated, and the Cavs have a great chance of picking up either Rivers, Beal, Drummond etc.

With the additions of Thompson, Casspi, and Irving, I don't see the Cavs being the second-worst team in basketball if there is a next year, so I was just wondering.

If it were up to you, and nobody were to find out, would you want to sacrafice a sub-par year of Cavs basketball for the potential of several great years in the future?

BTW, I have been on the fence about this, just so nobody thinks I'm one way or the other.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

Of course I want an NBA season. Everybody except for Tracy McGrady wants an NBA season. Here's what I want even more: A system that does not allow three stars and a member of management to collude and plan behind closed doors, using people like Worldwide Wes as the man more powerful than David Stern and all the GMs combined in getting things done. I'd trade the season for a system that works.

• Like Like x 40
  3. chrisrich91

chrisrich91 Rising Back Up

I'd like a season but I will gladly forfeit it for the combination of 1) a fixed system, and 2) the 2nd best shot at the #1 pick again. If we have the 2nd best odds again, we're guaranteed one of Rivers, Beal, Drummond, Barnes, or Gilchrist (assuming they live up to the hype). I'd give up the season to strengthen my favorite team in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  4. caf

caf Banņed

I want a season because I am scared the NBA will do what the NHL did. In which case, we would be fucked.

But I also want to see irving/thompson. I think TT is going to surprise a lot of people.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Backstage

Backstage A winning record? Pshaw!

I expected it to be overwhelmingly yes. I have come to find myself entirely disappointed.

6. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

Where is the "Of course, because the Cavs are winning it all" option?

I want the owners/players to resolve their differences and for the season to start before January. i don't see any guaranteed advantage for not having a season. It's not like the Cavs or anyone else are guaranteed top picks in the next draft. We have no idea how those will work out.

If the owners/players are stupid enough not to resolve their differences, then I'll wait til next year, but I won't be happy about it. Who is voting for no season and why? What good is that? Only good thing I see is one more year where the Heat don't win a championship. I admit that's not a bad thing.

This is not true (at least it's not true yet). The league is under no obligation to order the 2012 draft according to the 2010-2011 results. I guess this is highly skewing the poll.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Backstage

Backstage A winning record? Pshaw!

I just want to know how it pays off for them in the long run. If the system is fixed, neat! If not, then what? The owners are going to get what they want. While they will seem to compromise, they are definitely going to come out more ahead than the NFL owners. I don't want to wait another year of basketballlessness just to see another lottery. I'd rather still have something to talk about for that time period, see Kyrie and Tristan grow, see if Casspi enlivens the Jewish community of Cleveland, and see if we can't make a trade or two to get some more young pieces.

Not having a season? What're you going to do, watch hockey? Take up a new hobby? Those voting "no" don't understand how rough it will be on you as a fan without a season. I would rather there be a next year so we can still say "there's always next year."

8. nime

nime Boilermaker

No, LBJ another year ringless.

Gives Cavs a top 5 pick in a solid draft.

• Like Like x 2
  9. wuck

wuck Hustling on the inside Staff Member

If it gave the Cavs a top 5 pick in the draft, I would be all for it. But there's no telling if it will.

There has been no announcement or confirmation on how the draft will work if the season gets cancelled. They could do it like the NHL did, and the Cavs would get a pick in the middle or the late first round. What good is that? The draft order hasn't been determined. No way we can count on it to deliver a high pick. I would much rather play the season, which is far more likely to deliver a top pick.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DougHeil

DougHeil The LeFraud Interaction

How depressing it is to even think about going through a winter in Ohio without any NBA basketball. What the fuck do you do when you are snowed in and nothing to watch? I'm not watching hockey. Sorry. There's OSU basketball I guess. They should be pretty good. Hard to believe the NBA and the players really don't seem to give a shit about the fans. If they do they have a funny way of showing it. I'm guessing they take the fans for granted and they think the fans will support the NBA no matter what. I'm sure that's true but it still sucks.

11. BigErieCavsFan

BigErieCavsFan Sixth Man

Had to go "Undecided". Only because I will be bored as fuck all winter long (especially weekedays, we did get lucky and will have football this year). But it sure is a nice perk to think if we do miss a year, the Cans should fare well...

12. blank964

blank964 Sixth Man

On one hand I really could live without an NBA season. I'm tired of the players running the league, the stupid owners who talk about losing money and then give ridiculous contracts to play who don't deserve them, and I'm tired of David Stern. Plus if it means we can get another high draft pick without having to sit through another shitty season then I'm all for it.

However, no season would mean that a lot of people who make their living working for the companies involved with the NBA would be out of work. The players and owners will still be dumb and rich regardless of what happens but I don't want the little people to suffer because of both sides stupidity. Plus let's be honest, by week 10 of the NFL season the Browns will probably be out of contention for a playoff spot and I'll need something else to talk about.

13. KCOTT

KCOTT OSU Alum

^^^

14. KCOTT

KCOTT OSU Alum

I'm sort of fed up with this age of basketball, too. It needs to return to the 80s/90s when players weren't best friends. Give them a year off without pay to think about it.

15. Hydroponic3385

Hydroponic3385 Snitches get stitches

Call me greedy, but I want both of these AND some basketball to watch this season.

I vote for a shortened season (being optimistic yet realistic here), Cavs very high lottery pick (and acquire another nice 1st rounder for good measure), and the cHeat losing again (Mavs? Bulls? Lakers? Thunder?). Then bring on a 2012-2013 season with an Irving/Drummond/Thompson/wing core and a cHeat team blaming each other for their continued failures.

16. Scholar

Scholar Sports Archaeologist

Your poll is terribly flawed. Where is the option for voting for a shortened season? This is really the best option for a good draft pick by the Cavs. Any scenario where the season is completely lost is very risky for where the Cavs will pick. It would also be the best option for them to be able to unload the assets they have that they likely move this year if there is a season. For instance, you can't trade Jamison if there is no season. He'll simply expire. Plus, players that are traded at the deadline would actually be more valuable then usual because the games after the trade deadline would represent a much more significant portion of the season then they would normally.

With that said, I would dump the whole season if it was the only way to fix the present CBA mess. No way do I want to see a repeat of the Miami fiasco in another city or two, I want to see competitive basketball that includes locations that aren't just the handful of "preferred" locations by NBA players.

Something else people need to keep in mind. This upcoming draft might be complete crap if you are required to wait 2 or 3 years to enter it. We'll see how that unfolds as the negotiations eventually start in earnest.

• Like Like x 14
  17. warddj86

warddj86 Cincy and Baltimore are 3rd and 4th

I'm about 70% no, 30% yes on this one. My thought process is like this:

A) I want the Cavs to be good and relevant during the era of the hybridity of homoeroticism and media hype known as the Miami Heat. With a young, super-talented core of GREAT players, I really do think that this could very well be a rivalry.

B) I am a firm believer that Irving will be a great player in this league. However, I also believe that our best player for the foundation of this team is in college currently. I think that Rivers, Beal, Drummond, Gilchrist, McAdoo, etc. will be the main cog in the machine that is the '10's Cleveland Cavaliers. Think about it, Cavs fans. An opposing player pulls up for a mid-range shot. Tristan comes over with his ridiculous wingspan and block it, outletting it out to Kyrie, who makes a beautiful tough pass to *insert star here* for the dunk. A crowd of fans that deserve a good team gets what they wish for, and are raucous at the Q.

C) LeBron doesn't win a ring, and a year of his prime is spent doing other displays of dumbassery.

And, although this has SO little to do with the Cavs performance, with a year without worrying about NBA-related activities, Kyrie can take more classes at Duke, which will help him get a nice chunk of his classes completed.

My view is this:

If there is an NBA Season in 2011-2012- Cavs (32-50; fourth in Central Division; 6th worst record in NBA (give or take)) 6.3%

If there is NOT an NBA Season in 2011-2012- Cavs (19-63; fifth in Central Division; 2nd worst record in NBA (2010 standings) 19.9%

And that is my argument.

18. Jon

Jon ~

(*) Yes, because I never want to see another poll like this where self-proclaimed fans argue their team would be better off without a season.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tornicade

Tornicade High five!

seems some cavs fans have replaced james worship with future draft pick worship. I didnt vote on this poll. I want to see what the cavs do with jamison. How Samuels games develops. if casppi helps improve the perimeter defense. If gee can become a solid nba game. What position eyenga nails down and if he can become a force. What the team looks like with davis,irving running scotts system and if the defense emerges as a plus.

I want to see Measurable improvement from the season before. I am at a severe disconnect with some of these championship or nothing type of fans

• Like Like x 3
  20. CleveRocks

CleveRocks There go the Cavs!

NBA fans want to see basketball. We want a season. AND we want the league fixed so that Miami fiasco cannot be repeated, and so that stupid owners cannot sustain perennially crappy teams, and so that players who under achieve are not rewarded for mere hype (I am looking at you Kwame), and so that major market teams cannot dominate to the point that the rest of the league becomes their farm teams.

I don't think that is asking too much.

If possible, I personally would like to see Basketball grow internationally to soccer proportions..

• Like Like x 1